2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

Thanks -- it was worth a try.

Ha-ha. I do not think with your experience you would need any company. Plus, Chicago is so big of a race, you should have “company” all the time Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

OMR

OMR: I meant to say, sorry to hear about the achilles situation; hope that it heals up nicely. If things are hectic with work it at least lines up well with some down time and a focus on the strengthening work.

I managed a slow 6 miles this morning, with some pain initially but mostly fading after a mile, though still "there". Now at work I am feeling it periodically when walking. Not sure what to think of this. I signed up for a couple more marathons (I know, I'm crazy...); Detroit on Oct. 17 and Suffolk County on Oct 24. So I'll have options every weekend for the 3 weeks after Hartford if needed.

Had I run the half marathon, I was planning on taking a couple of weeks off anyway because of everything going on the next two weeks, so yes, the timing is good.  Sorry to hear about the foot pain; hope it clears up soon.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - im going for sub 3 and hope for the best. If I have a really bad fade or injury I'll DNF though.

Slightly shorter week due to taper and a bad reaction to the second Moderna shot.

One week to go.

Weekly for period: From: 09/27/2021 To 10/03/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
        in ft
        09/28 9 + 6x30s strides 9.53 15.33 01:15:51 07:58 04:57 135
        09/29 Morning Run 8.10 13.04 01:05:17 08:04 05:00 69
        09/30 6x (1 mile@6:15-6:20 + 2' rest) 11.28 18.15 01:23:49 07:26 04:37 98
        10/01 Morning Run 7.01 11.27 00:56:16 08:02 05:00 148
        10/03 Planned 14 miles but still feeling weak from the 2nd vax shot reaction 10.30 16.58 01:24:08 08:10 05:04 98

Total distance: 46.22mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio -  I had Moderna too - the second shot packed a punch in my case as well (though my sig other had it worse).

My week:

52 miles running, 4.5 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 80 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga
          T: 7.5 miles very easy (9:36), then upper body weights/core, followed by 3.5 miles very easy (9:07), drills, two hill strides, two flat strides.
          W: 12 miles, including a workout of 3x2 miles at half-marathon effort in 13:23 (6:39/6:45), 13:13 (6:36/6:37) and 13:20 (6:39/6:41). About 5 minutes recovery between each.
          Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
          Th: 1:40 hours pool-running and streaming yoga.
          F: 8 miles very easy on treadmill (9:29), then upper body weights/core and 4 miles very easy outside (9:10) plus drills and four strides
          Sa: 17 miles, including a workout of 3x3 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float, plus 1 mile harder. Splits were 21:35 (7:13 pace), 21:21 (7:07 pace), 20:51 (6:57 pace) and then 6:31. Floats ranged between 8:01 and 8:10. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
          Su: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.

I decided this week to swap to the half at Indy (still waiting for confirmation that I can).  I'm just not where I want to be fitness-wise for 5 weeks out.  I could stretch stuff out and target a later marathon instead, but I'm really liking the idea of racing two halves instead, and then a turkey trot.  And then doing a full build for a spring marathon (considering Glass City at this point).

In light of this decision, I revised Saturday's workout from 2x5 at marathon effort to 3x3 at marathon effort plus 1 mile faster.  To give context, the second workout (the 3x3+1) is what my coach likes people to do; I prefer 2x5 for marathon training.  But...I think  the 3x3+1 works a bit better for half-marathon training; additionally doing it this weekend meant that I still kept the option of doing a full open if for some reason I can't switch.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Steve - im going for sub 3 and hope for the best. If I have a really bad fade or injury I'll DNF though.

Flavio - I hope you’re able to complete it and give a race report as it looks like a super cool and interesting marathon to run which I might go for next year.

I watched the London marathon on tv this morning and couldn’t help noticing the lack of crowd support compared to previous years and they had 40 waves of 1000...so I’m thinking the last few waves might need head torches. 😳

ETA - Well done to the London organisers for making it happen. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

40 waves of 1000...so I’m thinking the last few waves might need head torches. 😳

Wow.  As you said, anyway you can make it happen, but....40 waves?

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wow.  As you said, anyway you can make it happen, but....40 waves?

And?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

ETA - Well done to the London organisers for making it happen. 👍

Totally.  If a race as big as London can figure it out, no excuse for smaller races not to come up with solutions.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Totally.  If a race as big as London can figure it out, no excuse for smaller races not to come up with solutions.

Yep, but unfortunately I don’t think NZ will have the same approach. You are in for a rough ride for at least the rest of the year...probably longer..

Marky_Mark_17

Yep, but unfortunately I don’t think NZ will have the same approach. You are in for a rough ride for at least the rest of the year...probably longer..

You clearly aren't up with the play.  Looking like events will be all go this summer for us with proof of vaccination.

Or maybe you're just having a smug gloat, I'm not sure.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You clearly aren't up with the play.  Looking like events will be all go this summer for us with proof of vaccination.

Or maybe you're just having a smug gloat, I'm not sure.

Let’s wait and see....

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m just here to say I apparently need to step up my CIM training, and I’m not exactly sure how I feel about this yet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

flavio - it's interesting, re vaccines - my wife, my daughter and myself - we all had Pfizer and none of us didn't have any reaction to it, to both doses (except of a day of pain at the point of the injection). You had an interesting cycle - I hope not all of your training cycles are so interesting like this one Smile. Training cycle supposed to be a boring and you should be looking towards the race as an exit from boredom Smile. Anyway, I think speed wise you are so ready for sub 3, no doubt. But I would like to see a higher mileage, honestly, to tell you are you will be there no doubt. Still, I would go 6:50 pace and see what happens - there is no other way to discover. And  then adjust for the next cycle if necessary.

DW - I have never understood why some runners are so afraid of going the marathon way. So, you thin you are not ready for a marathon. What does that mean? Do you think running two HMs instead of one marathon will make you more prepared for a marathon? Or you just don't want to be disappointed in the final result? I would chose marathon any time if I am training for one - there is no better way to tune up all the systems - even if the result is not what you are dreaming of. HM is totally different animal - I know so many masters of HMs who have never became masters of FMs. Not trying to be invasive, hope you understand - just my opinion.

jhudak - seems like you are out of the woods - saw your 20 miler today - good job - don't get too excited Smile

RP - let us know when you decide how you feel about that Smile

My week was ok. Though on Wednesday morning, after my run, I did some  exercises which previously were done like a week ago. And by the end of the day I could barely move - everything below waste was aching - so, I still managed to do an evening run and then, based on how I felt, I skipped the whole Thursday running. Everything was relatively good again on Friday and beyond. One week to Boston - seems like it could be a pretty warm one.

Mo - 8.23 @8:43

Tu - 8.11 @7:27 with 2x2 miles @6:25, 6:21

We - 6.56 @8:49 am / 5.05 @9:54

Th - off

Fr - 8.23 @8:35 am / 4.04 @8:42 pm

Sa - 11.05 @8:36

Su - 13.03 @8:50

===

Total: 64.3 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

HermosaBoy

Ha-ha. I do not think with your experience you would need any company. Plus, Chicago is so big of a race, you should have “company” all the time Smile

It's been a while since I have finished a marathon.  

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey - my thought was that 40 waves of 1000 runners each seemed incredibly logistically challenging, without any benefit in return.  But perhaps I'm missing something.

flavio - it's interesting, re vaccines - my wife, my daughter and myself - we all had Pfizer and none of us didn't have any reaction to it, to both doses (except of a day of pain at the point of the injection). 

My understanding is that Moderna generally elicits stronger reactions than Pfizer, especially to the second shot.  OTOH, Moderna also seems to be more effective against the delta variant, so possibly worth it.

DW - I have never understood why some runners are so afraid of going the marathon way. So, you thin you are not ready for a marathon. What does that mean? Do you think running two HMs instead of one marathon will make you more prepared for a marathon? Or you just don't want to be disappointed in the final result? I would chose marathon any time if I am training for one - there is no better way to tune up all the systems - even if the result is not what you are dreaming of. HM is totally different animal - I know so many masters of HMs who have never became masters of FMs. Not trying to be invasive, hope you understand - just my opinion.

It's a fair point (and no offense taken).  And to your point, if I hadn't already run a marathon earlier this year, I'd still do this one just to get one under my belt.

But...I have already raced a marathon this year.  And my decision is not so much about being afraid of a bad race (which can happen at any distance) as it is about taking a long term view of my running.  Essentially, if I race a marathon all out, it takes me about 8-10 weeks to get back to where I was in terms of general fitness/speed.    While I can come back much quicker from shorter races.

Additionally, you describe a marathon as the "best way to tune up all the systems" - I think that may be very individual.  For me, the 10 mile to HM distance is what I get the most training benefit from.

So....if I just want to run a marathon for the sake of finishing a marathon, sure I'd do this one this fall.  But if I want to advance my fitness forward so that I can start running faster times (including a faster spring marathon), it makes much more sense to make this swap.

I think our differences in opinion may also be because you seem to view the marathon as the ultimate race, and everything else as secondary.  I don't see it that way - to me, a race of any distance can be a worthy target/goal.