2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

I'd honestly say do it now while your daughter is young and you don't have as much going on, or wait until she is 10-15 years old.

This was funny. ****Spoiler alert...she (and by extension, you) will have 100x more going on in this stage of life. Mine are 13 and 15 and my running has fallen off a cliff...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    Running Problem

Problem Child

This was funny. ****Spoiler alert...she (and by extension, you) will have 100x more going on in this stage of life. Mine are 13 and 15 and my running has fallen off a cliff...

At least you can tell them "dad's going to run for 6 hours. Sit in the car with your devices and tell my spouse how boring this is, and scream extra loud cheers for the seconds you see me." I tell myself this having seen it, but also at 13 and 15 can't you encourage them to spend a weekend with friends? Sleepovers with $50 for dinner?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

At least you can tell them "dad's going to run for 6 hours. Sit in the car with your devices and tell my spouse how boring this is, and scream extra loud cheers for the seconds you see me." I tell myself this having seen it, but also at 13 and 15 can't you encourage them to spend a weekend with friends? Sleepovers with $50 for dinner?

Not exactly sure how to decipher this. Mine are overscheduled with all the stuff they want to do in all the places they want to do it, and I'm an enabler. it doesn't leave a lot of time for training. I do look forward to when they can drive themselves to the practices.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

And thanks Mikkey for the kind words. You asked about that race, I'd say it's totally worth it as a vacation marathon. Do hit me up if you have any specific questions about it.

Great RR and thanks for the offer as it sounds amazing!  How about using a modified half marathon plan for your next marathon? I think Cal did that for his marathon PR (Pfitz).  We can talk about it when you calm down and recover. 😁

Cal - Really good effort (as always from you) and hope you enjoyed it!  Yeah I hate that feeling when you think you’re running fast and putting in the effort...but the watch is saying differently!  I’m sure you’ll get comfortably under 3 hours at CIM and give me something to aim for BQ wise next year. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

flavio - I hear some sarcasm in your “thank you” - but maybe I am too sensitive. I was trying to be honest with you - that’s it. I usually don’t do that with most of the americans (not this group) as all they wanna hear - “great job” ðŸĪŠ Your 10 minutes PR is huge - if you PRed by 25 minutes that would mean you didn’t train for your previous marathon. My progression to sub 3 was 3:31, 3:23, 3:12, 3:06, 2:58.

RP - I agree not all marathons supposed to be great, but my goal was 2:55 and I didn’t have meltdown and still didn’t even run sub 3.

Mikkey - what do you mean giving you something for a BQ? I already ran two marathons with like 20 and 25 minutes under BQ ðŸĪ·‍♂ïļ

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great RR and thanks for the offer as it sounds amazing!  How about using a modified half marathon plan for your next marathon? I think Cal did that for his marathon PR (Pfitz).  We can talk about it when you calm down and recover. 😁

Cal - Really good effort (as always from you) and hope you enjoyed it!  Yeah I hate that feeling when you think you’re running fast and putting in the effort...but the watch is saying differently!  I’m sure you’ll get comfortably under 3 hours at CIM and give me something to aim for BQ wise next year. 👍

I agree with both of these points. Flavio might be better suited for that type of training. And I'm very confident in Cal getting a sub 3 at CIM. It's the ultimate cheater course, with cheater weather. Plus, it's close to home for him, so he gets more sleep in his own bed, which is another version of cheating. It's in the bag.

RP - you're still running in Zoom Flys? You gotta bite the bullet and get the Next%2. That alone may get you another minute closer. The ZF are great for training runs, I ran in about 3 different pairs of them, but they're not the VF. I at least hope this is a newer pair and you're not still running on the shoes you ran in 2019.

Cal - I think Flavio is serious. Please continue to keep it real. We don't need more applause for bad performances, PRs on illegitimate courses, etc.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - I meant that I hope to get a similar BQ time so that we’re in the same corral. (assuming it’s back to normal in 2023)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal - I meant that I hope to get a similar BQ time so that we’re in the same corral. (assuming it’s back to normal in 2023)

It should’t be a problem - I can always switch to your more  slower corral 😜. 

Btw, I hope they continue with rolling start - it was so much convenient for me and many others.

CalBears

I agree with both of these points. Flavio might be better suited for that type of training. And I'm very confident in Cal getting a sub 3 at CIM. It's the ultimate cheater course, with cheater weather. Plus, it's close to home for him, so he gets more sleep in his own bed, which is another version of cheating. It's in the bag.

RP - you're still running in Zoom Flys? You gotta bite the bullet and get the Next%2. That alone may get you another minute closer. The ZF are great for training runs, I ran in about 3 different pairs of them, but they're not the VF. I at least hope this is a newer pair and you're not still running on the shoes you ran in 2019.

Cal - I think Flavio is serious. Please continue to keep it real. We don't need more applause for bad performances, PRs on illegitimate courses, etc.

I still insist that CIM is legitimate ðŸĪĢ. Seriously though, this time Boston got kind of difficult for me - but, I still ran it in 2:50 in 2014. So, it’s a good course when your training was great and weather is good.

Re Zoom Flys - I think those are great shoes and for some reason I do not think VF snd Next% make a huge difference. I ran in ZF CIM 2019 and was just fine and I ran in VF and Next% my last two marathons - came to conclusion - nothing will replace good old training - those shoes are nowhere near to magic, except being pretty noisy ðŸĪĢ - at least in my experience.

pepperjack

pie man

Monday was a holiday

Indigenous Peoples day...

(whispers: and Columbus Day)

Signed your friendly government employee (this week)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Interesting Cal. I always felt that the "pop" felt similar between the two when your legs are fresh, but I find the VF feels much better later into workouts/races because they're so much lighter.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Monday was a federal holiday

Fixed it for ya.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

*RunningProblem has exited the chat*

They are the 2019 version. I had 2 for CIM/training. I think they only made it 6-7 miles in 2020, and another 3.11 earlier this year. I think I could run the same 6:23/mi 10k with either shoe honestly. The biggest factor in the pace would atually be me beleiving I could have done 10 seconds faster. 6:13/mi SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

I was just looking at the alpha and vaporflys this weekend. I THOUGHT the consensus here was the alphafly was a flop, and the vaporfly is what I should go with for CIM. I need to go buy some $85 Nike Pegasus 37s. The New Balance Prizm are annoying now. The insole on the left foot slides back, and I'm just over being cheap about it.

Cal It's like tap dancing meets marathons when I run in them.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

I was just looking at the alpha and vaporflys this weekend. I THOUGHT the consensus here was the alphafly was a flop, and the vaporfly is what I should go with for CIM. I need to go buy some $85 Nike Pegasus 37s. The New Balance Prizm are annoying now. The insole on the left foot slides back, and I'm just over being cheap about it.

Top 3 in Tokyo in the marathon were all wearing the VF Next% 2.  Probably tells you all you need to know.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Top 3 in Tokyo in the marathon were all wearing the VF Next% 2.  Probably tells you all you need to know.

Yeah I think for elites, it's definitely the VF. From what I've read, the AF feels a bit goofy and a lot of folks never bothered moving to it, with many who did ending up switching back. I see no point in going to them when I like the VF so much. Would be worth a shot if you weren't crazy about the VF.

I'm still on an old pair of 4%. I probably should have tested the Next%2 before my race next weekend, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it. Always a good idea to try new shoes in a PR attempt!