What keeps you running? (Read 2110 times)

I look my best blurry!

I really don't know what keeps me running but I know what won't stop me this time.  

A little story-I took piano lessons for a couple of years as an adult. I had always wanted to learn and dreamed of being a great piano player. I was convinced by my teacher to perform in a recital. She thought I would do well and it would be fun. During the recital I had terrible stage fright and bombed. After the recital, playing the piano was never the same. I couldn't even sit at my piano at home an enjoy it. The lesson I learned was that I won't let that happen to me with running. I will work to get over any disappointments. I run because I love to, not because of any attention it brings me or the races I do well in. If I embarrass myself a little or if things don't work out like I've hoped, a month from now the only thing that will matter is that I will still love to run!

I like this thread.  I needed it today.  

Also, music or no music while running? Why?

Oh, and I found that "We will Rock You" by Queen is at the perfect beat to maintain proper steps per minute.  It's a good timing run.

It had less to do with the song, and more to do with maintaining running focus.

I've had workouts in the past where I'd play that song for 30 minutes straight making sure that I'd hit my stride properly. 

But, I don't listen to music anymore when I run.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

cixelsiD

The urge to have another cigarette keeps me running. MUSIC! MUSIC! MUSIC! From Lamb of God to Johnny Cash is in my player. One of the best bands to run to no matter what the pace--------Clutch. I also have a loyal mutt the runs almost every step with me.
        mikeymike

I don't know.

Runners run

runjanerun

Just because I love it.  If I placed it on an external measure like time or pace, I would have quit long ago.  I am not the fastest, and I'm not even always the fastest me. I'm not right now.   But it brings me a lot of joy.  I can't imagine running ever not being in my life.  After over 12 years of running, I've never taken off more than 5 weeks and that was surgery imposed.  I am a miserable person without it.

L Train

I blame Finn.

I don't like to exercise and so far running is the only exercise that I've found that doesn't feel like exercise to me. It is also good for my mental state.

I sometimes run with music and I sometimes don't. 

Prince of Fatness

I blame Finn.

Leave me out of this.  I've got my own problems.

Not at it at all. 

I don't like to exercise and so far running is the only exercise that I've found that doesn't feel like exercise to me. It is also good for my mental state.

+1

The King of Beasts

I am more of a jogger.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Teresadfp

One day at a time

liar

I was about to post, "Ha!"

I just started running today after taking a break for over a month.  NOT running has shown me why I need to run!  My weight has gone up and I've been very grumpy.  I've been stressed out about my college-aged son's illness and that's why I stopped running.  Stupid!!

"run" "2" "eat"

I RUN BECAUSE I AM IN A REALLY BIG HURRY TO GET THERE.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

xhristopher

First, I don't think there's a more fun and simple form of exercise. A natural human activity that you could do, if necessary, with zero special equipment.

I need to figure out this zero special equipment thing because I spent too much $$ on shoes and cold weather gear last year, which cut way into my beer budget.

xor

Hostess lemon pies keep me running.