2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT The thing is...I'm kind of afraid I could, and I'm almost too chicken to find out. 6:25/mi average just seems so blazing fast and very "Kid Icarus too close to the sun" since the 3x1 mile this week was a 6:18-20 pace with a 4:30 recovery jog/walk between miles. Best of luck for some better weather.

Keen I mean, you can get second place again and blame the weather. Will it make a PR any worse, or better, knowing the weather impacted the run?

Cal Who called it the "dead zone"? Was it JMac or someone else? I know JMac started slowing down in 2019 for his easy paces during marathon training and it seemed to cure his summer injuries, but I can't recall if it was him, or someone else saying there is a dead zone for running paces.

I'm kind of trying to taper for this 10k now that it is a race, but I'm really not sure how. Rest days? Runs under 6 miles? Anything less than a half marathon seems like "why taper? it isn't even a long run." I'll have to remember to do a warm up and cool down after.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

There is nothing logical about running a marathon voluntarily.

Indeed. My favorite sign I've seen during a race read "Your ability to run 26.2 miles will come in handy never".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

CalBears

Cal Who called it the "dead zone"? Was it JMac or someone else? I know JMac started slowing down in 2019 for his easy paces during marathon training and it seemed to cure his summer injuries, but I can't recall if it was him, or someone else saying there is a dead zone for running paces.

I'm kind of trying to taper for this 10k now that it is a race, but I'm really not sure how. Rest days? Runs under 6 miles? Anything less than a half marathon seems like "why taper? it isn't even a long run." I'll have to remember to do a warm up and cool down after.

Someone else, not JMac...  JMac was actually in an opposition to that statement, as was I. Because it didn't make any sense - calling very specific pace as a dead zone. Anyway...

As for taper ... Come on man - it's like you are training for the first time in your life. The most safe approach I would use - run less mileage, all easy, maybe do 6-8 strides every other day, 4 the day before race. It will not give you full taper for a race, of course, but the idea is to be relatively fresh. But, generally, race more, experiment with mini taper and see what works for you.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

There are some people that I’d love to meet at Boston 23...you, cinnamon, RP, Cal and others.... I’ve already met Andres and know that he’s a top guy.. 👍

Agree! Andres and I even ran together for a bit in the later miles of Boston 2017...god that was awful heat!  I've also met Weatherboy and Darkwave, both great people in addition to outstanding runners. Looking forward to meeting you and a lot of the rest of the folks here; just wish it was sooner than April 2023!

RP: I would just give yourself a chance in the first mile; you might surprise yourself what raceday adrenaline will do for you.

2:52:16 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Everyone who posted on that covid thread will live 5 fewer years as a result.

I've left some days ago as I was typing an answer and realized the foolishness of it.

In other news I have high blood pressure. Several measurements accross August and September.

I will do the exam that lasts 24h, but I already got my medication.

It seems to me you can pretty much do what ever the fuck you want,  All is determined by genetics.

I have slim hopes that it's a case of emotional high blood pressure and that treating my extreme anxiety will get rid of it.

In Kiwi lingo, it's likely 3% emotional and 97% genetics.

2 younger siblings already take medication for it and almost everyone over the age of 35 in both branches of the family do as well.

In yet other news, I weighed 75kg today.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh lordy. I can't imagine what I'm missing out on.

Cal you think I know what I'm doing? PFFFF.

Jt sooooo go out at 6:25 pace and see what happens. Interesting approach. Might cost me 10 seconds, might actually be sustaininable through halfway, might actually be possible due to covid 19 race day adrenaline.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

I've left some days ago as I was typing an answer and realized the foolishness of it.

In other news I have high blood pressure. Several measurements accross August and September.

I will do the exam that lasts 24h, but I already got my medication.

It seems to me you can pretty much do what ever the fuck you want,  All is determined by genetics.

I have slim hopes that it's a case of emotional high blood pressure and that treating my extreme anxiety will get rid of it.

In Kiwi lingo, it's likely 3% emotional and 97% genetics.

2 younger siblings already take medication for it and almost everyone over the age of 35 in both branches of the family do as well.

flavio:  We're all different, and it does sound like there may be some genetic factors at play, but I'll share this anyway.  Anxiety has never been something I've dealt with, up until July 2020, when a number of factors creating chronic stress pushed me over the edge.  My blood pressure was consistently high (130s-140s, climbing into the 150s-160s on occasion), but I told my cardiologist I wanted to try to deal with the anxiety before getting put on blood pressure meds.  It took me a while, but I did find some strategies that worked for me, and I also had to figure out what my triggers were and begin to deal with them as well.  14 months later, my b.p. is generally between 115-130.  It could still be a little lower, but my cardiologist is happy enough so as to not recommend blood pressure meds.

Flavio: Some things are beyond our control. My dad had high BP so I expect I may inherit that eventually, though my mom's is on the other extreme so who knows. At least you are treating it, that's the main thing. For what it's worth, I've been taking beetroot powder once a day, for the benefits (alleged) to running (nitrous oxide, etc) but it is supposed to lower BP. I haven't checked my BP but have noticed my resting HR is the lowest I've every reached, lining up with the time since I've started taking the beetroot powder. May just be a coincidence though.

So is 75 kg good or bad for you?? Had to do the conversion; looks like we are the same weight.

RP: Yeah, I think just go out in 6:20-25 and try to hold on. I think you'll surprise yourself (in a good way).

OMR: I meant to say, sorry to hear about the achilles situation; hope that it heals up nicely. If things are hectic with work it at least lines up well with some down time and a focus on the strengthening work.

I managed a slow 6 miles this morning, with some pain initially but mostly fading after a mile, though still "there". Now at work I am feeling it periodically when walking. Not sure what to think of this. I signed up for a couple more marathons (I know, I'm crazy...); Detroit on Oct. 17 and Suffolk County on Oct 24. So I'll have options every weekend for the 3 weeks after Hartford if needed.

2:52:16 (2018)

Thought this might be the thread to ask this ??

I seem to recall a chart/graph that compared marathons time with average weekly mileage....

particularly interested a 3hr marathon or 2:59 etc... but would like the that chart or comparison from 2:30 to 3 to 3:30 to 4:00 etc...

thanks if anyone has this info or chart.

300m- 37 sec.

CalBears

Thought this might be the thread to ask this ??

I seem to recall a chart/graph that compared marathons time with average weekly mileage....

particularly interested a 3hr marathon or 2:59 etc... but would like the that chart or comparison from 2:30 to 3 to 3:30 to 4:00 etc...

thanks if anyone has this info or chart.

Interesting... You think there is such a chart?

In my best years, I was averaging 80-90 mpw, hardly achieved sub 2:50. My friend, kayry, was averaging 40-50 mpw, ran 2:38 marathon, the same age - I wonder if it was a mileage or genetics?

On the other hand, I seem to be in a camp of partially injured, well... I mostly self-injured myself - did cross-training 2 days ago and could not move for the next 2 days Smile I can't make myself do that cross-training at least every other day - otherwise I am missing running days for a few times already. 10 days till the race...

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

JT - false alarm, my scale was wonky cause one leg was not level with the ground.

Good planning with the backup races.

OMR - thanks yeah I need to do some thinking. What bothers me the most is that I have no way of knowing the root cause of the high BP.

Cause then I could try to eliminate it.

So I guess Ill go overboard and do many exams.

If the hardware is fine then at least my mind will be at ease.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

HermosaBoy

Howdy -- sorry to just jump in on the thread this far into the year, but...

Anyone in the group looking to go sub 3:00 at Chicago this year?

It will be my comeback marathon after a stress fracture in late April.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

CalBears

Howdy -- sorry to just jump in on the thread this far into the year, but...

Anyone in the group looking to go sub 3:00 at Chicago this year?

It will be my comeback marathon after a stress fracture in late April.

You can check page 1 of this thread for the races that will be ran by members of this group - I don't see any of us here will be running Chicago this year.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

managed a slow 6 miles this morning, with some pain initially but mostly fading after a mile, though still "there". Now at work I am feeling it periodically when walking. Not sure what to think of this. I signed up for a couple more marathons (I know, I'm crazy...); Detroit on Oct. 17 and Suffolk County on Oct 24. So I'll have options every weekend for the 3 weeks after Hartford if needed.

Are you trying to take the phantom taper pain crown from me? I will not allow this! On the forecast, I would not worry about it I have 12 at MP planned Sunday and looked earlier this week before I left. It was forecasted to be a high of 68 and dry. Now its 80 and sunny. Anything more than a 5 day forecast is a guess. Once you get to 3 days, its pretty solid, especially on dew point. I wouldn't worry yet.

I'm running the Suffolk County Half, but that marathon looks just as bad as the hamptons. They changed the route this year and there is a lot of the marathon on the water. You won't need it though, I guarantee this injury is fake. The weather, I won't guarantee though 

Dead Zone - I thought the concept itself was okay, but the pace was crazy (7:40 not acceptable for 2:40 marathoners). I do think there is an idea of a DZ during easy paced running, which is what nimmals was getting at.

Meet Ups - I look forward to seeing Cal and RP again at CIM, and meeting CK as well. I've met nimmals twice. Hope there are more meet ups!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

HermosaBoy

You can check page 1 of this thread for the races that will be ran by members of this group - I don't see any of us here will be running Chicago this year.

Thanks -- it was worth a try.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob