mile racing (Read 148 times)

paintballguy

Hi, I am a 27yo guy who formally ran T&F a few yrs ago.  It has always been a dream of mine to run a 4:20 mile, but I have been pretty busy with school the past few yrs. If I were to restart what should I focus on in terms of training.  I have always been decent at speed training on track with 400m and 200m repeats, but not too great at distance running. With about 43 miles per week training I ran a 1:58 800m, a 4:35 mile, and 28:00 5 mile in college.  Basically I'm wondering what the best strategy for training would be for me given my more speed oriented abilities.  Should I ignore speed work and just do like 70 miles a week?

Thanks

Lane

Hi, I am a 27yo guy who formally ran T&F a few yrs ago.  It has always been a dream of mine to run a 4:20 mile, but I have been pretty busy with school the past few yrs. If I were to restart what should I focus on in terms of training.  I have always been decent at speed training on track with 400m and 200m repeats, but not too great at distance running. With about 43 miles per week training I ran a 1:58 800m, a 4:35 mile, and 28:00 5 mile in college.  Basically I'm wondering what the best strategy for training would be for me given my more speed oriented abilities.  Should I ignore speed work and just do like 70 miles a week?

Thanks

PBGuy - You have similar speed to me (1:59 800) but less endurance (sub-27 8k in college) and I ran 4:19 for the mile.  I ran big miles in the summer before, a season of cross-country, and then a mix of strength-based work and work at goal race pace (64s/400m).  But building a big FAT base is key - my last 9 months before my 4:19 were:

294.7 - 212.4 - 198.2 - 264.8 - 310.7 - 283.5 - 311.9 - 320.0 - 228.0

MTA: My PR race was 1/29/2011 - you can check out the training I did before that.  It might not work for you but it worked for me.

paintballguy

Hey thanks a  lot.  I will def look into your running log to see if I can emulate it.  I need to get going!

Feeling the growl again

Full disclosure I never had any type of natural speed.  I have something like a 4:34 mile PR off 100-120mpw, lower mileage with more concentration on speed only did worse.  But sub-25 8K and sub-31 10K.  Pretty much the opposite type of runner as you.

Speed only takes you so far.  I'd advise a good 3 months of mileage higher than you are used to, then turning over into a typical speed-intensive cycle to peak you.  Layer your natural speed on top of improved strength and aerobic ability.  This is what will get you to the next level.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Thanks

I agree with Spaniel that an aerobic base is important, but as more of a "speed guy" than Spaniel, I'd say that it is also important to train to your strengths as a runner. There will be a "sweet spot" for every runner in terms of volume and intensity, and that will vary for everyone depending on your physiology, temperament, and lifestyle.

Resist the temptation to boil training down to a single variable like mileage or intensity. That said, your mileage should definitely be north of 50mpw if you want to see what you can do and likely north of 60mpw, so that would be a first step.

MTA: one more thought -- following a tried and true miling plan from Daniels Running Formula or Hudson's Run Faster is not the worst idea in the world and takes a lot of the worry over proper training out of the picture.