2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Resident Historian

I might keep it on a list of marathons to do. Maybe a BQ attempt when I'm fast enough, and feel like hitting up Detroit. No I won't be asking to visit locations of Eminem. Maybe KISS, or a Tigers game.

The Detroit Marathon is always in mid-October. The Tigers are very unlikely to be playing that time of year.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Agreed on the temp, it's the dew point that's making me realize a PR is out of the cards. I did my MP in 70s but dew points upper 40s and it was great conditions. I ran yesterday in similar dew points and once again felt terrible: couldn't finish my strides at the end of my easy run, felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest. I'm not built for super hot conditions anymore.

Cheptegei also weighs 115 pounds. A little easier to control your body heat when you have no body fat or excess muscle.

Indeed. Being tiny is a big advantage when it comes to dealing with heat (and distance running in general). There's a reason you don't see any tall elite distance runners (Luke Puskedra a rare exception at 6'4", but he was never at the top...).

Flavio: Great work on the 3k! But what's the issue with spitting while running? I do that at a rate of about once every 2 min I estimate. Spitting and lumberjacking my nose clear all throughout my runs, easy or hard. Of course there are no people around to get offended or be hit, only the wild animals and they are ok with it. 

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I know I gave it my all cause on the last km I wanted to spit, I first looked around to ensure there were no Jmacs nearby and then aimed at the right side. Instead of doing its curvaceous trip to the ground it just dropped on my right arm 🤦‍♂️

Wow, do you actually remember that detail of my CIM race report?? Brings a tear to my eye.

I've never had the desire to spit too much in a race, and very rarely on runs. Is it just dry mouth? What's causing you guys to want to spit, genuinely curious.

But blowing my nose? Wow, once temps are under 60, I'm out there blowing it out every mile, my nose is running non-stop.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow, do you actually remember that detail of my CIM race report?? Brings a tear to my eye.

I've never had the desire to spit too much in a race, and very rarely on runs. Is it just dry mouth? What's causing you guys to want to spit, genuinely curious.

But blowing my nose? Wow, once temps are under 60, I'm out there blowing it out every mile, my nose is running non-stop.

We're not sweating out 3 liters of water on our long runs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

... Detroit. No I won't be asking to visit locations of Eminem. Maybe KISS, or a Tigers game.

I bet The Motor City Madman (aka "the nuge") is the real reason you're interested!   Finally someone sensible to talk politics with...

Running Problem

Problem Child

I bet The Motor City Madman (aka "the nuge") is the real reason you're interested!   Finally someone sensible to talk politics with...

The man has never done drugs a day in his life. I'd LOVE to talk to him about being a rockstar and the temptations he was presented and how he just kept saying no to drugs. If he was on course I swear to GOD I'd stop and take a selfie just to tell my son "this guy is living proof saying NO to drugs works AND you can be cool.

If Ted was at the January 6 "thing" at the Capitol/White House/Congress/Wherevere it was he probably would have mistaken the guy with the face paint and horns as an animal and shot him with a bow and arrow.

EDIT:

Not even shocked at this.

Gavin Newsom signals more COVID-19 mandates could come after California recall (sfgate.com)

I'm now concerned about CIM. Either they mandate 100% vaccinated (2 weeks after second shot) so close to the race I can't even get in, or the race gets canceled. For no reason other than he can because the race hasn't announced their COVID 19 policy yet. Nothing like defeating a recall to give the Governor a surge of energy.

» California International Marathon (runsra.org)

Race organizers plan to follow all guidelines set forth by local and regional health officials and all permitting agencies. As those guidelines and recommendations become clear relative to the scheduled date of the event, organizers will communicate any and all updates regarding the event directly to all participants via all communication channels; please refer to our refund, cancellation, and registration policies regarding questions and concerns about any uncertainties related to the status of your registration.

Note: Our traditional deferral program is NOT available this year; registrants that are not able to participate due to their own personal circumstances will NOT have the option to defer to 2022.  We do have a TRANSFER option available to participants in 2021.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - I could certainly see there being a vaccine requirement if things start going south once we hit the fall. I realize you aren't going to get the shot no matter what, so I assume you'd just miss it.

Some guy almost spit on me today during my run, I got lucky because I went to go pass him on the left and he spit to his right (passing on the right is common in Central Park). Made me think of you guys.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

RP - I could certainly see there being a vaccine requirement if things start going south once we hit the fall. I realize you aren't going to get the shot no matter what, so I assume you'd just miss it.

Some guy almost spit on me today during my run, I got lucky because I went to go pass him on the left and he spit to his right (passing on the right is common in Central Park). Made me think of you guys.

Glad you avoided being hit! I was paying more attention to my spitting rate this morning, and think I exaggerated it a bit; probably it's more like once every 5-10 minutes. I think it may be related to mucous production; my nose runs year round whenever I go running and some of it drains down my throat. Either that or saliva production goes up.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Except you're wrong, and you never attempted to discuss it. It was more important for you to tell me to do it your way than have a meaningful discussion about it.  Just like running if I want to know I'm doing something wrong I'll let others tell me. I'll be like everyone else in my life and assume I'm doing it wrong.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - I'm not judging you, I just thought that was your stance from previous things I read in the past. If I'm wrong, sorry for misreading what you've written. This isn't the COVID-19 thread where everyone is out to get you. Maybe I'll rephrase that as a question - if they require vaccine for CIM, are you going to run it?

JT - funny, I have a lot of post nasal drip, but mine just results in a lot of coughing throughout my runs. Obviously not a great situation when everyone thinks you have COVID and you're trying to be careful how closely you cough near anyone in a crowded park.

ETA: I'm considering bailing on this 10K given the weather next weekend looks spectacular and a strong chance at a PR, plus the logistics for this race are more of a nightmare than I thought (you have to bus to the start and looks like I need to leave 3 hours prior). Will decide later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac My stance is I'm not going to lose my job if the shot is mandated. I either had it, or I'm REALLY good at social distancing. I've been sick ONCE since COVID sent everyone home and I'm 100% blaming the sickness on my 3 or 4 month old son going to daycare. He was sick for probably the entire 4th month of his life, and I was sick for probably a week. I'm just finding out more and more people would rather make up their own ASSumption than ask any sort of clarifying question. It DID give me a good thought process for 6 miles of M today. The 7th mile was a "bonus" mile and definitely tells me I'm at 7:12/mi pace for marathon pace right now. Sucks thinking 20 seconds faster is going to take a lot of work. Heck, even with all the benefits of CIM it MIGHT only be possible to 3:04:59. Vegas/Mt. Charleston was a 3:05:25/26 I think and it kick started a sub 3 cycle so I have to stay focused on the goal of getting into shape to get back into shape. The endurance thing use to be a strong suit for me so IDEALLY it will come back with some more M paced runs. I'm still remembering to focus on how it feels, and it still seems weird to be running and think "pretty sure this is about 4 seconds fast" and nail it.

EDIT: wait....you're going to bail on a race because it has a high possibility of being a PR?

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - understood on the shot.

I decided I'll run it. The alternative is 22 miles tomorrow and I REALLY don't feel like doing that, so might as well run a race. Plus I was able to secure placing in the first corral. Never gone off with the elites in any race so that'll be fun. Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with good up and coming US runners so I won't recognize anyone. JT later can tell me whether these were a bunch of nobodies or actually people I should care about. Unsure how COVID will impact things.

Marby

Ash

Good luck JMac. Glad you are doing it, sounds like an interesting event and chance to test yourself even if it does require pace adjustment when executing and assessing the race.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac good luck man. I’ve always thought you were elite. Maybe it will be similar to running with the Olympic trials group at CIM, and other 2:45 marathoners. As someone who started out 3:56 and worked towards sub 3 I’m pretty accustomed to being in a crowd of runners. I imagine guys as fast as you are rarely surrounded by multiple runners so it gets weird with 10-20 other runners around.  Interested to hear Covid restrictions/plans/changes/‘stuff’ about the race. I’m GUESSING masks everywhere except starting corrals like Darkwave has experienced.

VDOT 53.37 

Marby

Ash

JMac:  Well done, looking forward to a blow by blow.

My week...

Tue was 5x1mi off 400m jog in 6:58, 6:49, 6:49, 6:50, 6:45.
                                Thu was 2k at 6:48 then 10x400m off 200m jog in 88, 93, 89, 94, 92, 89, 89, 95, 91, 89.

Passed a couple of pointless mileage milestones.
                                - I’ve run more in 2021 than any other calendar year. Not just to this point, the whole year.
                                - I’ve run more in 2021 than I did in 2017, 2018 and 2019 combined.

My Aussie Rules footy team is in the Grand Final next weekend which I am super nervous-excited about. I doubt anyone outside of Aus has seen, heard or cares but here it's kinda like our Super Bowl.  Runs this week and next are named in honour of one of our players.

09/13/2021 To 09/19/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                09/13 Libba 6.24 10.04 00:53:02 08:30 05:17 197
                                09/14 Bazlenka 9.33 15.02 01:11:59 07:43 04:48 243
                                09/15 Chilli 7.60 12.22 01:01:47 08:08 05:03 210
                                09/15 Dizzie 1.35 2.17 00:15:50 11:44 07:18 46
                                09/16 Horse 9.37 15.08 01:11:54 07:40 04:46 233
                                09/16 Ads 1.88 3.02 00:22:01 11:43 07:17 89
                                09/17 Dunks 6.24 10.05 00:51:59 08:20 05:10 249
                                09/18 Stef 7.72 12.42 01:05:14 08:27 05:15 302
                                09/19 Doc 17.27 27.78 02:23:23 08:18 05:10 938

Total distance: 67.00mi

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)