Oh, honey (Read 957 times)

Sounds Tasty... Have you any personal experience with this?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I know the beekeeper. I just ordered a 4-pack. Goes to a good charity. I'll have a tasting report soon Big grin
        Yummy! I bookmarked this, I have several jars left of samples from Savannah Bee Company " Black Sage" honey.... tasty stuff. I use a fair amount of it to sweeten anything from oatmeal to vinaigrettes..... Looking forward to your tasting report.....Supertaster Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Oh yummy! I used to work for a couple who had a small apiary and they'd share with their employees. We loved Honey Day. Smile
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run

TRIing to beat the heat!

Yum! I'm a honey fanatic and purchase from local stock. Honey produced from the Tupelo flower is my favorite. Trent, your beekeeper friend has a good thing going. It's nice to see that! I liked his trivia page-- about the bees choosing the best flower and then sucking the life out of it. That explains the recent bee infatuation with one of our firebush plants. They are all over that thing this season. We can walk right by it and they are so in tune with what they are doing to the flowers that they don't even notice us. Must be very tasty indeed! Big grin

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'd like to order it, but UPS ground costs more than the honey! Shocked

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

I love honey, but when I eat it, like on toast or an english muffin, it really upsets my stomach. I've even tried it in tea, but that even upsets my tummy. Ugh.
                "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong

Imminent Catastrophe

It'll probably spoil by the time it gets to you. I'm kidding. Honey does not spoil. I read once that they found honey in one of the tombs of the Pharaohs and it was still perfectly good. So why is there an expiration date on the honey I bought at the store? It should say, "Best if used by 05 AUG 5008"

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Jill_B

I fly.

It'll probably spoil by the time it gets to you. I'm kidding. Honey does not spoil. I read once that they found honey in one of the tombs of the Pharaohs and it was still perfectly good. So why is there an expiration date on the honey I bought at the store? It should say, "Best if used by 05 AUG 5008"
                    I was wondering why the jars have expiration dates also! I just bought some at the local farmers' market and it didn't have an expiration date, so I couldn't ask her why the supermarket puts one on (since she understood that it doesn't need one).

Bring it on.

i think people put an expiration date on honey b/c it's likely to crystallize over time and consumers think that it's spoiled. silly consumers. heat it up and it goes back to the gooey goodness we all know and love. that tennessee honey looks great, and so does the organization it supports. i buy my honey from beekeepers local to me to support them and local agriculture, but i wish there was a larger cause my honey dollars could support as well.

A Saucy Wench

They put expiration dates on so a) they can track lots...they could put lot numbers on but then they would have to print twice because b) they hope people will toss it out and buy more. Crystallization - dunno, mine says what to do when it crystallizes right on it. And i have had some bottles go in about a week in humid weather.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The speed at which honey crystallizes is based on the type of sugar in it. I thnk dextrose and sucrose are the two main sugars and one will crystallize faster than the other... But warming it up is the right thing to do....
                            So why is there an expiration date on the honey I bought at the store? It should say, "Best if used by 05 AUG 5008"
                            Don't know how it is in the States, but here in Belgium, it's stated by law that the expiration date that is stamped on foodstuffs and cosmetics must be within five years after production date.

Running in Belgium
                            Ann

Jazz hands!

Some historians think they preserved Alexander the Great's body in honey and then carted it around while everyone was arguing over the empire.
                              run run run AHHHHHH run run run