urge to puke versus HTFU (Read 886 times)

Today I made it just past the 11mile marker on the planed 12 mile run, when the urge to puke became almost overwhelming. Seeing as though it was almost at the end I gave into it and walked it out. Had this happened earlier in the run or if it was a race I think I would have just given into the urge, got it over with then then finished the run. However being it that it was a the end of of just a training run.... I just wanted to take a poll. How many people would have puked and then continued running verses how many people would have packed it in like I did? I am pretty sure I was okay on hydration and nutrition, I just have had a very hard week and I think fatigue got to me. It seemed like I was working harder than I should have been to maintain pace on teh way out... I figured that since it was very cool out that I would be able to maintain it... O well, there is always next week.
    JakeKnight

Puke. Run. Take pictures. Or video. Post on YouTube. Become famous. (Before my current marathon PR I was puking my guts out 10 minutes before the gun went off. I'm now a firm believer in the benefits of puking.) (If you're wondering why I was puking, ask Trent. I'm pretty sure he poisoned me.)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

So you are down with puking on training runs? Shouldn't you save something for race day? What new adventures can you find then if you are already puking in training? Or do you just get better at puking and you need to train for that also?
        JakeKnight

What new adventures can you find then if you are already puking in training?
          There's always pooping your pants to look forward to. I'd definitely save that for race day.

There's always pooping your pants to look forward to. I'd definitely save that for race day.
            Are you trying to get another 50+ post thread going? All it takes is any mention of any body functions, now we have two that have been brought up.

Feeling the growl again

Look up Bob Kempainen at the 1996 Trials. Puke in stride, feel better, speed up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Look up Bob Kempainen at the 1996 Trials. Puke in stride, feel better, speed up.
                Now that's skill!
                nothing is scarier than rabid squirrels with light sabers...except clowns, clowns are definitely scarier
                JakeKnight

I've puked and kept going, although not too often. Most of the workouts that involved puking were in college and at least 2-3 miles from the school, so no choice. When I was at RIT, everybody on the team had to have a nickname. One of the sprinters was called Ralph. He would run okay in his first race, puke, and then do really well in his second race. If he didn't puke, he would run horribly the second time. The coach was constantly worrying about whether Jim was going to puke or not.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)