I can't stop eating!!! (Read 2184 times)

nyny

My diet is on point, it's just I'm increasing the portions, however I think you are right, I'm not drinking enough water.

Hey nyny, When start running, it's normal to have a surge in appetite and some weight gain. Don't sweat it too much.  Make sure you're drinking enough. 

Yeah, the info is right on the package.  But if you're gonna eat it and thus, record the calories, it's faster to scan the barcode than to look up "snickers" in the food database in the app/

You do have the option of just typing in the calories, but then you don't have what the food is in that case.  If you want your food log to actually contain what you ate, not just how many calories it has, the barcode is the fastest way to go.

And just in general, I had a lot more success using a calorie app on a smartphone as opposed to a using a website because I can record calories at the point of consumption.  If I have to get on a computer later and do it, I'm more likely to forget stuff or not even bother recording  it.

^^ Gotcha, thanks.

Does the app come with a recorded voice (or screen message) that says you are making bad chioces. Something along the lines of:

"maggot, don't even think about stuffing your suckhole with that poison"

I think that would be awesome

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

nyny

I live in Vancouver, Canada and the weather here is still quite warm but I am aware of the effect you are referring to. 

I should have explained that when I refer to stuffing my face, it's with good food (salads, beef, fish, avocado, etc.). That's not to say, however that I don't eat a chocolate bar here and there, couple of times a week. It's just that my portions and sitting have increased dramatically.

We have a saying in Japan, and I'm assuming you live in the north hemisphere (NY?), that in the autumn, even horses get fat.  Fall is the harvesting season, some animals even get ready for a long winter by stuffing themselves...  So with or without running, foods taste good and your mother nature calls for good eating in the fall.  I have a picture of Naoko Takahashi, the 2000 Olympic marathon champion and the first woman to break 2:20 in the marathon, right before Sydney Olympics (well, I shouldn't say "right" before...a few years before).  She looked visibly, well, well-fed.  She was known to eat a lot--like 50 pieces of sushi!!  Of course, she was known to run a lot too--like up to 70km a day!!  Her coach was very good about letting go loose for a while and then get tight again.  The point is; in order to run fast, you need a good big solid "foundation".  It's aerobic foundation and you build that by going far and the only way you can go far is to slow down enough.  And you can't go far and stuff yourself a lot with all these aerobic mileage is to stuff yourself with good energy ("good energy" doesn't mean potato chips or chocolate cake, however).

There certainly is some level of self-discipline involved when we talk about "can't stop eating!"  But it may very well be that your body is craving for food for whatever the reason.  Learn to identify the difference but don't be too alarmed just because mother nature is calling for some good food.  And learn to slow down and go further as well so you'll be running fast when you're good and ready in the spring.

Scout7

Does the app come with a recorded voice (or screen message) that says you are making bad chioces. Something along the lines of:

"maggot, don't even think about stuffing your suckhole with that poison"

I think that would be awesome

I sooooooo wish I could provide the actual quotes used in that movie.  And it was just on tv the other weekend, too....

nyny

I've found I've had success in losing weight when I force myself to record everything I eat (I use  Lose It ).  Just the act of adding everything I ate would make me feel guilty (e.g. Adding that 3rd donut).

I think I am going to start  recording my food intake again. I just don't know how less then a month ago I could run and follow my diet but now it's completely out of the window.

nyny

I think I would burn more calories eating this sushi

finding the barcode would be fun

lol

nyny

My goal is to run faster but I realized I need to weigh less to do so. I currently weigh 178 lbs. (31% BF) and the number is growing despite the milage. Please help.

Amanda, there has been a lot of useful info posted in this thread. I can tell you for me what helped was to write everything down. Some use a journal, I used an excel spreadsheet. There are a lot of websites that will give you the calorie count for the food consumed. I was amazed how quickly the calories started to add up. Once I figured out how many calories I should be consuming based on my goal weight, I was able to back into what I should and should not eat, including portion size. Since starting to run, and controlling my diet, I have lost 50 pounds. ymmv

Ya, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to start tracking my intake again. It might mean that I'm going to starve at times but in a week or so I should be fine. Also I've learned that I am not consuming enough water at all. I was only drinking about 500 ml of water a day.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

"Ya, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to start tracking my intake again. It might mean that I'm going to starve at times but in a week or so I should be fine. 

no need to feel starved if you can fill in around the edges with lots of low cal stuff.  vegetables, fruit etc.Wink

steph  

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I should have explained that when I refer to stuffing my face, it's with good food (salads, beef, fish, avocado, etc.). That's not to say, however that I don't eat a chocolate bar here and there, couple of times a week. It's just that my portions and sitting have increased dramatically.

When it comes to weight loss, the only thing that really matters is calories.  Health is a different consideration.  Granted, some foods (i.e. high glycemic foods) end up making you hungry soon after you eat them, so there's an eat-more feedback loop there.

But the bottom lines is that if you stuff your face with lots of healthy foods, you will gain weight.  If you eat junk, but in enough moderation, you will lose weight.

Check out the "Twinkie diet"

Typical Day:

Espresso, Double: 6 calories; 0 grams of fat 
                    Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat 
                    Centrum Advanced Formula From A To Zinc: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat 
                    Little Debbie Star Crunch: 150 calories; 6 grams of fat 
                    Hostess Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake: 150 calories; 5 grams of fat 
                    Diet Mountain Dew: 0 calories; 0 grams of fat 
                    Doritos Cool Ranch: 75 calories; 4 grams of fat 
                    Kellogg's Corn Pops: 220 calories; 0 grams of fat 
                    whole milk: 150 calories; 8 grams of fat 
                    baby carrots: 18 calories; 0 grams of fat 
                    Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge: 270 calories; 14 grams of fat 
                    Little Debbie Zebra Cake: 160 calories; 8 grams of fat 
                    Muscle Milk Protein Shake: 240 calories; 9 grams of fat 

Totals: 
                    1,589 calories and 59 grams of fat

On this diet, eating mostly pure junk, the guy lost 27 pounds in two months.  Why?  Because of his low caloric intake:

The Twinkie diet was a dreadful diet. But it was, nonetheless, a diet in the conventional sense, meaning it was calorie-restricted. The professor reduced his calorie intake from a maintenance level of roughly 2,600 kcal per day to less than 1,800 kcal for 10 weeks.

A deficit of roughly 3,500 kcal is required to lose one pound of body fat. A restriction of 800 kcal per day for 70 days represents a calorie deficit of 56,000 kcal. That would be enough to account for a loss of 16 pounds of body fat. It takes smaller calorie deficits to lose other body tissues -- such as muscle -- and none at all to lose body water, which tends to happen with dieting. Calorie restriction produced the professor's weight loss, and was not particularly helped -- and certainly not hindered -- by the fact that these were mostly "bad" calories.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

bhearn

Uh oh. I hear Trent coming...

Scout7

Uh oh. I hear Trent coming...

Ah, the loud brushing sound of his massive calves rubbing together.

Like furry corduroy.

#artbydmcbride

Don't anybody mention "bagels"  or dis poptarts!

Runners run

When it comes to weight loss, the only thing that really matters is calories.  Health is a different consideration.  Granted, some foods (i.e. high glycemic foods) end up making you hungry soon after you eat them, so there's an eat-more feedback loop there.

yeah yeah calories in, calories out, I agree there's no magic formula and it's as simple as eating enough and doing enough exercise for your body. To me if have a lot of obese relatives, all that could signify is that you need to eat even less than the next person, perphaps your metabolism is slower than average.  Simple, eat less.

Now that I've finished rambling, I couldn't do that diet, at all.  I discovered after giving up caffeine (then going back to it a month later) that I've been masking somewhat of an intolerance to carbs for years.  Sugar gives me a high, but bread, pastry, buttery popcorn, or rice etc will put me in this state where I feel like I've been drugged.  So lethargic that I physically cannot keep my eyes open, and it may be 4pm.  The end result was that I went back to caffeine, but the moral of the story is that not everyone can tolerate your almost nothin but carbs diet.

dennrunner

...good energy doesn't mean ...chocolate cake...

Nobby, that's a terrible thing to say! Oh, how can I ever follow your teachings again. I'm crushed and disillusioned.

(Perhaps a wee bit of editorial license was taken of that quote.)