Cell Phone recommendations...? (Read 1137 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So my POS LG phone is going on 3 years old. The antenna is mostly busted off and has a wad of duct tape on it to keep the sharp bit of remaining metal from cutting me. I have long wanted to ditch this phone, since we qualify for the "new every 2" program, anyhow. Does anyone have recommendations for phones that work well for running...clipped to the waist? I'm thinking an internal antenna would be less bothersome and not have the risk of breaking...but are there any with good reception? As it is we are nearly in cell phone Hell as far as coverage is concerned. I'd also like a flip or slider style phone (so that I don't have to lock/unlock the keypad and can easily call if I have a running emergency), but the flip would be nice if it didn't flop around on the run--which is one issue I have with my current phone. Verizon currently has a good offer on the LG Chocolate phones...but I don't need that much phone, unless it would really suit my needs well (I don't NEED camera, mp3 player, etc...though it seems all phones are doing these things, now). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I live in the cell phone dark ages. I have a Tracfone. Roll eyes It works, that's all I ask. Nothing fancy, it's not even a flip phone. No Internet, no camera. I buy units as I go along.

Michelle

My wife and I both have sony-ericssons and we love them. I have the w810i, she has the newer w580i. They're mp3 capable with a pretty good camera, which we don't really use that much but it's nice to have. The reception is really good from our experiences with the phones. Her phone even has a fitness program on it, counts the number of steps and a few other things. I think it can estimate your speed and distance too.
          I have a pebble- I actually just carry it in a ziplock bag (it rains a lot here) when I am running. I got mine from ebay because I don't like getting my phones from the cell phone company- everytime you get a phone through them you have to renew your contract. I do not like being locked in a contract since it costs almost $200 per line to cancel to contract. I would look at ebay- you can get good phones for pretty cheap.
          PWL

Has been

I have a Tracfone.
            Wait...what? A Tracfone? I didn't know they still had those! Wink Just kidding--my mom had a bagphone until about 18 months ago.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I have a recently retired pebl. I don't run with a phone, but I can't imagine a phone that would work better than that. They're tiny. You can have mine if you don't want to buy one, though mine is tmobile. I'm just going to recycle it.
                Wait...what? A Tracfone? I didn't know they still had those!
                They don't make my version anymore...

Michelle

They don't make my version anymore...
                  Hey Michelle, that looks like my POS Nokia brick. If I stop in to a TMobile store, they laugh at me but it's not going anywhere. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.
                  my mom had a bagphone until about 18 months ago.
                  See quote above, THAT'S called getting your money's worth. A woman after my own heart, God bless her frugal Yankee heart. Smile

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I quite like Samsung products, the A436 is a basic model, though it does have a low resolution (useless) camera. It is a slim design and the numbers appear nice and large on the screen when you dial. I am in the cellphone business, by the way, though I have no financial interest in Samsung. Most phones these days are pretty good, though the Chocolate has not been the most reliable.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

though the Chocolate has not been the most reliable.
                      Good to know. I should ask you, what would be most likely to survive repeated drops to asphalt...? Blush My little LG has been like a tank, aside from the antenna.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like our Tracphone, too. I can let DS take it and not have a coronary if he loses it or kills it.
                          Just kidding--my mom had a bagphone until about 18 months ago.
                          I had to look that one up! It's a phone- in a bag. Big grin Can't throw that in your back pocket.

Michelle

I would go for something simple perhaps a discontinued model. My father has had good experiences with the Ericcson T28 and he is hard on phones.

Vim

Wait...what? A Tracfone? I didn't know they still had those! Wink Just kidding--my mom had a bagphone until about 18 months ago.
                              Seriously? Did she have a reluctance to upgrade or what?

Vim

PWL

Has been

I had to look that one up! It's a phone- in a bag. Big grin Can't throw that in your back pocket.
                                You don't remember bagphones?? Those were state-of-the art...umm...around the early 90s maybe? I don't remember now. I just remember sitting in a parking lot in my mom's car talking on my bagphone to my friend in the next car over who was on his mom's bagphone and thinking I was cool as sh*t. Cool
                                Seriously? Did she have a reluctance to upgrade or what?
                                Yes---what tipped you off?

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."