2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you want to track my race.  Dan Schumacher is the name you want to look up

FIFY... For those interested in tracking.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

DPS crossed at 2:44:06 or 2:44:13. Interesting timing because it said he was on 6:25/mi for the first 7, 6:09/mi at half, 6:50/mi at 21 then finished at either a 7:50/mi or a 6:16/mi pace.

VDOT 53.37 

need2tri

Flavio this is especially for you if you have not seen it.  Nice to hear what CJ has to say about his Boston experience.

https://www.irunfar.com/cj-albertson-post-2021-boston-marathon-interview

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio this is especially for you if you have not seen it.  Nice to hear what CJ has to say about his Boston experience.

https://www.irunfar.com/cj-albertson-post-2021-boston-marathon-interview

Thanks that was really interesting. Do note CJ trains alone and has a full time job as a high school coach + remote coaching + his wife is pregnant.

It's remarkably impressive to run that fast while juggling so many things.

DPS - awesome job, it looks from the splits that you judged pace really well 😊

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marby

Ash

DPS: Great time on a course with that profile and congratulation on third place!

Andres: Nice half!

My week ended up with a good long run after a bit of concern earlier in the week with some awareness in shin/calf.  I still did modified versions of the planned workouts during the week.  Tue – instead of 6k tempo plus hills, went for 9k tempo (4:07/6:37). Thu – still did 500’s but did them cruisy. Ran on grass or dirt where possible. I had 4 pair of new shoes arrive and retired 3 pair all with around 500 miles on them. The lower legs felt improved by Sunday where 14k at marathon effort was scheduled.  I was a little worried about energy levels to get through this one, having kept calories/carbs very low since Wed evening but it ended up not being a problem.  Averaged 4:12/6:46.

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
              in ft
              10/11 Evening Run 6.23 10.03 00:53:06 08:31 05:18 223
              10/12 9k Tempo 9.79 15.75 01:12:34 07:25 04:36 226
              10/13 Morning Run 6.52 10.48 00:58:51 09:02 05:37 210
              10/14 2k & 10x500m 6.87 11.05 00:51:41 07:31 04:41 167
              10/15 Morning Run 7.72 12.41 01:06:43 08:39 05:23 210
              10/16 Morning Run 9.34 15.03 01:17:49 08:20 05:11 331
              10/17 14k@MP 19.34 31.11 02:25:18 07:31 04:40 528

Total distance: 65.80mi

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It would be ridiculous if I posted my mileage every week...so update is 132 miles in the last 30 days since my comeback. I ran my first road race this morning in over 2 1/2 years (an out and back low key Mickey Mouse 10k - sharing the promenade with dog walkers and cyclists) and my first run under 7min/mile in 6 months. 40:49 finish and I think it was a negative split. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jhudak55

DPS: 4th overall, nice job! What was your goal going in?

Marby: I’m going through the same process of purging old shoes and breaking out new pairs.

Mickey: Based on a sub 41 10k I’d say the fitness is coming back nicely.

My week:

65 miles

M: off

T: 10 miles easy (8:45)

W: 12 miles progressive (8:27)

T: 13 mile MLR (8:28)

F: off

S: 8 miles easy (8:49)

S: 22 miles long run (7:24) with 1-2-3-4 miles at marathon pace

I was very happy with today’s long run. Was planning to do 22 today progressive to MP+10%, but decided to change it up and get some marathon specific pace work. First rep was 6:51, 2 miles averaged 6:49, 3 miles averaged 6:47, 4 miles averaged 6:42. The last 4 mile rep was all downhill so that one was faster than expected.

Overall, I’m feeling really strong. All of the knee and lower leg issues have resolved and I’m feeling pretty confident. Three weeks out from Indy so this week will be slightly lighter and begin my taper!

I have all easy running scheduled other than a 2 miles at MP “dress rehearsal” Tuesday prior to the marathon. Any recommendations on a good workout to do about 10 days out? Pfitzinger calls for 3x1600 at 3-5k pace, I don’t want to do my first VO2 max workout in 8 months a week and a half out.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have all easy running scheduled other than a 2 miles at MP “dress rehearsal” Tuesday prior to the marathon. Any recommendations on a good workout to do about 10 days out? Pfitzinger calls for 3x1600 at 3-5k pace, I don’t want to do my first VO2 max workout in 8 months a week and a half out.

If you haven’t done any speedwork then maybe go with 1 mile easy - 2x4 miles @MP w/5min active recovery - 1 mile easy = 10 miles. (Brad Hudson style)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey all. I took 3rd. One of the people listed actually only ran the half marathon and started 30 min after we did.

The race.  The first 1.5 miles had 2 about 160 degree turns and some sharp up and downs.  It was mostly on a bike path that went up and over or down under city streets.  At about 1.5 miles through the walkers at the back of the 10k.  The bike path was maybe 8 feet wide so there was a lot weaving which made it a little hard to get rolling. I came through the 3rd mile in about 6th.  3-6 were a rolling uphill. I thought this would be a lot flatter than it was.

At mile 7 there was a sharp up down over a bike bridge and then the long uphill grind.  The long uphill was not as bad as I expected.  I was able to move up to 3rd and then hit the long (and only flat) straight section.  Then down the hill.  It was a steep short section, followed by very steep uphill and then longer down hill.  Tried to hold back on these as I realized the rest of the course was more hilly than expected and caught second place on the downhill.

We turned at the bottom of the hill to go through the half mark (about 1:20:30 give or take a bit).  There was a block long steep hill that gave me a pretty sharp input of lactic acid.  Headed out to the bike path again and this time we started running through the back of the half marathon pack.  It was really packed and hard to get through.  This is where I really struggled to stay in rhythm with having to break and accelerate to get around people.

Just before 15, 2 guys blew past moving really fast.  We got a break after 16 (half was up the giant hill) as we headed to the out and back section.  The trail was only narrow but no half marathoners on it.  The 2 guys continued to gap me the whole way out, but once we turned around we went down hill and I started to bring them back in.  We started up the second half of the big hill.

I started tracking down 3rd place and caught him once we hit the long flat section on the top of the hill.  I started wheeling in second place as well, and then we hit the uphill in the middle and I ground to a halt (7:40 pace) for about 200m as I had to get through a crowd and the uphill really put a hard shot of lactic in my legs, then we started the down hill again and I could see that 2nd place had just kept rolling through and had put a big gap into me.  Continued to weave a bit through the finish and finished faster than grandmas on the last mile or so.

Few things I learned....in prep for grandma's and just general strength, I'm going to start running my long run loop backwards so it is a long uphill most of it and a fast finish which is more similar to TC 10 and Grandma's finish.

I do better in a rhythm and am going to stick with more competitive medium to large races where you don't have things like running through slow packs of runners on the back of the pack.

I got to keep working on my mental side.  I struggled with getting angry in my head about going around people instead of focusing on pace and energy conservation.  I also got into a focus on place and not time.  I could of maybe gone a bit faster if i stopped looking for the guys ahead and just put my head down and grind.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nothing worse than reading a race report with no paragraphs.

But well done on 3rd place. 👍

CalBears

Nothing worse than reading a race report with no paragraphs.

When you are in America, you have to forget about finesse - forget what you get used to in a European culture. It's all about simplicity and cost here - and "fancy" means more cost. That's one of the cultural adjustments I have to get used to here Smile. Pretty sad that many people around the World still think about America as some magical place - it's actually a dump in some sense Sad.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Copy /paste email issue. Fixed it

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

When you are in America, you have to forget about finesse - forget what you get used to in a European culture. It's all about simplicity and cost here - and "fancy" means more cost. That's one of the cultural adjustments I have to get used to here Smile. Pretty sad that many people around the World still think about America as some magical place - it's actually a dump in some sense Sad.

I’ve never thought that and with Sleepy Joe in charge  - America is even less “magical”.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JHudak - My vote would be for something at HMP - maybe 2x3 miles?  I feel like you've done plenty at marathon and plenty of mileage, but not too much faster.  And it's good to get something just a bit faster than MP in.  I'll confess I haven't done a full review of your training, though, so perhaps I'm missing something.

DPS - Great race report (and great paragraph spacing).  That course honestly sounds like not that much fun, and like there are better marathon choices in the future.

Marby - interesting choice doing 500m repeats - don't think I've seen that one before Smile

Mikkey - congrats on ripping the racing bandaid off.  Negative splitting in your first one back is pretty slick Smile

Calbears - I think I missed congratulating you for Boston.  I know it wasn't what you wanted, but it is another one in the bag, with more experience and lessons learned.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.