Post Your Small, or Big, Victory For The Day! (Read 5844 times)

First run in awhile.  5 miles.  Hope to get back into the swing this fall!
    hokiemamba

Added another mile this week.  Longest distance and longest time I've ever ran: 8 miles and 1 hour, 42 minutes.  And, I ran 18.4 miles this week while dealing with work (teaching high school English), kids, helping with my dad's care, etc.

My goal is to run 10 miles in a row. 

The most interesting thing for me is the recent change in my attitude about running.  I've been running off and on for most of my life, but only for the past 3 1/2 years have I been consistent and not stopped for one reason or another.  And, for most of the past 3 years, I had to "bribe" myself into running.  I stuck with 10-15 (mostly 10) miles per week and made lots of excuses why I couldn't go more.  Then, I got sick and wasn't really able to run for a couple of months.  Once I started feeling better, I had a decision to make: quit running or start back up.  Well, running is a good way to be able to eat bad food and ....   Anyway, I decided I'd start back AND that I wanted to run at least 50 miles per month by the time I turned 50 (September 23).  The cool thing is that somewhere in the bump up of miles, I've started looking forward to my runs, not dreading them.  I never in my life thought that I'd ever be looking forward to running 8 miles and running for almost 2 hours.  But, I was and I did.   So THAT is my true victory.   Cool.

RunsForCake

Hokiemamba, nice job finding motivation from within and sharing it with us.

Good stuff!

De-slacking in progress

I haven't run for couple of months because I allowed life to get in the way. I think about going for a run everyday but just kept talking myself out of it.

So this morning I got up earlier to get back on the road and run. I was very tired and almost talked myself out of. But I put the clothes on and went out and ran 3 miles.

Felt great mentally to get back out there. Plus I've gained 20 of the 50# I lost back becuase I wasn't doing any running. So watch out blubber- time for you to leave again for good. Fall is here and then winter. My 2 favorite times to run.

Still sucks being unemployed, but now I'm a 47 year old full-time college student- finally got approved, so I'm taking 19 credit hrs. Started at Kent State Tusc on Aug 31. So that's around 60 hrs a week dedicated to "higher"(?) learning...

So as of 9/13/09 I started back to running - gotta get built up then back to 30-40mpw. Miss those days.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

RunsForCake

Slaptear, sorry about the unemployment but is sounds like you are making positive steps both in running and in your life.

Kudos for heading back to school and to returning to the roads! 

Outside Lane

I usually run the same route at least once every week - you know, the regular route you do most often on easy runs.  Well today - lo and behold - I had my fastest time on this particular route for the year!  Cool!

See how they run...

RunsForCake

Awesome Beatlemaniac!

Could have something to do with your 3 days rest.    I find that when I run after a day or two off it feels great! 

BTW, we are kind of in the same area...I live in Yorkville.  *waves to another IL resident*

I had the most amazing workout yesterday.  I am 1.5 weeks away from my first half-marathon and I have been training in a clinic offered by a popular running store in my neighbourhood.  Last night was speedwork with my group.  I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do it as my last long run was tough and I had aches and pains after the last speed work we did. 

As we ran over to the track I had to stop and walk on the hill.  I was thinking that this was going to be a bad night.  But I was going to persevere no matter what.  Well, I have to say that I had the best run ever!  I don't know what was going on in my body but man oh man!  We ran 6x800m with 400m walks in between.  I almost kept up with the guys in my group who are very fast. 

But it was the way I ran that blew me away:  I lifted my head up, looked straight ahead, kept my spine really straight and locked into my hips, stabilizing the top of my body.  Leaned forward a bit. In that state, all that was moving in my body were my legs taking quick, short strides with kicks at the end and my arms slightly pumping to the rhythm of my legs.  I wasn't even huffing and puffing.  I felt fantastic through the each 800m.  In the recovery "walks" I was striding around the track. 

I was so full of endorphins at the end!  The rest of the group jogged slowly back to the store while I took off ahead of them just flying!  I think I surprised even them because I am always the last one in.  I wasn't last night!  Woo hoo!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

another pr for me today!!  8k 36:59    not a speedster but improving.   beat old 8k pr from earlier this summer by over 3 1/2 minutes.
                    RunsForCake

7:24 pace!  Compared to me you are a speedster! 

Congrats on the PR!

Today I ran 5.5 miles...I can't remember the last time I ran more than 5 miles. This comes after Thursday's run that I labeled the "Worse.Run.Ever", where I basically bonked after 20 minutes and ended up walking the rest of the way home.

For various reasons (injuries, life getting in the way of running, etc.), I wasn't running much or consistently in the last few years, so I started over in February with the Couch to 5k program and have been improving ever since. Thank you, C25K!!!!

Deb

If only I am half the person that my dogs think I am...
                        Marylander

I did my first ever 15 miler today. I wanted to use this run to decide if I would train for a 11/28 marathon. I just wanted to get under 10:00 pace, which I accomplished. Last mile in 8:41, which is pretty good for me. Looks like I'll do the marathon.

Kirk

Had an good 1/2M race this morning. I went in with a goal of 1:25 ish and ran a 1:22:40. Plus, the course had quite a few rolling hills, unlike the Chicago Marathon will have.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I ran my longest run in time and distance to day: 10.48 mi in 2:33:13 @14:38 pace. Am training to run first HM on 11/8 with a goal of 3hr finish. Am training body to be able to run for the 3hrs at training pace and expect to run the race faster.

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

First 30+ mile week since I started running a few months ago!!!!! Working my way up to 40.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life