It is that time of year to ask the big question . . . (Read 2402 times)

xor

You can run that race at Boston dude.  All those people who got there without BQing will be behind you.  By quite a bit.

Don't hassle it, man.  Run your race.

But if you are dead set on running a race where you HAVE TO qualify, then look up the Gansett Marathon.  Last year it was called the Exeter Marathon.  But you will have to run 5 minutes faster than your BQ time.

Or train for Fukuoka.

Relax.  Take it easy.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

But if you are dead set on running a race where you HAVE TO qualify, then look up the Gansett Marathon.  Last year it was called the Exeter Marathon.  But you will have to run 5 minutes faster than your BQ time.

I think I can get a 3:15 at Indy.  Did anyone run this last year?

http://www.gansettmarathon.com/gansett-marathon-ri-qualifying-information.htm

2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      mikeymike

WrigleyGirl and Run to Win ran it, probably a few others too.  I think they liked it.

Runners run

xor

The maniacs I know who ran it thought it was fine.  Last year it was teensy.

...which will come down to what you REALLY want out of your "hey, I qualified to get here" experience, which may not be exactly what you are saying.  If what you want is specifically a group of people, 100% of whom also qualified, then cool.  If what you want are spectators and girls kissing you and pomp and a Sweet Jacket and Medal only available to those racers, then you might feel a little let down.

Anyway.

Focus.

mikeymike

...which will come down to what you REALLY want out of your "hey, I qualified to get here" experience, which may not be exactly what you are saying.  If what you want is specifically a group of people, 100% of whom also qualified, then cool.  If what you want are spectators and girls kissing you and pomp and a Sweet Jacket and Medal only available to those racers, then you might feel a little let down.

Anyway.

Focus.

Exactly.  I almost ran Exeter last year even though I was in the process of trying to quit marathons (it's a process, I'm working on it, okay, I'm really serious this time.)  The reason I almost ran it is that I really like small, no frills, but really well organized road races.  The kind that are put on by runners for runners.  It's getting harder to find marathons anymore that fit that description and this one really seemed to.  I traded email with the RD and I was really confident it would be a good race.  In the end I decided not to run a spring marathon at all.

But like the man said, if you want the full on event experience--the crowds, the attention, the bib numbers that basically tell how fast you are, the Wellesely girls, the Air Force flyovers, the millions of people lining the course, the drunk BC students, the drunk Red Sox crowd, the feeling of running into a stadium when you turn onto Boylston Street for that last, glorious 600 yards...well you pretty much have to go to Boston for that.

Apples and oranges.  Both are really cool, they are just different.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

Apples and oranges.  Both are really cool, they are just different.

+1

Exeter was drizzly, on roads with traffic, it wasn't scenic, there was no medal, no crowds/bands every mile/transvestite cheerleaders/guys juggling flaming chainsaws/pace groups/stadium finish/general nonsense.  There was no one near me for a good portion of the race.  I don't even think we had chips.  I can't remember.

It was perfect.  It was all about the running.  Here is 26.2 miles.  Go run. 

Two days later I had the most fun I have ever had at a marathon while running Boston.  I hugged people with "Hug Me" signs, high fived little kids, kissed a boy at Wellesly, BS'ed with the drunks at BC, and enjoyed the general nonsense.  Boston was incredibly special.  It was everything I thought it would be and more.  (This is coming from a chick that hates big city marathons). 

Like Mikey said.  Cool but different.  That being said, Boston felt like a reward for all the years and miles I have put in.  Exeter did not have that feeling.

And now, how about a rant?  I can't believe all the people wearing their brand new Boston jackets before the race.  Race clothing gets worn after you have hit the finish line.  It is like begging to have your leg snap in two at mile 17.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

Whew, I thought you were lost somewhere after drinking too much free wine for four days.

Kalsarikännit

I've worked nine days out of the last ten.  Eleven hours on the feet, no breaks.  I'm tired.  My one day off, I hit the wine thing.  It was ugly.  Very, very ugly.  Passed out at 4:00 pm ugly.  I missed the Bears/Packers game.  I'm never drinking again.

Prince of Fatness

I'm never drinking again.

Been there.  This won't last long.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

If hiding your log made you feel better about changing your avatar, then it's a good thing.  About time.

Prince of Fatness

I was tired of your whining, too.  You and Nads are quite the pair.

And I find your obsession with my log disturbing.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Been there.  This won't last long.

(Very stupidly) racing in Montana next weekend.  I hope they have Deschutes Black Butte Porter.  It should be out in that region.  I'd hate to ask Ennay to drive some out to me.

L Train

It's sort of like googling an old friend to find out what they're up to.

Plus, trying to monitor your progress to see when my nemesis will be back and to be prepared when it happens.

And don't pair me with Nads.   

Lazy idiot

And don't pair me with Nads.   

Isn't Nads already paired?

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

Plus, trying to monitor your progress to see when my nemesis will be back and to be prepared when it happens.

I can help with that.  Spring 2012 at the earliest.

Not at it at all.