2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - I know you mean that I should steer clear of the negative thoughts and for that I'm thankful.

I'll be focusing on Austrian desserts instead 😋

I'm going to try to detox from tech stuff now, See you all on the other side of the race 💪

Awesome! Best of luck. I assume there is no tracking, so we'll see it on Strava.

JT - have you had this injury before? As someone who has gotten his fair share of injuries during tapers (only the metatarsalgia was bad enough that it bothered me for months after the race), I think it's a good idea you're continuing to run. A stress fracture would have made no sense: that's why when a podiatrist told me I had one 2 days before NYC and gave me a boot, I just ignored her. I also think if it's just tendonitis, you're not running some major risk here of running the race.

Of course, this is up to you, but I feel like you are in clear PR shape and who knows when that opportunity will come again. None of us are getting younger. If you had a lot of room to go here in terms of potential, I'd agree with the conservative approach.

Again though, that's a personal risk decision. I'm very PR driven (perhaps too much so, as others have pointed out), and if you fear a long lasting injury would be much worse than never breaking 2:50, then there's a different choice there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Again though, that's a personal risk decision. I'm very PR driven (perhaps too much so, as others have pointed out), and if you fear a long lasting injury would be much worse than never breaking 2:50, then there's a different choice there.

Are these the only possible outcomes of my situation?!! If I don't run Saturday, 2:50 will never happen? I guess I'm done racing then...

I appreciate the feedback JMac, but racing a marathon Saturday would result in no PR, likely a DNF, plus a huge worsening of the injury. You'll have to trust me that this is not some minor thing, or just something in my mind. I think the best plan is to heal this up, while continuing running as much as possible, and then run a different marathon. I think the fitness can still be retained.

2:52:16 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Good week. Being in the DR for those days, especially when you've already had a glimpse of fall, sure sound like a recipe for running misery to me!

RP - Great race! Definitely provides a positive outlook for CIM.
        I'll also second that people should read "Endure".

JHud - Really solid finish to that week, and looks like a solid plan for the next few weeks with regards to accomodating the knee issues.

Flavio - I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who went through an entire marathon cycle and had everything go perfectly, and you have pretty much every reason to feel optimistic. Looking forward to seeing your race, and (assuming you see this) enjoy that digital detox along the way.

Had a rough race over the weekend (went out too fast for the conditions), but I still got to eat bratwurst, smoked German sausage, and sauerkraut afterwards (race is a part of Oktoberfest in a small German town). Easy stuff this week, apart from a light workout today to get the legs moving a bit. I also finally bought my airline tickets for CIM, too!

Weekly for period: From: 09/27/2021 To 10/03/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
        in ft
        09/27 9E, 20 min HMe 13.15 21.17 01:41:18 07:42 04:47 551
        09/27 Runch 5.10 8.21 00:44:35 08:45 05:26 194
        09/28 6 deer (6 strides), 5 raccoons, & 2 owls 10.05 16.17 01:26:47 08:38 05:22 423
        09/29 Stealthy like a ninja 12.05 19.39 01:39:59 08:18 05:09 482
        09/30 5 deer (5 strides), 1 loud rabbit, & some spicy sky fractals 9.15 14.73 01:14:30 08:09 05:03 436
        10/01 1 owl 7.05 11.34 00:59:53 08:30 05:17 279
        10/02 Warming up a bit 3.15 5.08 00:25:07 07:58 04:57 98
        10/02 Wurst Race Half 13.13 21.12 01:30:20 06:53 04:17 495
        10/02 Nope. Enough of this nonsense. 1.65 2.66 00:15:46 09:33 05:56 72
        10/03 3 hawks & 3 rabbits 5.25 8.45 00:43:44 08:20 05:11 174

Total distance: 79.76mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Are these the only possible outcomes of my situation?!! If I don't run Saturday, 2:50 will never happen? I guess I'm done racing then...

I appreciate the feedback JMac, but racing a marathon Saturday would result in no PR, likely a DNF, plus a huge worsening of the injury. You'll have to trust me that this is not some minor thing, or just something in my mind. I think the best plan is to heal this up, while continuing running as much as possible, and then run a different marathon. I think the fitness can still be retained.

Yeah I agree with everything you just said, I didn't mean race this Saturday or no 2:50, I meant if you just don't run a marathon at all this fall because of it. But I do think people (not necessarily you) take for granted they can just pick it back up next cycle. We are all getting older and there is no guarantee you will a) get back into the same fitness and b) get to race day healthy. If we believe the MM criteria, we lose a minute every year. That's a lot to make up in training. Sorry if it came across as "race this weekend or you're screwed!"

And I've never bought that taper injuries are in your "mind" as some people claim. Clearly not given one of my injuries last 3+ months. I've said before that the less I run, the more injured I am (this cycle is perfect example: was dealing with so much stuff back in June/July running 40 MPW, but now feel great at 80. Happens every damn cycle). So I'm not surprised I pick up a bunch of stuff during the taper. Your tendonitis may be the same exact thing.

ETA: Keen - any details on the race? Just saw your post in the sub 1:30 thread, looks like it was heat/humidity that got to you. Wouldn't worry too much about that and what it means for CIM. I can't even run 13.1 miles at MP in bad weather.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sorry to hear about the injury, I had to look up EHL and it’s ridiculous the amount of different injuries a runner can pick up!  Anyway you’re only 45yo and I’m still confident you’ll get under 2:50 eventually. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT man whatever happened I hope you're able to get back from it.

JMac wait...1 minute per year? crap. Well I agree with your statement about people taking fitness for granted, and the work it takes to get it back. I'm living it. Not exactly what I envisioned for another CIM post 2019.

Keen As JMac said, I wouldn't let it get in your way for CIM. Shit happens. The weather at CIM could suck, or be ideal. Plus you run a TON of miles, so perhaps running less miles will give you fresher legs. At least you got the "i went out too fast" out of your system.

race report posted to strava. It probably won't fit here. It might also not live up to the level of previous reports, and all I can say is "I tried." It's just....different.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11771317/posts/18144993

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Sorry to hear about the injury, I had to look up EHL and it’s ridiculous the amount of different injuries a runner can pick up!  Anyway you’re only 45yo and I’m still confident you’ll get under 2:50 eventually. 👍

Thanks Mikkey. I'd never heard of the EHL before either! It was kind of cool how the guy identified it and how it being injured exactly matched up with all the symptoms I had.

JMac: It is weird how things tend to fall apart once mileage drops; I guess this means we should just do a super steep taper; 75 miles/week right up till 4 days before the race, then taper.  Or we could do no taper at all like in the old days. I read that Jim Peters ran a long hard run the day before some of his marathons. Imagine what he could have done tapered!

RP: Great 10k! That's a huge PR! I was wallowing too much in my own sorrow and missed your weekly with that result. Nice race report. The fact that you ran it at 4500+ ft is impressive; I'd say your on track for a new PR at CIM.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jt I think it is impressive as well. Oddly, I was expecting a LOT more from my 5k at sea level on Memorial Day. Maybe the East Coast humidity and 60-75F temps were to blame. Maybe it’s because ‘Marathon RP’ wasn’t running it. We shall see how 7:00/mi pace goes tomorrow for 8 miles. It’s going to be mentally massive to pull it off and start pushing for a great day at CIM.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - yeah, I'll take the blame for your injury! It's really a bummer. And don't apologize about being down and out to anyone: taper injuries can be outright depressing if it jeopardizes your race. Hoping to see you out there again soon.

RP - you always write some crazy race reports. Sounds like they didn't have a lead bike, which is something every race should have imo for the reasons you just saw.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

RP - Excellent race and it’s just what you needed right now.  Yeah, most sub3 runners can comfortably go under 39min for a 10k...but I think it’s all about momentum and positivity during a marathon cycle and there is no excuse now for any negative stuff in the next 2 months before CIM. Go for it. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JT - yeah, I'll take the blame for your injury! It's really a bummer. And don't apologize about being down and out to anyone: taper injuries can be outright depressing if it jeopardizes your race. Hoping to see you out there again soon.

RP - you always write some crazy race reports. Sounds like they didn't have a lead bike, which is something every race should have imo for the reasons you just saw.

Correct. If a motorcycle hopped in later in the race I never saw it/them. I do think it would have helped just with the little bit of overlap, about 1.2 miles, the races have with the 5k. I'm sure the half marathon runners weren't too happy. 10km, AND 5km runners to deal with? I saw one of the 1:23 finishers cross the finish line and cheered him on. There wasn't much traffic, AND I saw him in the final 1/8 mile.

mikkey Work sent me an email yesterday. I'm stomping my feet, making loud noises, and typing too loud. It's distracting others. I'm in the office one day a week. I fired back with "I told my boss about this guy witha mechanical keyboard about 2 months ago and nothing happened. Other people have 20-30 minute conversations not related to work around me. I don't say anything anymore because I expect to be the problem." This was AFTER the offered a meeting, if I wanted, then said one wasn't necessary, when I said I wanted. I haven't heard back. I'm sure it's more "unprofessional behavior" to tell my supervisor's boss he doesn't listen, and point out my supervisor doesn't do anything with my complaints. "Sorry it's unprofessional to tell you every time I bring a problem to you, you point out how I'm the problem, and I don't even want to talk to you because I know you'll do nothing other than make me a problem for having a problem." It never amazes me when my coworkers actions aren't a distraction, but mine are. Including communicating 30 feet away from each other in the cubicle next to mine.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

mikkey Work sent me an email yesterday. I'm stomping my feet, making loud noises, and typing too loud. It's distracting others. I'm in the office one day a week. I fired back with "I told my boss about this guy witha mechanical keyboard about 2 months ago and nothing happened. Other people have 20-30 minute conversations not related to work around me. I don't say anything anymore because I expect to be the problem." This was AFTER the offered a meeting, if I wanted, then said one wasn't necessary, when I said I wanted. I haven't heard back. I'm sure it's more "unprofessional behavior" to tell my supervisor's boss he doesn't listen, and point out my supervisor doesn't do anything with my complaints. "Sorry it's unprofessional to tell you every time I bring a problem to you, you point out how I'm the problem, and I don't even want to talk to you because I know you'll do nothing other than make me a problem for having a problem." It never amazes me when my coworkers actions aren't a distraction, but mine are. Including communicating 30 feet away from each other in the cubicle next to mine.

Life sucks. Most people suck. Do you have a pet?  They never let you down. ❤️

That's for sure. Here's our crew; they always put me in a better mood.

May be an image of dog

No photo description available.

May be an image of Persian cat and indoor

Running Problem

Problem Child

I do. Yorkshire terrier. Previously I ran with him until I got too fast. I refuse to run his pace.

edit: I felt better after my run. I didn’t want to run and made myself run. It made things better while also making them worse.

VDOT 53.37 

Two (rescued/ferral) kittens for me...  I'm a dog AND cat person, but my wife is a cat person.

Little Rosie follows me everywhere... I love animals much more than people....I should be a vegetarian... maybe some day...

But I haven't yet had my cats tattoo'ed on my arms (like squirrel)!