2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

Heh, I’m guessing disaster is what would have happened if you didn’t accept sub 3 wasn’t possible and kept pushing for it anyway

Interesting... For me a disaster would be running at something like sub 7 pace until miles 20-22 and then slowing down to 9:30+ pace. Or walking.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Just catching up. Glad to see everyone is about the same on here. Hot take guys are still hot take guys and the eye roll people are still eye rolling at the hot take people. 

I'm running mankato marathon this weekend. Healthier that I was going into Grandma's but ran less miles coming in. We will see how it goes.

Course profile

So will be going out slower due to a hilly second half.  Hope everyone is doing well.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Interesting... For me a disaster would be running at something like sub 7 pace until miles 20-22 and then slowing down to 9:30+ pace. Or walking.

Yep, that about sums up what I was thinking.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I'm running mankato marathon this weekend. Healthier that I was going into Grandma's but ran less miles coming in. We will see how it goes. 

Best of luck Dan, here's to no issues during the race this time 😊

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So what is a positive split that you would deem a disaster?

My worst was Edinburgh in 2010...2 months after running my first sub3 at Barcelona and full of confidence....it was unusually hot and sunny for Scotland and I ignored the warning signs....I hit halfway in 1:27 and finished in 3:13 an absolute wreck. (positive split 19min!)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

So what is a positive split that you would deem a disaster?

My worst was Edinburgh in 2010...2 months after running my first sub3 at Barcelona and full of confidence....it was unusually hot and sunny for Scotland and I ignored the warning signs....I hit halfway in 1:27 and finished in 3:13 an absolute wreck. (positive split 19min!)

I would say, 1+ minute per mile slowdown after miles 16-18-20 would just mean a meltdown for me, like totally unprepared or weather/sickness related. That would mean something like 15-20 minutes positive split. Disaster I would classify as 2-3+ minutes slower than your original pace - when you really don't care and even if you cared it doesn't matter because you can't. I would say 25-30+ minutes positive split would mean disaster. But I never experienced that - so, it's just theoretically speaking...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I would say, 1+ minute per mile slowdown after miles 16-18-20 would just mean a meltdown for me, like totally unprepared or weather/sickness related. That would mean something like 15-20 minutes positive split. Disaster I would classify as 2-3+ minutes slower than your original pace - when you really don't care and even if you cared it doesn't matter because you can't. I would say 25-30+ minutes positive split would mean disaster. But I never experienced that - so, it's just theoretically speaking...

Yep that sounds about right and luckily I’ve never had a disaster either.  Has JMac ever had a disaster?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yep that sounds about right and luckily I’ve never had a disaster either.  Has JMac ever had a disaster?

Was in the middle of responding to all this when you said this. I was going to say I thought my Boston +4 minute split was a disaster: I wanted to quit running and never do it again. Can't even remember miles 21-26 (I literally only remember Boylston Street, the rest is a complete blur). I cannot IMAGINE the blow ups you guys are talking about. Here are all my marathon splits:

NYC 15: +2:40

NYC 17: -1:30

NYC 18: +1:29

Boston 19: +4:00 (estimate, Boston's site sucks and doesn't have splits)

CIM 19: -0:21

So it looks like all my good races are within +/-90 seconds. Seems like that's the right formula!

DPS - good luck, hopefully you begin posting here more often.

JT - anxiously awaiting for you to get back on track! I think having pain, but less than previously, is always how my injuries go and a great sign things are getting back on track. I saw you had another run recently. Hope that trend continues upward!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT - anxiously awaiting for you to get back on track! I think having pain, but less than previously, is always how my injuries go and a great sign things are getting back on track. I saw you had another run recently. Hope that trend continues upward!

I usually start testing the waters during recovery rather than waiting for 100% pain free.

JT - Do you have access to an elliptical machine?...that is easily the best cross-training for runners,

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Thanks JMac. Kids, work, doing some work on the house. Just haven't been able to get on much. My little girl is a horrible sleeper so I get 6 hours most nights so I just haven't had the time to catch up a read/post often.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

NYC 15: +2:40

NYC 17: -1:30

NYC 18: +1:29

Boston 19: +4:00 (estimate, Boston's site sucks and doesn't have splits)

CIM 19: -0:21

So it looks like all my good races are within +/-90 seconds. Seems like that's the right formula!

Showoff.....

My worst was Hartford 2019 with a 1:25/1:42 for a 3:07. Horrible final 10 miles.

Thanks JMac. I found this morning I can run at 5% incline on the treadmill with zero pain, so I'll be doing that for a while. I'm actually quite happy about this since it will allow me to run and not use the bike. Just can't stand sitting on that thing, I don't know how serious cyclists can stand the ass-pain.

Not sure what I'll be doing for a race. I'm worried with 2+ weeks now of very little running that I've probably lost significant fitness, thus a marathon in November might be too soon. Starting to think about something like Houston in mid-January.

2:52:16 (2018)

I usually start testing the waters during recovery rather than waiting for 100% pain free.

JT - Do you have access to an elliptical machine?...that is easily the best cross-training for runners,

Ah... we used to have one but got rid of it a couple years ago and now have a rowing machine in its place, which is a good workout but again, hurts my ass like crazy after about 10 minutes!  I basically hate all forms of aerobic exercise besides running. Guess I should just never get injured....

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ah... we used to have one but got rid of it a couple years ago and now have a rowing machine in its place, which is a good workout but again, hurts my ass like crazy after about 10 minutes!  I basically hate all forms of aerobic exercise besides running. Guess I should just never get injured....

Get rid of the rowing and bike machine crap (I absolutely detest cyclists)  And get a top of the range elliptical cross trainer. 👍

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Funny, I feel the same. I also heard somebody walking a 10K. That sounds worse to me than running a marathon. Walking 6.2 miles with no break to sit? Pass.

JT - I haven't heard of this marathon, but given you will probably be ready the first weekend in December, I'd check out this link:  https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/registration/

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JT - I haven't heard of this marathon, but given you will probably be ready the first weekend in December, I'd check out this link:  https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/registration/

Ha ha... Yes, I'm sure that's something unknown to you! I was thinking about CIM but even for that, not sure if I'd be ready. Plus there's the other issue, which I won't specify, lest I start a debate that's been thoroughly worn out on this thread.