Marine Corps Marathon - Need week before marathon training tips please?! (Read 111 times)

Pumarunz

I think I'm just paranoid. I got too overzealous before the Richmond Marathon and my ex had me doing more training than I normally would have because it was HIS 1st marathon and he had the goal of running under 4 hours.... (which didn't happen and he got a reality check at the half point and finished in 4:49 due to going out too fast the 1st half).. I ended up straining my hips during the 10-mile tempo run the week before the race (1st mistake) ....then he had me start in HIS corral (4:00) - (2nd mistake cause like cattle out of the gate...I kept up with them for the 1st 3 to 6 miles)....then 9 miles into the actual race...I wanted to quit I hurt so bad....NOT FUN! But, somehow I was able to push to the finish.... nothing like hitting a wall at 9 miles in! hahahaha

I just want to do everything right leading up to this race so that I can have a GOOD experience instead of a crappy one like my last one! This is my redemption marathon! I have no doubts I can finish.....but under 5 hours would be optimal..... closer to 4:30 would be a miracle! :-) I ran 5:05 in Richmond and 4:39 in Nashville (my 1st marathon).

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Shite. I've been doing this all wrong.

20-25mpw, including a long run and strength training?  Sure, I don't see why she couldn't finish feeling good.  Sub-5 might depend on her fitness going in, but it sounds like there aren't exactly indentations on her couch cushions.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Pumarunz

DUPLICATE POST

Pumarunz

20-25mpw, including a long run and strength training?  Sure, I don't see why she couldn't finish feeling good.  Sub-5 might depend on her fitness going in, but it sounds like there aren't exactly indentations on her couch cushions.

Well, I typically have at least one tempo run or speed work session, one regular short run, and then a quality long-run. I've been training a lot along the Blue Ridge Marathon course which includes 2 mountains and boasts being America's Toughest Road Marathon (since I live in Roanoke). This way I challenge my muscles and get the hill work and feel like I'm getting a quality long-run in without putting in a butt load of mileage. I'm a single mom and don't have the time to put in 35-50 miles per week which would optimally give me more confidence going into a full marathon. But, running with only 10 to 15 miles per week, I ran a 2:11 at the Blue Ridge Half Marathon in April and then during my marathon training I finally broke 2 hours at the Hokie Half Marathon in September. I'm hoping for just a good race experience!  Smile