2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Milkman - Great RR and don’t worry about that second as you’ll go faster next time. 👍

Cal - Are you running a downhill marathon next week?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal - Are you running a downhill marathon next week?

Nope. I am running Mt Diablo next week - up and down, just like yesterday Smile. I want to make my quads stronger - should help in both, uphill and downhill sections. I should make that sooner than now - I had very sore quads during and after Santa Rosa marathon.

Cal: How much do you plan to up the mileage going into CIM?

I have already ran two marathons in last few weeks. I think upping mileage at this point pre-CIM would not do any good. My plan is somehow to continue doing some workouts but ease on the mileage at the same time giving my legs and body an opportunity for some recovery. Maybe I am wrong. But I will try (though I was not successful so far). My plan after CIM to slow down on marathons and doing 12 weeks cycle (or trying to get there at least).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

OMR

OMR - Hi! Please take care of your injuries and get back here - I need some moral support from my geriatric friends (Mikkey doesn't show up very often) Smile

Hahaha!  Yes, if I can offer you some “old man” support, I’ll do my best.  I did start running again yesterday…just 20 minutes, but it’s a start.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hahaha!  Yes, if I can offer you some “old man” support, I’ll do my best.  I did start running again yesterday…just 20 minutes, but it’s a start.

That’s great to hear...now I need to know how my old buddy rovatti is doing?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guys! That veteran who let me use the toilet really did save me. I don't know what it's like where you guys race, but the only race I've ever done that had enough toilets was CIM. Every other race is either short or woefully short (like this one) of toilets. It's probably my biggest complaint about races in general. I've run some races where I get in line 45 minutes before the gun and still barely make it in time. That's not right.

Left hamstring definitely has a very minor "tear" in it. No strides the next 2 days, and using a lot of heat. No pain when running recovery pace yesterday though, so that's a good sign that it can recover if I manage it right. My next big workout isn't until Wednesday when I have a V02 max planned, so there's a good 10 days of recovery.

Marby - I can't believe you found the tracking for it, thank you!

DW - this is like a Dr. House situation with you, sorry.

Cal - I randomly checked the Sacramento weather a few days ago. WOW. That was a hell of a storm that came through, and on a Sunday, no more of those please . That's the CIM lottery for you: 90% great, 10% epic storm. Those big mountain runs look really rough. I definitely do think 3 marathons in a short time frame is a lot, even for you. Still have some time before CIM, get a good 4 weeks of training in and the sub 3 is possible.

Mikkey - the pressure to deliver is bigger with your new nickname (which I've adopted because it's great), but I'm glad I came through this weekend 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cal - Thanks, and I am signed up for Tucson as well. It's much smaller and more downhill than I'd like, but if the forecast looks like absolute garbage for CIM and good for Tucson I won't hesitate to pull the eject handle on CIM.

JMac - Races around here typically have lots of port-o-johns for the number of entrants. The marathons all of the Oklahoma and Texas marathons I've done usually have them spread across different areas as well, so sometimes it's well possible to find a bank of them with little to no line even just before corrals close.

OMR - Glad that you've started running again!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I'm the guy looking at you saying "how is he so fast" while also saying "the 8 year old girl should have moved out of your way." Great job on the race. I agree with Cal. A 1:15:00 looks WAY better than a 1:45:59. The only place a :59 belongs is when you're working for the BQ and get it. What I find impressive is how calm, cool, and collected you seem to be with your race logic. It's practically meditative compared to the way I think during a race.

As for bathrooms.....I'm going to tell you to volunteer and get more active in the planning of races. Speak of the legand that is CIM bathrooms and tell races "Take how many bathrooms you rent, and double it. This still isn't enough."

Keen it's one workout. Take all the stuff you told me and apply it to yourself.

Me

definitely a low week. Friday my son's daycare called. He has hand, foot and mouth disease so he has to come home. An hour after I dropped him off. Rained all weekend, and my wife was gone, so no possibility I'm pushing a 42 pound kid in a stroller in a rain storm for 2 hours, or even one. Thursday's workout I bailed on. I wanted to get 9, thought the plan was 8 (it wasn't. It was literally 9 and I didn't check) and bailed at 7. There was a headwind for a few miles, and I think it sucked the life out of me. When I started seeing 7:30ish pace I pulled the plug. I told myself "I'm not gaining anything running a 7:30 mile on a marathon paced run." Perhaps if it was a threshold run, but really what I learned is a 10 mph headwind doesn't allow me to run 6:50/mi pace solo. Perhaps in a pack where people can rotate who pushes. Long run was canceled due to not really having anyone to watch my son, and the weather. I probably SHOULD have gone for a run just for the mental aspect. I have the rain gear, and it was not a heavy down pour. Just non stop for about 30 hours. We had about 3 inches according to my weather station.

3x2 mile went well though....like "scary" well. I was dreaming of a 6:45/mi paced marathon after this workout, then thursday happened and put my right back into my place. Train where you're at. Not where you want to be.

Also, I am currently putting more thought into taking time away from marathon training in 2022. I'm expecting (hoping/wishing) to get into Boston for 2022. IDEALLY I'll have another sub 3 at CIM so I'll feel confident applying for Boston 2023. Current "goal" (dream) would be run 2022, and 2023 with 2022 being a Saturday - Tuesday trip, and 2023 being a husband and wife trip where I can spend some more time there. I'd love to be someone who was fast enough at the marathon to get a BQ whenever I wanted to run Boston. Honestly, the passion to stay competitive is going away. I enjoy the races very much. I enjoy the training very much. I just kind of don't enjoy making four months of my life center around 3 hours one weekend. Maybe I can do half marathons and keep up the distance. I just see the marathon as something I have to respect very much in order to do as well as I want to, and I'm not going to respect it moving forward. It's going to be 2017 all over again.

EDIT: An upside to the days off I took was my right knee started feeling better. Sunday I was running downhill a lot bit too fast (7:20/mi) and probably over strided a lot until I forced myself to calm down (dad called me) and control the pace more. It would bother me when walking around, but oddly not running fast.

ch17 if you need a ride to CIM, and fly into Reno, instead of SF/OAK I could offer a ride over the hill. I think it's about 3 hours, and I'm staying downtown. My appointment to the expo is the last one of the day, and I'm going to almost guarantee you the flights to Reno from DC aren't great.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

darkwave Interesting information about using the nerves while diagnosing the problem. I hope it gets figured out because you're one of the most impressive racers I've seen, and the training you do is next level in my book. I also fully respect your decision to pull out of the elite field for the exact reason you did. Another female is going to be so excited to be offered a spot, and keep the field competitive.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

...now I need to know how my old buddy rovatti is doing?

Did someone say OLD?  I'm getting set for my 60th b'day party in a couple weeks.  A bunch of friends are coming over for margaritas and tamales - my wife got some green chilis flown in from New Mexico (where I grew up)!!!

Hey to everybody!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Did someone say OLD?  I'm getting set for my 60th b'day party in a couple weeks.  A bunch of friends are coming over for margaritas and tamales - my wife got some green chilis flown in from New Mexico (where I grew up)!!!

Hey to everybody!

I remember one of my aunts saying to me that when you hit 50, the years just fly by so quickly!  It sounds like you’ve got a great party lined up. Enjoy! 👍

darkwave - I hope you get back on track again and figure out the problem. And +1 to what RP said as you are one of the most impressive (and intelligent) runners on this forum. 👍

JMac: Well written race report, and congrats again on the PR! I'm sure you'll be under 75 next time around. I must say that your goal of only 2:35Tight lippedx for CIM is a bit on the sandbagging side IMHO. I think you do better as the distance gets longer, plus you are going into CIM this year familiar with the course. I think sub 2:34 is a lock if the weather is good, and sub 2:33 is likely.

Darkwave: I really hope you can get this figured out, sorry to hear the issues are continuing.

OMR: Great to hear you are back running! Thanks for asking about the foot/ankle; that's pretty much 100% now. It's funny: the things that relieved the pain most for the tendon injury (walking barefoot and running uphill) are the same things that make the metatarsalgia flare up, and I am dealing with that a bit now but relative to the EHL tendonitis, it's just a minor annoyance.

CK: Awesome weeks by you lately; can't wait to see what you put down at CIM!

RP: Great training by you as well; and don't worry about skipping a run here and there due to the weather. Did that myself on Tuesday when it was pouring rain. Don't give up the fight for the sub 3 and PR at CIM.

Cal: I get worried when I see you doing those Mt. Diablo runs but I know you know what you're doing. I'd be wrecked after descending that!

Mikkey: Good nickname for JMac. It reminds me of "The Mailman", Karl Malone's nickname, which I think was given for the same reason (he delivered, especially when he got the ball down in the paint). Oh how I loved watching Jordan and the Bulls destroy the Jazz in the 90s. 

jhudak: Great to see you are back at it and starting the taper!

Sorry I've been absent here; when the running isn't going great the motivation to post is much lesser. Things are much better for the tendinitis. My last 4 weeks have been 13, 14, 30 and 60 miles. Just easy running now, trying to get my mojo back; things aren't quite clicking like they were pre-injury. Annoyingly, I got bit by a dog (little Westie) last week in my right ankle, and I think somehow in compensating in the following days I strained that calf a bit, which is lingering. More in the annoying category and not preventing me from running, so that's good.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I'm glad my bat signal to you worked. I understand the lack of motivation: I barely post here when I'm not in full training and hard to keep up with everyone else. I've been very happy to see you're return to more normal running though. You'll be back to workouts by next week, even with your dog injury. Worst part of Houston is you are peaking when everyone else is taking time off and recovering. I'll try to stick around to root you on!

With regards to CIM, you did exactly predict my time last year, but 2:32 is not happening . I can't run a half in 1:15 and then go run 2:32! On a perfect course with full taper, maybe I run a half in 1:14:00. That still puts me at a 2:34. I did run a 14M workout last year in exactly the pace I ran at CIM. I have that workout again next weekend. It should be the perfect predictor with my half to see where I'm at.

RP - I always feel that way about weekends and marathon running when I'm doing it. The thrill of seeing your times dropping quickly though puts that to bed. But you need mental breaks. I am always shocked at people like JT who can run marathons non-stop: requires significant mental fortitude that my lazy ass does not have.

And yes: train where you're at. My training recently was at all at half marathon time of 1:16:30 equivalent. I still ran a 1:15:00. It always works out that way but never in reverse.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

well based on today I'm either AT  SUB 3 shape, or I'm just barely hanging on to it. Today was definiatly hard and I'm HOPING it has more to do with heat and humidity than physical fitness. The 3x2 mile wasn't anywhere near as hard as today. Today required pushing through the desire to quit and the only thing pushing me though THAT was knowing CIM is so close and I can't just bail on everything every time it gets excruciatingly hard.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Mikkey/Keen:  Thanks.  Keen, that's some impressive mileage you are posting lately.

rovatti:  Hi, and since you don't post here too often, I'll wish you a happy 60th now!  I didn't realize you were THAT old, hahaha.

JT:  Glad to hear the foot/ankle issue seems to be resolved, and good for you for getting back up to 60mpw so quickly.  Sorry to hear about the dog bite; I got bit by one a few years ago (large dog, on my hip), and now whenever I see one, I change directions or cross the street if possible.  I just don't trust owners to be able to handle their animals.

RP:  Sorry to hear about the low week, and I get the lack of motivation.  With winter approaching, masks required in public spaces on campus (meaning wearing a mask while on the treadmill), and having to restart, I'm finding it difficult.  But I'm curious to see how you do at CIM; I think you may be in better shape than you think.

Running Problem

Problem Child

OMR I was thinking about dog owners on my run today and how annoying it is when they tell me how friendly their dog is right after I’ve heard them calling the dog while waving the leash around. At least the ones I passed today were more occupied with smelling grass than approaching me.

VDOT 53.37