Help, I am a snackaholic! (Read 677 times)

Runslowalksalot

I've been doing pretty good on my eating lately, and training is coming along well.   However, as part of my new gym membership, I got 2 free PT sessions.   My trainer is really knowlegable, and tells me that If really want to improve, I need to lay off of the beer (I knew this, just didn't want to hear it), and If I don't go on the wagon completely, only drink on rest days.

I REALLY like beer, not getting drunk, just the flavor, and the act of drinking. Since laying off the booze,  I've found that I'm now eating more in the evening after dinner  when I'm not hungry, the times when I would normally have a few beers.  My hands need something to do.    It's tough with football on!

I'm really a salty, junk-food snacker, but I've taken to snaking on celery sticks, apples, oranges and the like, avoing my usual snack mix, cheez-its etc...

IT'S REALLY TOUGH!!!    I'm trying to be good, and do give myself 1 day per week to indulge, but I need more options for satisfying my urge to munch.

I can't be the only one in this situation.   What does everone snack on to satisfy their cravings that are low in refined sugar, and fat?

Thanks...

jmctav23

2/3rds training

since it's winter, and you like the act of drinking things, have a go at hot tea.  Lots of flavors to try, it can be as simple as brewing a bag in a cup or as complex as making your own spiced chai tea (not the mixed powder junk).  Sip on it slowly and it should fill you up with that nice warm fuzzy feeling.  In the evenings I enjoy red Rooibos made creamy with some milk since it has no caffeine.

Not dead. Yet.

I don't keep snacks in the house.  When I decide to cheat a bit, I get just enough to eat in a day and often I will throw the rest out if there are leftovers the next day.   I also keep healthier snacks around and try to eat those often so I never get too hungry.  Try to keep them to around 100 calories.  Fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, snack cheez-it packs, string cheese, granola bars, etc, etc.  When you feel the urge to snack, have one of the aforementioned "healthy" snacks, or make a simple sandwich.  Even if it's not what you really want, once you eat it, or even start eating it, you will like it and it will satisfy your urge.

Snacking at night can be the worst.  I get around that by having a late dinner.  I have a healthy snack at 5 or 6 and they started making dinner at 7:30.  That has me eating at 8:00, and keeps me full, usually until I go to sleep.

When you do cheat, enjoy yourself, but try to keep it lower calorie if you can.  I like Chex mix instead of potato chips.  A steak dinner instead of a bunch of fried chicken.  Just keep in mind that whatever you cheat on now, you will still have to burn off later.

Finally, find a gum that you like and keep it around.  I chew way too much nowadays, but it's better than smoking or snacking.  My favorite is Trident Vitality.

I have lost 95 pounds in the last six months and these are all things that have helped me do that.  Alot of running didn't hurt either!  Good luck!

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Runslowalksalot

Thanks for the advice.   I think instead of beer in the evening, I'll go with green tea.   Sunday is my cheating/rest  day.   After a bowl of kashi and a protien shake,  I put my bike on the rollers for 30 minutes to help my legs recover from the thrashing my trainer gave them in the gym on Fiday, lunch was a bowl of brown rice with edamamme and tofu.    My cheating meal will be a plate of loaed nachos during the Patriots game.  Funny, I'm not getting the cravings for junk food like I used to.     A late dinner sounds like a good idea as well.

Any other healthy snack ideas?

No more marathons

Don't know how healthy it is, but I keep a bag of mixed peanuts and raisins to snack on.  Also roasted, unslted almonds.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Snowdenrun

I am a snackaholic too. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing. I'm someone who has to eat throughout the day. 3 meals does not cut it for me. Currently my snack foods are apples, oranges, bananas, walnuts with some chocolate chips, granola bars, beef jerky, crackers or veggies with hummus, sometimes chocolate milk.

My day time snacks tend to be "healthy", but my problem is the before bed snack. That's what always gets me. I'm currently not allowing ice cream in the house, that's my weak point right now.

sugnim

It's not the best idea, but I like frozen Greek yogurt with nuts or fruit on top.  If you want something salty & crunchy, you could do air popped popcorn with a little garlic salt or chili powder--no butter.  The key with either of these snacks is to give yourself a single serving in a bowl, slowly eat it & enjoy it, and don't get up for more.

If you really want to avoid snacking, try brushing your teeth earlier than you usually night.  Maybe even use some mouthwash. After that, you won't want to eat anything because it will make your mouth dirty again, and it won't taste as good after you've brushed your teeth anyway.

Thanks for the advice.   I think instead of beer in the evening, I'll go with green tea. 

I drink a cup of herbal tea almost every evening during the colder months. It brings me much joy. Smile

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If you really want to avoid snacking, try brushing your teeth earlier than you usually night.  Maybe even use some mouthwash. After that, you won't want to eat anything because it will make your mouth dirty again, and it won't taste as good after you've brushed your teeth anyway.

That's a pretty good idea.  Mint Scope Peanut Butter sounds awful!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Runslowalksalot

Thanks for all of the help.    I've taken to drinking green tea in the evenings and am cutting back beer to just rest days, 1-2 days per week.    I've taken up greek yogurt with blueberries in it for a post workout mini-meal.  Sunday, my rest/indulgance day, I didn't even get what I wanted.    There were only about 3 non crushed chips left in the bag, so I settled for a bowl of chill (that would have otherwise gone over the nachos), with cheese and scallions in it.   Not the same, but I saved brobably 30-40 grams of fat at least, and only had 3 lite beers during the game.

On the flip side, I had a great run this morning, I did 400 M repeats over 5 miles, then hit the gym after work, with pleanty of energy left in the tank!

Jess runs for bacon

If you like salty, get roasted and salted soybeans. Kinda like peanuts but less fatty and more (?) protein. Make sure you measure out a serving and put in a separate bowl so you don't keep diving in.

If you're finding that your hungry between meals it might be that you should adjust what you eat at mealtimes.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And, whatever snacks you have on hand, peanuts, soynuts, potato chips, read the label and divvy them up into single-serving portions in ziplock bags.  Don't permit yourself to touch more than one in a day.  It's way too easy to eat four or five "servings" at a single sitting.

And, whatever snacks you have on hand, peanuts, soynuts, potato chips, read the label and divvy them up into single-serving portions in ziplock bags.  Don't permit yourself to touch more than one in a day.  It's way too easy to eat four or five "servings" at a single sitting.

Good advice. If there's an open bag of chips here, I tend to go into a hypnotic state eating one after another. If there's dip, even worse. If it's tortilla chips with salsa and/or guacamole, all bets are off!

Wing

Joggaholic

Unshelled peanuts, pistachios, sun flower seeds ...etc. Shelling them slows down your eating and keeps your hands (and teeth) busy.