What keeps you running? (Read 2110 times)

Seanv2

On some days, I enjoy it. On others I force myself out the door because I know that if I make it through the bad days, the good days will be even better.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

I'm glad I had that 90 minutes of happy me time before the shit hit the fan.

Girl, you crack me up Big grin

- Anya

I look my best blurry!

Hostess lemon pies keep me running.

That is just pathetic but right now I would like to try this method.  I need something to pick me up and get me out the door.  Would a Poptart help?  

mta- I have frosted cherry, wild berry and cookies and creme available. 

xor

Pop tarts come in twos.  I've never been able to understand people who eat *a* pop tart.

Also, in my brain, pop tarts have fruit-like substance.  Cookies and Creme?  That's a "pop tart".

I look my best blurry!

Pop tarts come in twos.  I've never been able to understand people who eat *a* pop tart.

Also, in my brain, pop tarts have fruit-like substance.  Cookies and Creme?  That's a "pop tart".

OK, OK!  Which flavor provides the best motivation?  I take it that it's not C&C.  I'm thinking the frosting might provide and extra boost.  

...  I've never been able to understand people who eat *a* pop tart.

Me neither... but without the emphasis on "a". Smile

jfa

I RUN BECAUSE I AM IN A REALLY BIG HURRY TO GET THERE.

There's no need for shouting here.

I try not to analyze my desires too much for fear of what I might find in that self-discovery process. Yikes.

I've been thinking about this a bit and frankly the best I can come up with is: Unfinished Business.

I was injured for some of my prime marathon years (and years when my scheduled would have allowed me to train) and I'm just trying to see what I have left in me. 

If I wasn't running,or couldn't run, I'd be doing lots of P90X type exercises, and hill sprints.  I love that kind of stuff.

dennrunner

Habit.

Then you do not understand me.

When you are able to eat "a" pop tart—you will be ready.

MTA: SRL You caught me with my modifier showing.

xor

When you are ready to eat "a" pop tart—you will be ready.

Well I will know when I know.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not sure, but the fact that my alarm goes off at 5:00 am every (weekday) morning indicates I must really love it.

No music.

Because my Ex-Fiancée called me fat and because of some unfinished business on the track.

"It's a must that you outwork your competition today! Think training is hard? Try losing!" Eric Thomas

kaneb80

What a great thread. Lots of interesting, thoughtful, and hilarious responses.

Primary factor that keeps me running: the journey. I've believed for a long time it's about the journey, not the destination. Goals are great, PRs are wonderful, and competition reveals character. But most exciting is the journey involved in each run that, if necessary, can be described in words but can only be understood by those who experience it - runners. I've always found the discovery of new areas out in the creation and inside myself to be full of endless adventure. It's like a novel by yourself, about yourself - and that's not necessary to be explained away to others. Runners will understand you; others will marvel, pity, or be endlessly curious of you.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I keep running:

To keep getting new PRs.

To maybe someday reach those old PRs from high school.

To go farther.

To lose weight.

To eat more.

To get away from the stress of : house, job, family, bills, all the other clutter in life that clouds your mind and infects your soul.

To clear the mechanism (srlopez will get that).

To spend time with friends.

To spend time by myself.

To get faster.

To slow down and enjoy the scenery at a less than frenetic pace.

To explore new areas, new towns, new states.

To meet new friends.

To become more fit.

To find out how far I can push myself and make it hurt before I quit pushing.

To get tougher mentally.

To be an example to my kids.

To lower my pulse.

To feel the self-satisfaction of being one of the few out training.on a 10 degree day with snow whipping against me.

To catch the faster people in my running club.

To catch some rays.

Mostly, though, as fellow RA'er DgRosen said recently "There has never been a run I have regretted heading out for; but there have been plenty of runs I have regretted not going out for."

And music?  No.  Tried it for a week or so.  I'm faster and more relaxed without it.

Hostess lemon pies keep me running.

Yum!