New WR: Beer Mile (Read 381 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And what was that bit about the magical temperature for maximal CO2 dispersal -- which temperature he did not specify?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Joann Y

he didn't specify. which is all the more suspicious.

joescott

c'mon, spaniel, maybe you are just a little envious.

what's your beer mile PR?  have you gone under 7?  you don't have to feel inadequate.  you're among friends here.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

c'mon, spaniel, maybe you are just a little envious.

what's your beer mile PR?  have you gone under 7?  you don't have to feel inadequate.  you're among friends here.

Sorry, I don't engage posts like this.  You disappoint me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

joescott

Sorry, I don't engage posts like this.  You disappoint me.

Hey man, I'm totally sorry to offend you.  It was meant as good-natured ribbing on a light-hearted topic, not in the least to be an irritation.  I just find the whole topic of beer miles amusing and so I guess I got a little carried away.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

Hey man, I'm totally sorry to offend you.  It was meant as good-natured ribbing on a light-hearted topic, not in the least to be an irritation.  I just find the whole topic of beer miles amusing and so I guess I got a little carried away.

No issues, tone in text and all.  Just not sure and I've developed a strong distaste for negativity and didn't expect any from someone like you whom I've respected.

Yes, I've been sub-7 and my home track is accurate but probably 15-20 sec/mile slower than a real track (cow-rutted former pasture with a hill in turn 4, other RAers can validate my assessment).  Gotten slower with about every attempt.  Smile

I can't see having any envy on someone almost a full minute faster than my current ability over a full mile, it's just another world.  But having run a good number of beer miles it just doesn't jive.  In fact tonight I filled a standard beer can with water and emptied it the fastest way possible, making sure there was open air and no bubbling from over-angle to slow it down.  I could not get a can to empty in under 6 seconds, and when I did empty in 6 seconds there was always drops left over from what is behind the lip or still feeding down the sides of the can.  He emptied at least the second can in no more than 4 seconds, without an apparent drop to spare.

What I see on the video is simply too fast and too clean to match with what I have experienced in real life and in tests.  I hold an annual beer mile, so as a scientist you bet I've experimented with what works best.

As I said, I'm not calling BS but I would need to see some answers to the above discrepancies before I would believe this is all legit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

What I see on the video is simply too fast and too clean to match with what I have experienced in real life and in tests.  I hold an annual beer mile, so as a scientist you bet I've experimented with what works best.

As I said, I'm not calling BS but I would need to see some answers to the above discrepancies before I would believe this is all legit.

Well. if cold enough, those cans of swill don't froth much or even hiss when you open them, so I really do not have any issues with him controlling the foam.  As for the drinking speed yeah that does seem fast.  I am not sure that I could drink a can of plain water that fast but that does not mean that no one else can.  I would say that this looks legit to me.  I suppose what he could have done to remove doubt is show a close up of the cans prior to starting.

That video is quite inspiring.  I need to run another beer mile.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

That video is quite inspiring.  I need to run another beer mile.

I happen to know of one and the date. It's pretty cool and the host is quite fast and hospitable.

As for the video, its pretty cool. I too wondered about the two middle beers. Very fast. I've never seen anyone do that as fast without some variation of can opening beyond normal.

I say if he did it once, he can do it again. This time let's have competitors or more people to validate. I think he should race that Nick fella who threw down the sub 5 gauntlet. That would be fun to watch. Until then, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and I will still try to work on going sub 8. That is if I were to participate in such tomfoolery.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

I happen to know of one and the date. It's pretty cool and the host is quite fast and hospitable.

Never say never.  Again.  Except this year.  Won't be starting back up with running until toward the end of the summer.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Never say never.  Again.  Except this year.  Won't be starting back up with running until toward the end of the summer.

Who said anything about running.  That's only half of the event.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I say if he did it once, he can do it again. This time let's have competitors or more people to validate. I think he should race that Nick fella who threw down the sub 5 gauntlet. That would be fun to watch. Until then, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and I will still try to work on going sub 8. That is if I were to participate in such tomfoolery.

I say we send him and Nick an invite to this year's event.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I happen to know of one and the date. It's pretty cool and the host is quite fat and despicable.

FTFY Big grin

As for his drinking speed, I've got no issue with that.  I knew this chick in college who had the talent of being able to "open her gullet" and simply let 3-4 beers from the funnel go straight into her stomach in about 3 seconds flat.  Kind of disturbing actually.  I'm sure she's not unique in such skill.

I'm just curious as to how to get it out of a can so fast.  Not saying it can't be done, I just can't reproduce it.

Re the elite invites, I'm all for it.  Although they might be a bit snobbish and request a track without such "character":

On On

I was thinking we could get a nice beer mile going after the USATF Cross Country Nationals in Dec.  Finn, it is close enough to both of us that we could go watch and cheer even if we don't compete.  I can drink and watch others run, I have no problem with that.

Prince of Fatness

I can drink and watch others run, I have no problem with that.

That's pretty much what I have been doing the last 6 months or so.  I am trying to avoid a timetable but am hoping to hit one of your trail races either in the fall or winter.  Been too long.

Not at it at all. 

RunNow

In fact tonight I filled a standard beer can with water and emptied it the fastest way possible, making sure there was open air and no bubbling from over-angle to slow it down.

You actually took the time to do this?