2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My first marathon was a 1:32/3:48

That is proper disaster. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I thought the race director in London was quoted saying they thought Vax rates plus logistics/supply chains would be totally normal by fall next year for UK so they were doing it late. Also wanted to not try to be coming off the winter if covid surges in UK. It was a better safe than sorry deal.

Lots of things like back drops have been scaled back due to cost after races lost tons of money with cancelations. Also the amount of prep and planning went into getting cities to approve races they had to save money someplace. Bag checks will be back next year I'm sure.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

jhudak55

DW: Has the balance problem improved enough to run Columbus this weekend?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

That is a 23min positive split which actually falls short of a disaster. I want some proper disaster stories. Anyone?

Dallas Marathon 2019.

In the 4 days before the race my oldest & youngest daughter plus my wife all came down with a weird 12-hour stomach bug overnight - one each the 4th, 3rd, & 2nd nights before the race. I left for Dallas feeling fine and thinking my middle daughter and myself just got really lucky in not getting this.

I woke up fine the morning of the race, but was dismayed that temps were 20+ degrees higher than what I had trained in and that it was foggy, but I couldn't change that. I didn't find this out until after the race, but my middle daughter had come down with the bug that night.

I'm moving along well despite the conditions, but notice that things feel a bit tougher than they should around mile 10-11. I recalled JMac's comment that there are down points in every marathon, but just keep moving along and it'll pass.

Halfway comes and things are definitely still harder than they should be, so I back off the effort and revise my goal down. Mile 15 and my goal gets softer as I'm noticeably slowing down. By 17 I'm feeling rough enough (no stomach issues, just fatigue, etc.), getting slower, and my goal has changed to "run as far as you can without stopping, then run/walk the rest". "As far as I could run" was about 2 steps beyond mile 19 - there was a small crowd cheering at that mile marker and I didn't want to walk before passing them. Grabbed a small water bottle, walked 1/4 mile and tried to run. Nope, not happening. Around mile 20 I'm able to run some again and chat a bit with a guy who's training for an ultra coming up (I was planning on a 50k a couple months later as well). I'm thinking along the lines of "how can I run that 50k if I'm doing this badly at a marathon??" I slow to walk through a water stop around mile 21, take the world's tiniest sip of water and my stomach IMMEDIATELY turns.

I'm reduced to walking and am praying to throw up, but just can't. A couple miles later I lay down in someone's driveway and just stop for maybe 30 minutes. At this point I'm being passed by people wearing costumes. I get up, make it ~1/4 mile and sit down for a bit again. Throw up a little in the grass, feel marginally better. Continue to trudge along at 20 min/mi. At ~mile 25.5 I finally manage to properly throw up and feel considerably better. Still no thought that I have the bug that went through my entire family, I just think I'm having a REALLY bad day in hot/humid conditions for the time of year. Walk more strongly to the finish. Make no attempt to run, though I probably could have after emptying my stomach.

5:09:15 finish. 1:30:55 first half split, the last 7.2 miles took longer than the first 19. By 5pm I'm feeling 100% back to normal. My family all got sick overnight, but I'm pretty sure mine hitting during the day was because of the race effort - if I hadn't done that it likely would have hit me that night.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

5:09:15 finish. 1:30:55 first half split

Well everyone pack up your bags and head home, we have a winner

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I remember the tracking on this one. First I thought it was a bad day, then I thought "med tent" and eventually had a rush of relief when I saw the 5 hour finish time. "OH THANK GOD. HE FINISHED!" I was like a nervous spouse biting my nails, checking the phone every 2 minutes thinking it had been 30 wondering what happened.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'll be doing the whole expo thing when I arrive on Friday.

Kind of annoying they're not doing a gear check to the finish. Feel like races are just using COVID as an excuse not to provide services they used to (nobody is catching COVID from a bag, or people handing you their bag). Oh well. I guess I'll just check it before getting on the bus, mainly as I want my phone and wallet at the end of the race. I also still have so much leftover warm clothing from previous races, I'll be nice and warm at the start if we get a typical 40 degree morning that time of year.

I fully agree. I PERSONALLY think it is a "cost savings" (aka "we didn't have a race last year so we aren't sure we have the budget this year) situation. No drop bag at the start is going to mean a LOT of trash in the first miles. More than normal. The bus is going to be packed with people trying to stay warm, and the VIP tent would be really nice IF they offer the services.

Finish line gear check is at the expo or literally the finish line. Sucks for anyone staying in Folsom. I guess I will need to carry my ID and credit card and phone to the finish line. You know, because I'm the only person running this race WITHOUT a spectator at the finish line.

I'm not even sure what I'd want at the finish. I always use it as a drop off for my starting clothes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5:09:15 finish. 1:30:55 first half split, the last 7.2 miles took longer than the first 19. 

Oh. My. Days!!!   Respect that you haven’t quit marathons! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I remember the tracking on this one. First I thought it was a bad day, then I thought "med tent" and eventually had a rush of relief when I saw the 5 hour finish time. "OH THANK GOD. HE FINISHED!" I was like a nervous spouse biting my nails, checking the phone every 2 minutes thinking it had been 30 wondering what happened.

I remember that too, just hoping he was on a drip in a tent somewhere.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c54f423f3d064adb976620ccb4ff32a4/226?pgctx=0BTO2FLGX7yWHJoAVzHsLRS3Iy11

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well everyone pack up your bags and head home, we have a winner

Goose mug, maybe?

JHudak - thanks for asking - no Columbus half for me.  I'm actually feeling slightly better, but I really don't want to run a race while I'm this unstable and undependable.  It's no fun for me, and I'm worried about getting in the way of others.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

If you want to track my race. Fyi Dan Lauer-Schumacher is my full name

Please see below for info on how your friends and family can follow you during the races:

For Athlete Tracking via SMS texting as they cross each split point, please follow these steps:

*This step is needed as a safety precaution so the athlete knows who is tracking them

• Search for your athlete by name or bib number if it has been assigned
                        • Click on Get Mobile Updates button
                        • Click on Agree button for the SMS Waiver
                        • Enter your cell phone number
                        • Click Complete & Save

You may then add another athlete to track

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

jhudak55

DW: Sucks that you won't be able to race. Good to hear that you are improving though.

DPS: Good luck tomorrow!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Goose mug, maybe?

It seems that "winning"  isn't what it used to be.

Also, I got a sad little chuckle out of "goose mug". Good one!

DPS - Good luck.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yes, good luck DPS!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

VDOT 53.37