How'd you do on your 2009 goals? (Read 1271 times)

Scout7

I found the joy in running - 2009 goal fully met

Me, too.

Best Present Ever

If you would have asked me my goals at the beginning of the year, I think I would have said to have a 3:45 marathon and a 1:40 HM, among some other things.  I reached both of those, but was disappointed in the end, especially in the marathon.  PRs in all distances, which probably says more about my past than my present.  That's the funny thing about running goals.  As you get closer to achieving them you always want more, at least I do. 

That about sums up my year (if you make the race times slower).  I ran a PR in every distance, but wish they were all faster and ultimately feel unhappy with my year. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Had a great year, PRs that made me quite happy in the 5k and marathon (and a couple in between). The key is, of course, being still on the upswing of starting running recently. Also did an unplanned 50K, accomplishing my goal for 2010 early, so now I can cruise easily for a while.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

The unplanned 50k.  I forget the story there... was it a 50k you decided to run last minute, or was this a trail marathon where you got a wee bit lost?

I've done both.  I prefer the former.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The unplanned 50k.  I forget the story there... was it a 50k you decided to run last minute, or was this a trail marathon where you got a wee bit lost?

I've done both.  I prefer the former.

Heh, the former. Friend told me about it and I got excited, but forgot to register, and it filled, and I was disappointed (mostly at my own stupidity), and then RD said I could run it after all. So I was precocious: I started in with disappointment and elation even before the race began...    And it went well. Three falls: after one of them out on the course, a guy I was running next to recited to me part of a faceplant poem he wrote once. And the last fall was a nice downhill smackeroo when I was misguidedly running dead away from the finish line (and within a quarter mile of it I think). Altogether enjoyable Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

It ain't over 'til it's over.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Intentionally Blank

2009 was a terrific year for me.  I Pr'd in the 5k twice, the 10k, the half twice, and ran my first three marathons.  It's going to be hard for me to top that in 2010.  I don't know how many miles I ran this year, because I am terrible about consistently logging.

My goals for 2010 are to siginifcantly lower my 5k and 10k times, maybe run a fall marathon, and complete P90x.  Also: 100 consecutive pushups and 5 pull-ups.

This year I believe I went from someone who ran in 2008 to a Runner in 2009.

1. Increased milage from Probably 500 to around 1500 (if can muster up another 55 miles last 16 days of year).

2. Raced 18 times and PR'd considerably at all distances from 5k to Marathon.  Granted the Prs where soft and 2010 will take a new level to come close to having the same success.

3. Finished 3 Marathons ... Not the times I wanted but most people in life do not finish even 1 ( 2 years ago I would have bet $1 million that I would never be able to do it).

The only race goal not acheived was the big enchalida.... "Chicks dig the Longball".  Marathon goal was a modest sub 4:00.  This was is going to bug me and I know a good year ... But.

Not going to chase this Sub 4:00 Goal in 2010; Next Marathon will not be until I can have a reasonable shot at 3:30.  Spring will be about intermediate distance (15k - Half) and will probably run:

Jan - May

- 15K  March

- 10 miler April

-  2 - 3 halfs April / May (Goal Sub 1:40)

May/June

run some 5k / 10k / 5 milers

June - Reassess and Plan for June - Dec.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

xor

When it comes to marathons, my experience with portpotties is that the big enchilada is overrated.  Though you will likely run faster after.

When it comes to marathons, my experience with portpotties is that the big enchilada is overrated.  Though you will likely run faster after.

Hey I thought of you at Rocket city ... As did not have to stop for portpotty (1 goal acheived).  Although was going to stop at mile 15 before my collapse, but it was locked or someone with a bad enchilada night before as saw several runners try this one long porta potty up a head and then move on.

Good Job on White Rock!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Skooter 3.0

I was fortunate enough to exceed all my goals.

2009 goals: 

Run 2 marathons (including my first)

sub 2 hour half

don't get injured

race other distances

run 1300 miles

Well, I ran 3 marathons, including one that was just idiotic.

1:47:10 on the half

Didn't get injured.

Raced a lot of different distances

Will have run about 1800 when all is said and done...it was may when I decided I needed to be running 2000+ a year, so I'm on pace after that, but jan-may was just too light to meet the revised goal, I consider it a victory, though.

Goals?

Right on Hereford...

I had four goals for 2009:

1. Run 3000 miles. It will be close, but I will do it. Just 112 miles short at the moment. I have never run 2000 miles in a year before this.

2. Sub-18 5k. Did not come close. I ran 18:32 twice in a row, both at altitude. Will have to save this for 2010.

3. Sub-38 10k. Did not come close. I had barely broken 40 before this year, so this was another ambitious goal for me. I did run 38:39 on a tough course at altitude and knocked over a minute off my PR, so I was still happy. Will have to save this for 2010 as well.

4. Sub-3 marathon. The biggie. This was the most important one to me, and also the one I thought might be toughest, since I only had one marathon under my belt, a 3:30 from 2006. At Chicago this year I ran 2:58:00. I poured my heart and soul into my training, and I am so very proud of myself for accomplishing this goal.

It's been a great year, and I have to thank the good people here for helping share your knowledge and motivation.

Now here's to 2010!

Hmm Interesting to look back at.  Back at the beginning of the year I had just finished a run\walk learn to run program.

I believe my far-fetched gaols at the time were a sub 1hr 10k (this seemed truly impossible at the time)

and maybe if I got really crazy finish a half-marathon.

My last 10k of the year was 42:50

I ran my first half in September in 1:39

It worked out alright I guess. I just had no idea what to expect I think.  Most importantly somewhere along the way I fell in love with running and that more than anything has lead to the improvement.

As for next year theres bound to be some disapointment as I have big plans and 3 kids under 4. We'll see more than anything want to keep having fun with it.

an amazing likeness

Not a good running year in many ways...

* Lost a lot of days in March and April battling running injury for the first time and missed a goal 20 miler.

* Distance goal of running more miles than the year (2009+) will not happen. I'm at ~1,850 and won't get any more miles in this year.  On the other hand, I have the 1850 in the books and can add it to last year's 2000+ as a solid two years.

* Didn't find the speed I thought would come from the miles and PR at the 10K distance.  Lesson learned, will have to do something to find speed rather than rely on miles.

* Missed marathon goal of 3:40 by 2 minutes.  But toughed out the worst race weather I've experienced and had the goal in the bag through 24 miles when the weather finally won.

* Seriously injured in an accident late in October, missed my goal half marathon which I'd targeted for a big PR.

A very good year in other ways...

* Discovered a new 1/2 marathon and just loved the course.

* "Paced" someone in a 1/2 marathon to a finish at a faster pace than their 10K PR from 2 months before.

* Entered and finished my first trail race. Swore I'd never do it again, then started thinking about moving up from the 25K to the 50K next year.

* Although seriously injured, was not killed in an accident and 50 days later am back to daily walks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Since my main goal for 2009 was to get my mileage up to an acceptable level, I did accomplish that as by the end of the year, I'll be at 1,800+ miles for the year...

I set a PR a few weeks ago in the 5 Mile and beat my last year time by 3 minutes ...

Half Mary --- My Half Mary's were a little disappointing this year, but that just sets me up for a better 2010....

In my running past, I have normally gotten hurt at about the 20 to 22 MPW mark and now thanks to better running technique and a lot of good coaching from the RA people, I am running totally injury free and close to the 40 MPW arena now...and have been running almost 2 years in a row -- no injuries.....THIS IS VERY GOOD...

SO -- overall this year has been a very good one for me............and I'm looking forward to setting a few decent PR's in 2010....

Great job!

- Anya