Anyone gone LOCO? (Read 1527 times)

skinnycaponesugar

Hi people, I was looking at shoes on the net and found LOCO running shoes. They sound interesting: "LOCO is a company owned by runners who are committed to the sport of running and giving back to the running community." and are reasonably priced. But I haven't heard about them before, maybe because I've only been running a short time. They aren't particularly cool looking, not even a bit LOCO looking, though. http://www.locorunning.com/

Love, Run, Sleep

C-R

Used them before I swittched to flats. I liked them and they were a great value. They ran true to size. One thing I liked was their promise not to change shoe design but every five years. So if you like the shoe you didn't have to worry about design changes setting you back to square one. Worth a shot IMO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I like the company, and the owners are good guys. I've met them a few times. I haven't tried their shoes for a few years, but none of them felt quite right for my feet. They seemed well put together though so I'd recommend taking a look at them if it is convenient. Another small shoe company that you might be interested in is Vitruvian Running Shoes. I feel bad, because I bought a pair and had to send them back but I think that the problem I had was unrelated to the shoes and they just happened to the first pair I got symptoms of my plantar fascitis in.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

The Vitruvian site is interesting. Anyone else tried them?

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Anyone? Anyone?

TRUST THE PROCESS

Used them before I swittched to flats. I liked them and they were a great value. They ran true to size. One thing I liked was their promise not to change shoe design but every five years. So if you like the shoe you didn't have to worry about design changes setting you back to square one. Worth a shot IMO.
              The website says they are 3lbs...that has to be shipping weight, right????? Confused I would be interested in trying them but I can't imagine a "neutral cushioned" is 3lbs, especially when my neutral cushion is 10oz!

over 9000!!!

Anyone? Anyone?
                no. but it looks interesting. only $60, and $30 for the old model. i may just buy some to check it out. http://www.vitruvianrunning.com/home.html btw i am going to add that to my thread about un-ordinary shoes http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/84e4c8d7b3b74f82a26c9d551f849858 thanks... as far as locos go... well, sorry to say but i did not like them... i emailed one of there reps and he assured me that the Loco Carumba was the best one for me. I didn't really like it. I like minimalistic type shoes. The freakin heel on the carumba was like 5 inches thick. The soles were pretty hard and stiff too. When I run in normal shoes, I never make noise. When I ran in the Carumbas it sounded like I was running in army boots. They felt like that too. Gave me a mild case of shin splints, and I never get that anymore! Two thumbs down. I cant say anything about the other models though.
                chrimbler

I tried the Loco Perfecto and did not like them...felt bad on my arches. I just ordered a pair of the Vitruvian Proportion II. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.
                  Run like you stole it!
                    Right now I'm running on the Bandito and the Perfecto. I like the Bandito (racing flat) for my 5Ks. I'm still undecided on the Perfecto, not enough miles on them.
                      With any luck, UPS will be dropping off a pair of Harmony today. I don't know what the odds are that they will fit, I went with the "order a half size up" recommendation but haven't had great luck with that in the past. They look butt ugly, I kinda like that.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

With any luck, UPS will be dropping off a pair of Harmony today. I don't know what the odds are that they will fit, I went with the "order a half size up" recommendation but haven't had great luck with that in the past. They look butt ugly, I kinda like that.
                        You've ran in Loco's did you not, Ed, and liked them till you had an unresolved issue they wouldn't back?

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

You've ran in Loco's did you not, Ed, and liked them till you had an unresolved issue they wouldn't back?
                          Yeah, I trained for and ran Manchester City Marathon in the Loco Carumba. I liked the shoe a lot, the fact that they are just about the ugliest things you can put on your feet didn't bother me in the least. I'm currently running in New Balance 882, and I'm giving the Vitruvian Harmony a try because it appears to be very similar to the Carumba. It's ugly, has a nice big all mesh toe box, and it's a neutral cushioned shoe. It does bother me that Loco discontinued their award program, but left the information on the site. That's deceptive at best. I brought that to their attention, and reached an agreement with them that they didn't follow through on. From a relatively small company, I expect better customer service than that so I cast my economic vote with my feet and ran away. This was a while ago, and just for giggles I went to the site now. This is still posted: Loco Running Reward points are designed to give you something back for shopping with us. We'll give you 1 Reward Point for every $1 spent and if you look out for promotions you could earn even more. Once registered with us, every time you shop with Loco Running you'll earn Reward Points. Each Reward Point is worth 10 cents. You can check your points tally simply by clicking the 'My Account' link at the top and logging into your account. When you checkout, you'll be given the option to redeem the points you've collected or save them for another time. Please note, reward points cannot be converted into cash. I can't be sure they haven't revived the program, but I doubt they have.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

From a relatively small company, I expect better customer service than that so I cast my economic vote with my feet and ran away.
                            From the little interaction I had with Vitruvian a couple of years ago, you'll get good customer service. I managed to get the owner on the phone and chatted with him about the shoes for a good half hour before I bought a pair, and when I sent them back he made it really easy for me to do so and I got a prompt refund. I have nothing but good things to say about the company; just too bad my feet didn't like the shoe (or, more likely, that I already got injured and it just happened to manifest when I started running in them.)

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

In person, they're actually not butt ugly. I was able to get past that disappointment, because the shoes are made really well. It's a very basic design, well executed. The liner is really well done, there's pretty much nothing that could rub your foot the wrong way. I had to send them back, because they were too narrow in the forefoot for me (which is a first, I don't wear wide shoes). They sent a prepaid return label right away, and sent a confirmation email when they received the package. The charge on my credit card was promptly reversed. It really was a no-hassle return for me, if you are interested in giving Vitruvian a try they seem really interested in customer satisfaction.

E.J.

chrimbler

I tried the Loco Perfecto and did not like them...felt bad on my arches. I just ordered a pair of the Vitruvian Proportion II. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.
                                Well I've done 2 runs in the Proportion II and so far other than the narrower toe box (compared to Asics 2130) I have to say that these shoes feel lighter, although they are a little heavier than the 2130's. They feel lower in the heel and more minimalistic, kind of an in between shoe (between the 2130 and a racing flat, Asics Piranha) I like them and wil continue to put them into the rotation, and increase the distance in them, so far they were good for 6 miles. Update: I did a 17 mile run in these shoes today and I have to say that are really surprising me! They make you run light, which eases the pounding your legs take. At mile 9 after an uphill climb it felt like I was floating...all in all I'm quite happy with my $60 shoes Big grin
                                Run like you stole it!