2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

Maybe. I'd have to talk to the wife. The only one I can find is in Sac. Otherwise I don't know of anything longer than a 10k and THAT one is halloween. I think.

Hotel for CIM booked. $414. Probably the most expensive one night stay in Sacramento/Folsom I've ever done. Hopefully they actually clean the room between Friday and Saturday when I show up. Literally the only place near downtown I could find. Parking is extra.

Keen 97 miles....jeeze...when do you do anything else?

Hey, I actually have two hotel reservations for that date - the one I was going to cancel is "Best Western Plus Sutter House". It's very close to downtown (you can check), free breakfast  and free parking I think - you might check. Somewhere around $200, if I am not mistaken. If you want, I can leave it and you can use it. Probably they will ask for my CC, but we can figure it out. Let me know.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - do any of these work? I've never seen so many half marathons in one weekend https://www.laketahoemarathon.com/

Keen - you're definitely putting in the mileage for sub 3! Still a long way to go before your 10K though. We're in the same boat here with weather. Had to break out my first long sleeve on Sunday. I forgot how much I love running in the 50s. By far my favorite weather. It's hard with easy pace though as you said: mine has dropped 20 seconds per mile at least and I have to work hard not to let it creep even faster. Easy to get carried away in the fall!

Cal - I think if you get two more races like this, we're going straight to Chapter 7.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - I'm saving money on parking costs by leaving my car in Oklahoma and flying across the country...
        It's not so much "when do I do anything else" so much as "what am I not doing when I run". And the answer is largely "sleep". Something has to give!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I might have to look into it. I totally forgot about these, and the 99% downhill race might make me look super fast. AT the same time....I'm kind of content with a 6:45-6:50 pace goal on a good day.

Cal I'm at the Inn Off Capitol Park. Close enough to the finish line I can walk there with my head held low after being last place out of you, JMacCommanderKeen and I. Amazingly enough, being "last place" out of those four with a sub 3 would be a happy day for me. We can all party after unless you're heading home right after. I'm coming without the wife this year, so far, so I have no rush to return.

Keen If you need a ride I'll probably be in Sacramento late Saturday. Speaking of...I need to make dinner reservations soon if I want to eat within walking distance of the hotel at a reasonable hour.

CIM so what are people's plans? Sounds lie JMac and keen will be in town Friday, and I'm CURRENTLY open to whatever on Saturday. I have a 3pm scheduled Expo appointment. PREVIOUSLY, a local group would schedule a dinner to hang out and eat together. The group imploded quite embarrassingly due to COVID 19 making running the least important thing in their lives. I don't expect to have anyone with me so if y'all want to hang out before, or after the race I'm cool with it. I think a previous forum discussed brunch at a nearby place, and people would show up whenever. I'll totally bring beers for JMac to drink. I think 2 would put him down because of how dehydrated he gets on his long runs.  Cal....I'm not even going to TRY and get him drunk. Probably takes longer than his marathons.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Man, I'd love to be involved in this CIM meet up.  Can I request a video be taken after dark, once the beers have been flowing for a while?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Man, I'd love to be involved in this CIM meet up.  Can I request a video be taken after dark, once the beers have been flowing for a while?

It wouldn't need to be much later than lunch.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It wouldn't need to be much later than lunch.

Yeah Steve, the race stars at 7 am and my goal time is 9:XX for the first beer. I will be soundly asleep napping by the early afternoon . Now we just need to convince JT to join us - it looks like he is out there running in the real world again and CIM is way better than Houston.

RP - I'll be very low key pre-race, so I'll just be looking to meet up in the post race beer corral. I also hope I don't have to drink your beers, as that means I didn't PR since if I do, all the beers are on me 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah Steve, the race stars at 7 am and my goal time is 9:XX for the first beer. I will be soundly asleep napping by the early afternoon . Now we just need to convince JT to join us - it looks like he is out there running in the real world again and CIM is way better than Houston.

RP - I'll be very low key pre-race, so I'll just be looking to meet up in the post race beer corral. I also hope I don't have to drink your beers, as that means I didn't PR since if I do, all the beers are on me 

You can't buy what I'd be bringing. I might invite another runner to partake because she'd probably be mad if I told her I "just threw the rest of it away." Also, you can't force me to drink the beer you buy. Thankfully they don't sell Yuengling.

VDOT 53.37 

Marby

Ash

Marby - Nice week. Have I missed why you're keeping the carbs low? Hooray for new shoes!

I was keeping them lower than an already low base.
                    The driver for change came at this time last year when I was weighing in at 91kg/200lb and in really bad shape with gastrointestinal and respiratory symptoms.  I had a chest x-ray and based off that was diagnosed with COPD.  It turned out that was a misdiagnosis but for two weeks I googled, catastrophised and made some changes.  One of those was LCHF, which I didn’t think I would last long but started feeling better on it pretty quick. It was great to finally be freed from the blood sugar roller coaster.  Within 5 months I was down to 75kg/165lb and after 8 months had stopped all medications.
                    Since March I’ve been less strict and my weight stabilised, I generally take on strategic carbs in the lead up to a hard workout or race.
                    Before my goal marathon I was hoping to drop another 5-10lb.  To kickstart that I decided to do a longer fast.  It wasn’t strict – I was still having my 2 coffees with cream and 2 mugs of bone broth per day. Plus a bit of a cheat 3 days in (the MP long run was 3.5 days in).  Ended up getting to 5 days before breaking the ‘fast’, down around 2kg/5lb and it should stimulate even more enzyme production for fat metabolism.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow Marby that's an interesting background. Amazing that you were at 200 lbs and now have a serious shot at breaking 3 hours in the marathon just a year later.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I was keeping them lower than an already low base.
                        The driver for change came at this time last year when I was weighing in at 91kg/200lb and in really bad shape with gastrointestinal and respiratory symptoms.  I had a chest x-ray and based off that was diagnosed with COPD.  It turned out that was a misdiagnosis but for two weeks I googled, catastrophised and made some changes.  One of those was LCHF, which I didn’t think I would last long but started feeling better on it pretty quick. It was great to finally be freed from the blood sugar roller coaster.  Within 5 months I was down to 75kg/165lb and after 8 months had stopped all medications.
                        Since March I’ve been less strict and my weight stabilised, I generally take on strategic carbs in the lead up to a hard workout or race.
                        Before my goal marathon I was hoping to drop another 5-10lb.  To kickstart that I decided to do a longer fast.  It wasn’t strict – I was still having my 2 coffees with cream and 2 mugs of bone broth per day. Plus a bit of a cheat 3 days in (the MP long run was 3.5 days in).  Ended up getting to 5 days before breaking the ‘fast’, down around 2kg/5lb and it should stimulate even more enzyme production for fat metabolism.

Nice! Just for reference, how tall are you?

I noticed some similar benefits when I really cut out most carbohydrates as well. Being able to get to sleep easier and actually sleeping through the night for the first time in many years (as in half my life) were major benefits. Like you, I also use some strategic carbs ahead of hard workouts or races (I don't see a need for rocket fuel for an easy run). I've never done any fasting like that, though.

This morning I had what was easily my best workout in a long time. 10x 3 min on/off "between 10k and 5k effort" per my coach. I felt really good and was able to hit almost all at 5k effort - I  hammered #9 (an option also a suggestion by coach) and wasn't quite able to hold 5k effort for #10, but was stronger than 10k. I'm definitely happy with where my fitness is right now and am really looking forward to a couple tune-up races next month.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac and Keen You two are CRUSHING workouts right now. Upcoming races should go well for you two.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac and Keen You two are CRUSHING workouts right now. Upcoming races should go well for you two.

Thanks RP. I honestly feel good about the entire CIM group. Keen is up to his usual 100 mile weeks, you've shown exponential growth (and dedication recently), and I never worry about Cal breaking 3 at CIM. My training really ratcheted up about 3 weeks ago where I'm hitting good paces, not like in the late spring when the weather was still nice and I couldn't even run 3 miles at my marathon PR pace 

CalBears

Thanks RP. I honestly feel good about the entire CIM group. Keen is up to his usual 100 mile weeks, you've shown exponential growth (and dedication recently), and I never worry about Cal breaking 3 at CIM. My training really ratcheted up about 3 weeks ago where I'm hitting good paces, not like in the late spring when the weather was still nice and I couldn't even run 3 miles at my marathon PR pace 

Ha-ha JMac - thanks for the vote of confidence, but I, personally, now worried about my sub-3 chances at CIM. Though yes, if you don't jinx it, weather should be good and I will go for it. But yeah, seems like a great group of relatively fast people (relatively, after I checked London marathon results in 60-64 AG where some guy ran 2:30Tight lipped0

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

CIM is what I needed. "Marathon RP" as I call him doesn't tolerate much bullshit. He is also really positive and helpful in the right way. I wish he would show up at other times in my life, and he is part of what makes CIM, CIM.

Cal Good thing this isn't London. M60-64 at CIM 2019 was a 2:55 for first place. The Course record is a 2:41 and 10th place is a 2:54:35. You could get top 10 this year. Wouldn't THAT be something cool?

VDOT 53.37