2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT - Wow, what a beautiful family!

rovatti - I remember being surprised at the amount of dog walkers in NYC!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I love animals much more than people....I should be a vegetarian... maybe some day...

Same boat. I've just realized it's not possible for me. I have cut my meat eating significantly though over the years. Tofu has gotten a lot better over the years.

My dog is a pit bull mix we adopted at 9 months. She still has the same energy at 7 years old, but it's on her own terms. She can run off leash for an hour, but absolutely hates going for a run with me on a leash. I remember dps dog will do 9+ miles with him!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Same boat. I've just realized it's not possible for me. I have cut my meat eating significantly though over the years. Tofu has gotten a lot better over the years.

Thirded (except for the tofu part).  I would love to be vegan, but I've already had to eliminate all legumes (including nuts, beans, peas), gluten, and soy.  I have no idea how I could maintain a healthy diet that gave me the calories and nutrients I need if I also cut out all animal products.

I'm eagerly awaiting lab grown meat.

I'm also loving all the animal photos

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Just awesome... Flight is tomorrow, hotel reservation cannot be cancelled and I finally got a bug from my daughter who is sick since Monday (no covid - two lab tests for both kids). I have some slight sore throat and a beginning of lightheadedness. My luck I guess. Still planning to fly - the race is almost 4 days away - maybe it will be an easy sickness??? Any advice on magic pills / procedures? Darn...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I did NOT see you as a pitbull owner. Greyhound, or some other cliche East Coast dog. Definitely not a pit bull.

I know hummus and oreos are vegan. This is about as close as I'll get. Not sorry. I eat too much chicken, and I'm not willing to put in the effort to be vegetarian, or vegan, when it comes to restaurants and family gatherings. My sister in law is vegetarian and I'll do what I can/need to for her, if she'll help me, without hesitation. Thankfully she knows her family and doesn't show up expecting people to take her into consideration. "we're going to the most non-vegetarian restaurant for dinner." Gee, thanks for the invite.

Cal You have the luck of CommanderKeen for his last two BQ attempts. At least the weather is miserable. I hope you're not going to be a breakthrough case. Seriously. It would suck to find out when you're there for the race, that you can't run the race.

I'll be tracking lots of people if I remember your names/bib numbers.  I know AceHarris will be there. He's targeting a sub 3 for sure. I THINK a 2:54.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thirded (except for the tofu part).  I would love to be vegan, but I've already had to eliminate all legumes (including nuts, beans, peas), gluten, and soy.  I have no idea how I could maintain a healthy diet that gave me the calories and nutrients I need if I also cut out all animal products.

Seems almost impossible given that diet! One great example for me was Chipotle actually (since you're the Queen Bee there): I switched over to the Sofritas as my protein and haven't looked back. That's generally where I find ways to cut: when it's a meat mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.

Here's our dog while she was at boarding on my latest trip. I do like the idea of more animal picks. Rune over in the sub 1:30 thread has a great dog he posts a lot on Strava!

7753724c-9b4f-4814-abf6-6d801908fb5f-IMG-6065

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - missed your post. I don't think this was going to be a "goal" race for you either way with the weather forecast, looking warm and way too humid. Hopefully it stays light, Monday is a long way away. Unfortunately I don't have any remedies besides stay hydrated and sleep a lot.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

This is quite far from me! My diet is quite heavily animal based. It comes partially from both sides of my family running their own small-ish farms/ranches. And partial because it's delicious and nutrient-dense.

Cal - Bummer luck, man. I'm all too familiar with getting sick like that. Dallas 2019 a stomach bug that worked its way through my family (I thought I was fortunate enough to miss it) started to surface around mile 11. It turned a sub 3 attempt into nearly a 6 hour sufferfest. It didn't even occur to me until after the race that I was sick - my thoughts were more along the lines of just being a failure, lol.

No magic pill suggestions, but I'd suggest pushing fluids, electrolytes, and sleep even more than you usually would pre-race.

RP - Following Ace will be quite interesting. That guy certainly does seem to have gotten fast since leaving here...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Cal: Sorry to hear that. Like TN Weather said to me once: I know a lot of ways to catch a cold but none to get rid of one. I agree with what others have said about fluids and sleep. I hope it's a minor bug you can kick quickly.

JMac: Cute dog!

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - thanks. I had cats growing up. My dad named them after the devil as he hated cats. We had a Beelzebub (called her Bells), Satan, and Lucifer. I definitely want a cat at some point, but it's hard in a small apartment with the dog. One day.

Saw your bike ride today, smart. As someone who takes time off all the time as the laziest member of this board, it definitely will come back, and we are early in the cycle. Maybe you'll actually run CIM with us...I'm sure KeenCal, and RP would love to see you as well!

RP - funny you think that's an east cost dog. I see probably over a hundred dogs per day (no joke), and I see maybe one Italian Grehyound a month. The winters are too cold here.

Anyway, a real NYC dog for the upppity folks is whatever the latest "doodle" fashion dog is. You can't walk a block in NYC without seeing a doodle. People are obsessed and now breeding them with every breed you can think of. Of course, NYC is a huge place, and different dog breeds are popular in different places.

The coolest is seeing the Great Danes walking around. Would love to see one in an apartment one day and figure out how that works.

Keen - I think my desire to go more vegetarian is both a desire to eat more vegetables in general, but also just being horrified by factory farming. If I know every piece of meat I got came from a small ranch, I'd be much happier. I do the best I can with organic etc. when I have a choice, but I don't always, and it makes me feel bad, so then I try to stick with the vegetarian options.

iamdisappoint

Hello!

It has been a while, and I only recognize the screen names of a few of you. Are those of you running Boston meeting up afterwards anywhere?

Strugglr and I are doing the Chicago / Boston double, so we're on our way to ORD now. It'd be great to run into some of you on Monday! (Except Cal, I don't want his COVID)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Hello!

It has been a while, and I only recognize the screen names of a few of you. Are those of you running Boston meeting up afterwards anywhere?

Strugglr and I are doing the Chicago / Boston double, so we're on our way to ORD now. It'd be great to run into some of you on Monday! (Except Cal, I don't want his COVID)

Hi Dan! Cal is the lone Boston runner from this group. Good luck with the double, I trust you've prepped well with some sweat runs!

2:52:16 (2018)

Marby

Ash

Go Flavio.
                            Splits looking good through the early stages.
                            10k in 42:19 (4:13/6:48)
                            17k in 1:12:02 (4:14/6:49)
                            Half in 1:28:42 (4:12/6:45)
                            Conditions look awesome 11C/52F and light wind.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Marby

Ash

25.3k in 1:47:12 (4:14/6:49)
                              30k in 2:07:30 (4:15/6:50)

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Marby

Ash

Was still on track at 34.6k but something went wrong from there.

3:05:32 finish.