Injury with marathon coming up (Read 131 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I did my last long run (20 miles) this past Saturday, Feb 14....with my marathon being Sunday, March 1 (two week taper).  After my run i felt a pain in my lower leg.  I ran 7 miles today, while a little bit of pain, but not too bad.  My question is this, if i do no running between now and my marathon (just do a lot of biking/spinning instead), will i loose a lot of running fitness, or should i be good to go for marathon?

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

an amazing likeness

According to your RA log, you've run 11 marathons and 33 half marathons....so I'm pretty confident you know how you react and recover from downtime and this is just a pre-taper-madness-self-doubt question.  It's better to line up under trained and healthy than the inverse, so do what it takes to healed.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

IMKY13 finish!!

Turns out it's a soft tissue edema....no running for 2 - 3 weeks.  But at least I can swim & bike...yay!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

joescott

Turns out it's a soft tissue edema....no running for 2 - 3 weeks.

Ummm...  This sounds like the advice of a general practitioner.  He basically says you have a little swelling and like all good doctors he says, "no running for 2 - 3 weeks."

So are you not going to race this weekend?  I think your doc is nuts.  You gotta find somebody who will help you get to the starting line, not somebody (dime a dozen) who says, "don't run."

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

My advice would be rest between now and your race.  Then test it out before you travel to the race.  If it's not better by then you're probably better of not racing.  You can turn a minor injury into a major one over the course of 26.2 miles.  I gave this advice once before.  The guy ran anyway and actually had a great race.  Unfortunately that was a year and a half ago and he's now in the process of recovering from surgery.  I'm not the overly cautious type, but make sure you get to the line healthy.

SMART Approach

Turns out it's a soft tissue edema....no running for 2 - 3 weeks.  But at least I can swim & bike...yay!!

I think we all have soft tissue edema. The 20 mile run beat you up. You should be fine for your marathon but do get a run or 2 in to make sure you are pain free.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

pedaling fool

I"m also working thru an injury and riding a bike doesn't do well for me, probably since I've been riding for over 25 years and my body is so use to riding that I can't make a good transfer from conditioning on a bike to running.

So what I've started doing are kicking motions, such as front kicks, and other things like in-place marching and those things don't bother my knee one bit and it really does take some getting use to. Try doing back to back front kicks and see how long you can maintain -- I just did two sessions (2-minutes each) and that was one good workout.

BTW, I'm also about 2-weeks out from 15K race, so hopefully this works...