Garmin question: 935 vs Fenix 5(x) vs Fenix 5 plus (Read 85 times)

fullstackme

It's about sales time around X-mass and Boxing day, which matched nicely with Garmin launching new gadgets recently & now discounting old-ish models. And it obviously triggers that idea from the back of my mind about upgrading my old Forerunner 220 with something newer and capable of capturing more data / tackling GPS better / having some smarty functions in the sports watch.

So, dear RunningAHEAD community, can you please help with a piece of advice on the topic above and share your thoughts which of the models is really worth it? I've read plenty of reviews and comparisons but can't really decide if I need all these fancy "smart" features like offline music (I never ran with music before, tbh) or NFC payments of Fenix 5 plus (is Garmin Pay viable?), or if offline maps (the only thing that catches me in Fenix for real) with stainless steel or sapphire glass are really practical in Fenix 5(x), or maybe just Forerunner 935 is good enough without any whistles&bells of Fenix 5 series.

Sorry if this has been asked 100s of times, I'd be happy to find anything that'd help to come to a conclusion. It can sound nitpicking since all three models are quite cool and powerful, and it's probably just me who buys expensive gadgets for hobbies once in a while and doesn't want to overpay for a fancy wrapping or good marketing.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

If you are really using it mostly for running the forerunners are the best. I have the 645 music which I got on black Friday. I am doing lots of miles so I like the music on watch, but having the 630 previously and many forerunners before that, I recommend them. I have tried the fenix and other garmin watches and returned them in favor of a mid price forerunner. My 2 cents.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

I had a 935 but found lots of trouble with the altimeter giving rubbish results. Got a Fenix 5 and no issues at all despite the suggestion that the 935 is just a plastic Fenix 5.

However one big difference is that the altimeter port on the 935 is on the bottom of the watch on the 935 and on the side for the Fenix.   I suspect the 935 port was getting junked up with sweat, skin, sunscreen etc despite regular rinsing.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

dhuffman63

Trails

I've had a 235 forever now and it suits me except for the battery life.  One good thing about it though is I can charge it while wearing it.  I am going to give the Instinct a try.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I didn't think I would use Garmin Pay at all, but I find that I use it frequently.  It works at any NFC terminal, which is most of the stores I frequent. I have a Vivoactive 3, 2.5 years old and it works fine except for the altimeter, which I think is essentially useless on any watch.

MTA: On a lark, I used it at an ATM this evening. Advantage: You don't have to wait for the machine to spit out your card. Disadvantage: You need to be a contortionist leaning out of your car window to get the watch in the right place.

fullstackme

So many valuable opinions, thanks a lot! I started thinking if I generally need to jump that far from 220 to 935/Fenix, maybe a mid-range model would also work...

If you are really using it mostly for running the forerunners are the best. I have the 645 music which I got on black Friday. I am doing lots of miles so I like the music on watch, but having the 630 previously and many forerunners before that, I recommend them. I have tried the fenix and other garmin watches and returned them in favor of a mid price forerunner. My 2 cents.

I see, FR 645 seems to actually stay quite close to 935 speaking of functions it has. Was there anything in particular that motivated you to return Fenix in favour of FR 630/645?

I had a 935 but found lots of trouble with the altimeter giving rubbish results. Got a Fenix 5 and no issues at all despite the suggestion that the 935 is just a plastic Fenix 5.

However one big difference is that the altimeter port on the 935 is on the bottom of the watch on the 935 and on the side for the Fenix.   I suspect the 935 port was getting junked up with sweat, skin, sunscreen etc despite regular rinsing.

That's interesting. Functions wise, it sounds like there aren't many differences between Fenix 5 and FR 935, I suppose... Do you feel it's more like a bit better overall or there's something extra (along with altimeter) you like in Fenix 5 compared to 935?

"That's interesting. Functions wise, it sounds like there aren't many differences between Fenix 5 and FR 935, I suppose... Do you feel it's more like a bit better overall or there's something extra (along with altimeter) you like in Fenix 5 compared to 935?"

Basically identical.   935 is lighter. Both have good battery life.

Just the altimeter on the the 935 is crap otherwise would have stayed with it.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

fullstackme

Good to know, thanks! Thinking more towards Forerunner again.

dhuffman63

Trails

Check out dcrainmaker.com he does a very comprehensive report on any watch along with a comparison.