What keeps you running? (Read 2110 times)

Why is it sideways?

Sometimes it is possible, despite your best efforts and a hundred godamn miles a week, not to even exist.......That, my dear, breaks my heart.

Outside Lane

What keeps me running?

• The changing seasons
      • The fact that it helps me stay thinner and more sane
      • The feeling I have when I finish a run
      • runningahead.com (it's a big part of my running routine)
      • The occasional 5K, 8K, 10K that I sign-up for
      • My family

See how they run...

I look my best blurry!

I'll have to try the lemon pie. The Pop TartS didn't make me want to run again. I managed to run but the tarts were more of a deterrent than a motivator.

Am I doing this right?

What a great thread.  

Some of the things that keep me running:

• My weight loss battle.  
          • The races.  I'll never win an award (in a race of any size), but the clock is the ultimate competitor.
          • My dog, Bo.  The look in his eyes when he knows we're headed out...you try saying no.
          • The feeling of accomplishment after getting done with a great training run.

Running has changed my life.  Not many people in real life can appreciate that.  So I come to places like this.  Most of you can appreciate it.

No excuses....

What keeps me running?

How do I love thee, let me count the ways

I love it!   love getting outside, love the sense of accomplishment, love finding new trails, new routes, love running around town & watching people watching me while they sit in the fast food drive-thru,  endorphins,  love running in the rain, the snow, the wind & the cold & sometimes being the only crazy person out there, love pushing myself, better than sitting around watching tv or sitting at a bar stool wasting my life away, pride, love having people at work or church ask me whenever they see me how far I ran that day.  Nowdays people who know me don't ask if I ran but rather "how far did you run today"

What motivates me to run?  all the above + this:  I am not as fast now as 25-30 yrs ago but back then (even though considerably faster) don't ever remember placing in any races.  Nowdays as I continue to slowly improve in my over 50 AG running career, sometimes everything falls into place & I can even come away with an AG placing.  Although AG placings are still rare, I am slowly, very slowly closing the gap.  Maybe by the time I am 80+ I can maybe win some AG medals!

protoplasm72

I just love it.  Of my 2 most favorite activities it is the one I can do for the longest time.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

xor

I just love it.  Of my 2 most favorite activities it is the one I can do for the longest time.  

Not me, man.

Prince of Fatness

Really?  I can drink beer longer than I can run.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Sometimes it is possible, despite your best efforts and a hundred godamn miles a week, not to even exist.......That, my dear, breaks my heart.

Training was a rite of purification; from it came speed, strength. Racing was a rite of death; from it came knowledge. Such rites demand, if they are to be meaningful at all, a certain amount of time spent precisely on the Red Line, where you can lean over the manicured putting green at the edge of the precipice and see exactly nothing.

I look my best blurry!

1. Run 2. ?

The young Mama Bear!

Heh, for not expecting this thread to float as well as it did...this is great! I loved reading all of them (even your smart-ass ones).

Now, anyone know how to heal shin splints super quick? Disapprove

Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

My Little Pony hair.

I run because it made my fat ass a bit less fat. 

I keep running because I can.

Music, music, more music, of all kinds and styles.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                          • run 1000k
                          • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

When I think about skipping a run, I think of the humans who used to hunt by chasing prey into exhaustion. Then I feel guilty. Also, I like the alone time.

I love this thread!

. to be alone, to meet new people, and to catchup with friends

. for prayer time, for crying time, for bitching time, for me-time

. because I can and others cannot

. to set goals and to either achieve them or to miss them and have to go out another day to achieve them

. health, strength, and confidence

. run til I puke or walk til I can run

. to not give a damn what others think when a 49 y.o. woman is running around in a sports bra

. to know that I can finish it

. for the feeling of casually saying, "I only did x miles" today and watching people's jaw's drop or for the feeling of knowing that I woke at 5 am (I truly love my sleep)  and completing my training mileage and absolutely no one knows about it (not even my husband who is out the gym at 5am)

. to set PR's or, after my personal worst, still following thru with training.

. WINE

. because I'm a better person and younger now than I was 16 months ago, 10 years ago, or even 20 years ago.

All of the reasons listed above but I've got to mention one of the best days of my life.  I ran a long race and then went to my son's baseball practice.  They didn't have enough fielders because of Spring Break.  I grabbed a glove, shagged balls, and had a blast.  I could not have done that 6 months before.  The other players were shocked that a mom is out there playing with them and catching their balls.  I felt like a kid again.  Now, when I don't feel like running, I remember that sound of the ball thunging in my glove and I'll go out for a few miles (which usually turns into a few more and then maybe a few more) so I can maintain the level that I've finally reached.

Music?  Yes and no.  Many times I choose no music.  But then again, there is nothing like hearing your songs when you are tanked in a race.  But any time I listen to music, only one earbud so the other is free to hear either traffic or the sounds of others in a race.  Don't want to be one of those stuckup b-----s in a race and besides, it's way too much fun to listen to their dirty secrets.  But the music helps in the alone, training runs.

I keep running because I can, and because it makes me happy.  Smile

Michelle