2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

cinnamon girl

Marby - so you have a work schedule to do 9 holes on a Thursday morning? Nice! 

JT - 16 inches is a shit ton. How's the new treadmill? I suppose it's not like when you buy a new washer and dryer and they take the old one away? I just got my treadmill reassembled today and I'm expecting to use it fairly soon as dust storms are a thing here. Nice long run!

Ian - how is the PF after your 15 mi? I've dealt with PF - I guess probably everyone has.

OMR - jesus. lol

Keen - how do you structure your running? A plan - or just what you feel like?

39 miles all easy was my week. Took a second day off due to a lot of heavy lifting on Saturday and didn't run.

Ian5

JT-Nice work on getting the treadmill,we are getting one when we move,hopefully next month.

Darkwave-I struggle with altering the pace in a run,I'm generally fine at running whatever pace I set myself but can't seem to up and down it.

Cinnamon-It seemed ok yesterday,slight ache in the heel,yesterday was always going to be a rest,I have an appointment this morning so hopefully get out later.

The vaccine rollout seems to be going very well here,all the high risks should be done by this weekend so I'm hoping small races will get the go ahead soon.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cinnamon - I've kinda just been winging it so far. At the beginning of the year I worked on a blend of VO2Max stuff and ~10k effort trying to build a bit of speed back, but as of last week dropped the VO2 workouts in favor of Tempo/1 hour race effort work as I'm just a bit over a month out from a HM. I'm hoping to work with a coach this fall to target a marathon, but that's well down the road.

The cold front moved in early yesterday morning with a largely unexpected mist/drizzle that made all the roads super-hazardous. I made it .1mi into my run yesterday before almost falling and going back to the house for my nanospikes - no slipping at all after that. I have no issues using the spikes for easy runs, but did a workout on the treadmill this morning as I don't want to test how well they work for cornering at Tempo effort.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

The L8 is in my basement and I had my first run on it this morning; very smooth ride. My old one sounded like a jet taking off especially at higher speeds but this one is much quieter. Looking forward to doing a workout on it tomorrow.

OMR: I was going to complain about the cold temps here but seeing the conditions you have, it's warm here by comparison! -38 deg windchill?? Yikes!

DW: My previous mill was fold-up-able; it is nice to have that feature if/when you need to move it. This Landice one would be brutal to move (I read it weighs 435 lbs) but it is in its hopefully permanent location in the basement. Interesting workout you described; I've never done anything like that. Sounds tough!

Keen: Nice week and mileage as usual. My footpod is a Garmin model of some sort. Now with the new treadmill it nicely matches the pace on the mill, only a few seconds off per mile.

Cinnamon: Unfortunately they would not take the old treadmill (I asked). I had to take it apart to get it out of the basement and will probably just bring it piecewise to the recycling center. Dust storms? I've only seen (fake) ones in the movies; they look pretty bad and definitely not good to run in!

Ian: That's will be great if you get some races around you soon. I just got an e-mail that a 10k at the end of March I usually run has gone virtual.

Good news for the Cheap marathon. They posted the new course on the Windham/Derry rail trail in NH, and I found a few strava runs which cover it. It will not be nearly as flat as the Salisbury course, but not terrible. Probably ~500 ft of gain for the whole thing but in very gradual hills.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

49.9 miles for my week. 12 mile long run, and a day off. Didn't think I'd get it but apparently I did because I encouraged at least ONE person to stick with me and the other two guys I was running with. We were on my usual 7 mile loop so I pretty much knew exactly how close I'd be to my weekly goal. Eventually I'll add speed and some TRX work.

Keen We have a cold front coming this weekend. Perfect timing too. I have Monday and Tuesday scheduled as a rest day.

JR when is this Cheap Marathon? I think it's been a year since my last local race was even scheduled. Oddly, there are a lot of "indulgance" mile runs. beer, champage, donut, etc. so I might need a recovery week if I partake in the donut run.

Darkwave if you don't have a "top 10 marathons" list on your blog you need to start one. Seriously, you have so much information about races and the logistics planned out it should be documented for others (like first time marathoner me) to be able to review in 2035. I'm looking at articles written by online folks from 15+ years ago that haven't changed and are just as good today as they were when written.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The L8 is in my basement and I had my first run on it this morning; very smooth ride. My old one sounded like a jet taking off especially at higher speeds but this one is much quieter. Looking forward to doing a workout on it tomorrow.

Big congratulations on the arrival of your new treadmill!  Have you thought of a name yet?

Marby - I’ve never played golf during a marathon cycle, but 9 holes sounds like a good alternative to an easy/recovery run. I played quite a bit last year...but there was no tending the flag as we weren’t allowed to touch it and the bunker rakes were removed!

Ian - Yeah that’s been great news about the vaccine rollouts and fingers crossed that they’re still effective for the new variants. I got an email from Richmond Runfest Marathon this morning and it’s been predictably postponed to the 16th May which I’m pleased about. If the gyms open soon then I’m ready to go!

Weatherboy - Belated Congrats on that super impressive mile/5k double! A 5k sub 16 later this year wouldn’t surprise me as you seem indestructible!

Cinnamon - Glad to hear that you’re ok and running again. 👍  My heel is manageable as long as I keep up with the strength/stretch exercises. Goal race is London in October, but I’m also registered for Brighton which is 3 weeks earlier and am tempted to race it as I’ve only been a pacer previously. Valencia looks VERY tempting but will have see how things pan out this summer.

OMR - I cant even relate to those temps...anything below -3C and I’m at breaking point. I might have missed it but is there a reason why you have an elliptical rather than a treadmill? (I personally think they’re great crosstraining for running)

RP - I used to be a bit OCD about rounding up the mileage and would run past my house and do a U turn back. Then I realised that it was just ridiculous, so well done on your 49.9 week! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Mikey-I'm not surprised Richmond went,its a bit too soon,I have Boston uk on April then Milton Keynes in May,think both will be borderline.

When I'm running well my usual after work run is 8.8miles,I've managed 2 on the run so going well,will have an hour on the bike tomorrow to give it a rest.

JR when is this Cheap Marathon? I think it's been a year since my last local race was even scheduled. Oddly, there are a lot of "indulgance" mile runs. beer, champage, donut, etc. so I might need a recovery week if I partake in the donut run.

It's April 11th. I'd say you should sign up but they are restricting it to New England residents only. I learned from some dialog on the race FB page that New York is not part of New England (guess I should have known that ). But CT is included so I am in!

Mikkey: I'd say Big Bertha would be an appropriate name!  According to the specs it has a runner weight limit of 500 lbs (227 kg). If it can handle someone that heavy it's a good sign. I did a workout this morning of 5 x 1 mile repeats and it was almost dead on matching the treadmill pace to my Garmin (footpod) pace.

Running Problem

Problem Child

wow. Way to unite a country. "Based on where you live you're allowed in. Your COVID is different from their COVID. We pratically break bread together three times a day. I NEVER see those people." What a bunch of malarkey.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

wow. Way to unite a country. "Based on where you live you're allowed in. Your COVID is different from their COVID. We pratically break bread together three times a day. I NEVER see those people." What a bunch of malarkey.

This is a strange post; I assume you're referencing the Cheap marathon and will try to defend the race organizers a bit in response. They are trying to stage a race. Massachusetts, where the race is normally held, would not let it proceed in April. Thankfully, the race director took the initiative to find an alternative state which would allow the race (New Hampshire) and went to the effort to route a new course there. The restriction of participants to residents of NE states is coming from New Hampshire, and is not something the race director imposed. The Harrisburg marathon last November also restricted participants to states which were not on the hot zone list at that time. The way I see it, better to have some races with a few restrictions than none at all.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The way I see it, better to have some races with a few restrictions than none at all.

Agreed.  Everyone is trying to do the best in challenging times.

I did find it amusing that the Louisiana Marathon sent me an email blast advertising that their race would include attendees from Canada.   Huh? I thought the border was still closed for "non-essential" travel.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is a strange post; I assume you're referencing the Cheap marathon and will try to defend the race organizers a bit in response. They are trying to stage a race. Massachusetts, where the race is normally held, would not let it proceed in April. Thankfully, the race director took the initiative to find an alternative state which would allow the race (New Hampshire) and went to the effort to route a new course there. The restriction of participants to residents of NE states is coming from New Hampshire, and is not something the race director imposed. The Harrisburg marathon last November also restricted participants to states which were not on the hot zone list at that time. The way I see it, better to have some races with a few restrictions than none at all.

No defense needed and I'm only "blasting" the person who decided to limit participation based on location. I don't understand why you'd limit someone's participation in a public even based on their location when I'm allowed to travel to your state for vacation and do everything the locals do. I find it hilarious one state can have a marathon, while another says it's not possible and just the overall lack of consistency in what I can and can't do while COVID 19 is still a pandemic affecting the whole country/world. You're having a marathon, and my local running store just asked if we'd like to make two starting times (to reduce group sizes) because of COVID 19. I guess East Coas COVID 19 is different than West Coast COVID 19. My state won't even allow a gathering of 50 people unless it's church and everything is limited to 25% capacity. How many people are going to do this marathon? 200? 2,000? Face coverings aren't required in the starting zone, while running, warming up, or cooling down. Impressive. You even have aid stations and here I am thinking COVID 19 can be spread by surfaces which is why my DMV took all chairs out and you have to stand around. Hopefully there aren't many participants since the 5 second rule might take a while to get everyone off ifi they have 2,000 participants (166 minutes). Good to see the course will be certified after everyone runs it. Tell me again how dangerous this COVID 19 thing is and how important it is we slow the spread by limiting our non-essential whatchamacallit?

dwave It's amusing to me what is "essential" ever since June of 2020. My running buddy (BIG democrat) who told me we needed lockdowns so his 80+ year old parents didn't get COVID 19 (including from the grocery store) just drove 3+ hours to go sailing. I laughed as I poked him on it saying "yeah so California's Governor says not to travel 120 miles from home, and Nevada's Governor is saying to stay home and such, but you're going sailing." He retored with saying he "didn't give an eff" about what the Governor says because "who am I going to give COVID 19 to riding in the car with the ONE guy I'm going sailing with?" I refrained from saying "yeah that same mentality is why it keeps spreading." I don't see a point of limiting travel. My sister in law is here for a week from 2 time zones away. I could fly to your area and probably have lunch with you at a restaurant (unsure what COVID 19 requirements are there) and be compliant with the rules. So why can't I run a race? You never know where the people you see running on the streets were 24 hours ago. Might have just landed from England and want to go for a long run.

VDOT 53.37 

Ian5

RP-Slight issue in that people from England aren't currently allowed in the US,but if they were ot shouldn't be a problem is the vaccination rate is far higher than the US and the gap is increasing.

As for racing,I'd be pretty happy with any restrictions,except wearing a mask racing,if if means races get going again.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP-Slight issue in that people from England aren't currently allowed in the US,but if they were ot shouldn't be a problem is the vaccination rate is far higher than the US and the gap is increasing.

As for racing,I'd be pretty happy with any restrictions,except wearing a mask racing,if if means races get going again.

Ummmmm........

https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/

Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel regardless of where they are traveling from. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.

you were saying? Vaccination rate in my state is almost to 10% and there is a major problem. The Governor said it was for front line workers and those above 70 years old. Turns out no one is enforcing those guidelines and it sounds like anyone who wants it can get it.

EDIT: oh yeah

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-travel-restrictions.html

I’m a U.S. Citizen. Where in the World Can I Go?

For Americans eager to resume international travel, here are the countries that currently allow U.S. citizens to enter, though there may be restrictions.

Anyone planning an international trip will need to factor in the logistics and expense for a mandatory Covid-19 test that is now required for international travelers to board a flight to the United States — and that includes returning Americans. Even with that requirement, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is continuing to ask people not to travel, and if they do, to get additional testing after they return.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Looks like the Biden Travel Ban is coming.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article249154715.html

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/florida-travel-ban-coronavirus-restrictions-president-biden/67-3e2b0cf2-b933-48b4-af8a-db57c9bc099d

also you were right, and I'm not sure why I'm finding mixed info on this.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 212(f) and 215(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f) and 1185(a), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code, hereby find that the unrestricted entry into the United States of persons described in section 1 of this proclamation would, except as provided for in section 2 of this proclamation, be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and that their entry should be subject to certain restrictions, limitations, and exceptions.  I therefore hereby proclaim the following:

Section 1.  Suspension and Limitation on Entry.  (a)  The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, and the Federative Republic of Brazil during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

VDOT 53.37 

cinnamon girl

Keen: sounds good - do you have a coach in mind? I don't know much about your past training (+ coaching?) but from the little window I'm seeing - you're going to make great gains come Fall.

JT: it sounds like you have made a quality purchase!

Mikkey: are you saying you would consider Valencia? Anyways - get running and posting your weeks. I'm going to be on your ass because time is moving fast.