2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

Cal Good thing this isn't London. M60-64 at CIM 2019 was a 2:55 for first place. The Course record is a 2:41 and 10th place is a 2:54:35. You could get top 10 this year. Wouldn't THAT be something cool?

Ha-ha RP! Already was done actually. I ran 2:48 in 2015 and took 3rd place in 50-54 AG . So, top 10 is certainly great, but 3rd still beats it 

Plus... I am a few years away from being 60 Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ha-ha RP! Already was done actually. I ran 2:48 in 2015 and took 3rd place in 50-54 AG . So, top 10 is certainly great, but 3rd still beats it 

Plus... I am a few years away from being 60 Smile

You're going to need to speed up then. Quit plaing with the slow pokes like me and go after JMac.

Amazingly, 8th place Male Top 10 Masters is local to me. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK....

Miguel Tibaduiza 2:23:20.Age 40.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The forecast for my half marathon is about as good as it gets: right around 50 during the race, sunny, winds around 5 mph. A no excuses type of day. The course itself is a bit boring, as 8 miles of the entire course is over a bridge (yes, it's a long bridge). I've run the Brooklyn Half a bunch and it has a similar boring profile for the last 6 miles. It can really drain you, but I'll try to just focus on the views of the bay. My hope is some other guys near my speed show up, at worst +/- 2 minutes.

I did try some strides today in the Next%2. Wow, they're completely different than the VF I've been using over the last 2.5 years. Feels like a different brand of shoe. Probably should have ran a workout in them, but didn't want to put 18 miles on them just to test them out. Oh well, guess I'll find out how they work Sunday!

As mentioned here are the goals:

A) 1:14:XX

B) 1:15:27

C) Sub-1:17

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck JMac.  I think the B goal is a lock given your current fitness which means the A goal is highly likely too since it's not a huge stretch.  That weather sounds like my happy place.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck Milkman!  Break a leg. 👍

Btw I had a game of golf with my cousin this afternoon at the course I used to be a member of when I got down to 7 handicap back in my youth!

https://www.malonegolfclub.co.uk   A spectacular course!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Steve!

Mikkey - thanks as well. I only found out recently that being a member in the UK is very different than here in the USA. Especially in the northeast, you need to be very wealthy to be a member. Most courses are 50k initiation fees alone, plus referrals from a few members. Sounds like in the UK it's much more low key for most clubs (except the really prestigious ones). The most ridiculous courses around here are more in the 250k range!

If I ever make it to the UK we will have to get a round in. I prefer links style though we may need to head to the coast or Scotland 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks Steve!

Mikkey - thanks as well. I only found out recently that being a member in the UK is very different than here in the USA. Especially in the northeast, you need to be very wealthy to be a member. Most courses are 50k initiation fees alone, plus referrals from a few members. Sounds like in the UK it's much more low key for most clubs (except the really prestigious ones). The most ridiculous courses around here are more in the 250k range!

If I ever make it to the UK we will have to get a round in. I prefer links style though we may need to head to the coast or Scotland 

Wow that’s a crazy amount of money to join a golf club!  I was also a member of my local club https://www.ebgc.co.uk  for a few years which had no joining fee and was about £700pa. It's more links style...but always ridiculously windy!  After a particularly bad round I decided to quit golf and take up running. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jhudak55

Good luck Jmac. Weather looks good for a PR!

Good luck tomorrow JMac! Your training has been fantastic and the weather looks good, so go for it!

Mikkey: Nice job on the 10k!

The weather is also looking good for the Valencia half tomorrow; I'm predicting a women's WR from Gidey.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck tomorrow JMac! Your training has been fantastic and the weather looks good, so go for it!

Mikkey: Nice job on the 10k!

The weather is also looking good for the Valencia half tomorrow; I'm predicting a women's WR from Gidey.

Thanks JT, I always appreciate your support and I’m glad things are looking good for you again. 👍

Talking of Valencia, can you put me down for sub 3:15 in December.  I know I know!  I’m being a complete wimp....but it’ll be a safe BQ for 2023 and then I’ll hopefully be back in sub3 shape again for Brighton next April. 👍

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also jumping in to wish Jmac good luck!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Hello, all! I'm not sub-3 but I'm running CIM - looks like there's lots of experience here on that - so I'm here to ask a simple transportation question: is it pretty simple/quick to take a bus/train from SFO up to Sacramento? I prefer non-stop flights, and there are lots of those from DC to SFO. And, I'm going to San Francisco after the race anyway. Thanks! --Christine

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hello, all! I'm not sub-3 but I'm running CIM - looks like there's lots of experience here on that - so I'm here to ask a simple transportation question: is it pretty simple/quick to take a bus/train from SFO up to Sacramento? I prefer non-stop flights, and there are lots of those from DC to SFO. And, I'm going to San Francisco after the race anyway. Thanks! --Christine

Hello!

I unfortunately can't give much guidance on the trip between SF and Sacramento, though perhaps CalBears can.  I think Julia1971 did something similar when she ran CIM, so perhaps she can chime in if she lurks.

What I can advise is that there are non-stops from BWI to Sacramento (or at least there were, pre-pandemic) - that's how I got to Sacramento when I ran CIM.  I would think that the trip from DC/Nova to BWI is shorter/easier than the trip from SFO to Sacramento.

And BWI has Chipotle in the food court, which makes it a personal favorite.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks, DW! If you don't mind sharing, how'd you get from NOVA (or DC) to BWI? Don't want to drive since I'll be returning to DCA (Arlington VA). OK to PM me. --Christine

CalBears

Hello!

I unfortunately can't give much guidance on the trip between SF and Sacramento, though perhaps CalBears can.  I think Julia1971 did something similar when she ran CIM, so perhaps she can chime in if she lurks.

What I can advise is that there are non-stops from BWI to Sacramento (or at least there were, pre-pandemic) - that's how I got to Sacramento when I ran CIM.  I would think that the trip from DC/Nova to BWI is shorter/easier than the trip from SFO to Sacramento.

And BWI has Chipotle in the food court, which makes it a personal favorite.

I do not think I would be a big help in this. I live here, in SF Bay area, but of course, I have cars, I've never had a problem to get from SFO, but only with a car. I googled and you can get from SFO to Sacramento by bus - takes more than 3 hours (by a car it will take only 1.5 hours). Pretty sure there is no train from SFO, I believe (again - googled it) , if you can get to Oakland, there is a train from there. Don't know much more details. I am not sure why not to rent a car - then you would not have any logistical problems. I believe Bay area is not very friendly re public transportation.

I checked also flights from BWI and DC to Sacramento - I do not see direct flights - and 1 stop flight will take you 9 hours.

Sorry I cannot be more help - I still consider myself pretty new here, but probably because I was trying to be as much independent here as possible Smile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile