2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - The ethanol messes with seals, etc. and tanks gas mileage. I avoid it whenever possible, which is especially difficult when travelling in Texas. Most gas stations here have 100% gas, even if they do offer an ethanol blend.
    My car is a flex fuel / 85% ethanol capable one. Even its manual says not to run that "gas" exclusively due to damage to the engine.

Regarding "trips to inland wastelands" - how did you feel about your drive to CO?? Even for someone like me who's from a place that's hours from the nearest major city, there's a whole lot of nothing in the area you went through, even if it isn't desert.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marby Didn't Australia also name a pool after an elected official who drowned? Oh and our low grade petrol is 87 octane (85 in some places) and our premium octane is 91. I remember when it was 92 or 93 and the country reduced it to "save" petrol by being able to make more of the other stuff. Stupid.

Cal yeah I saw the pacer groups. Some of them are REALLY fast. Adam paced the sub 3 group last year. I believe he holds the TRT supported record too. Not sure what you mean by current and 2019 training. 2019 I was doing 70 mile weeks. The only interruption I think I've had so far was missing a long run due to my wife being out of town. Weekly mileage goal is the same as it was back then, and I THINK I'm doing longer training runs just because I'm training at home. Yes having run a sub 3 can be and advantage, and it can also be a disadvantage. Comparing 2021 to 2019 can sometimes be bad because "I'm not where I was" syndrome.

Your 3x2 mile workout at 6:15 is WAY faster than me doing it at 6:35. You're running it at my 10k pace. I'm not sure I could go that hard for a marathon workout.

Nice workout this morning too.

JMac 10 day taper....possibly closer to 2 weeks if I don't do a Thanksgiving day 10k/workout. I see no need to go for another 10k PR mostly because I suspect the course being used will be 6.10 miles long. Sunday's pacing was the same organization, and they either GPS mapped it, or didn't because it was measuring 6.10 miles on almost every GPS watch, and it was completely possible for them to make it 6.23 miles. 70% ethanol is like E85. GM called it "flex fuel" back in the 2000s and it costs less, but the mileage you get is worse. It can also ruin fuel filters, so overall you're paying the same, or more, but spread out over a longer time. Everyone just needs to drive a diesel. Like me.

I'm still not fully confident in sub 3, and I need to keep telling myself "today isn't race day. Race day is race day. Be in race day shape on race day." The rest is "CIM magic."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I'm a bit confused, so do you run it with ethanol blends or not?

I actually really enjoy driving. I imagine a lot of that is because I've never had to drive to/from work. The hardest thing though is that I do get very sleepy while driving, so I was drinking about 4 large coffees a day to get through those drives. Listened to a good book though on Churchill during the bombing of London.

The only really bad part of the drive was Fort Morgan. I stopped there both there and back, and the town smelled absolutely horrible. Turns out it's due to some sugar beet processing plant. One of those moments I was happy we were still in the pandemic and wearing N95 masks, but I couldn't take that mask off without gagging.

Western Sugar fined $2 million for foul-smelling Fort Morgan plant

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - 100% gas for me, even though my vehicle will run on up to 85% ethanol. "Real" gas doesn't cause as much wear on the engine and related parts and I get better gas mileage out of it.

Upcoming Races:

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oooh, this'll be good!

The BAA is requiring a covid vaccination for 2022.

Upcoming Races:

CalBears

Oooh, this'll be good!

The BAA is requiring a covid vaccination for 2022.

I guess RP doesn't need to run marathons anymore Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I guess RP doesn't need to run marathons anymore Smile

We're all not meeting up until Boston 2023. By then the Omega variant will have killed us all.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

We're all not meeting up until Boston 2023. By then the Omega variant will have killed us all.

I hope Mikkey is still alive by then - I need to stop those speculations re who is faster and better looking.

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac Reno has 0% ethanol gas. It's called "ethanol Free" and is a blue handle. It's about $0.30/gallon more. I run it in yard equipment. It is supposed to be less harmful to the fuel likes. Anyone who has stored a weedeater/lawnmower over winter with gas, then tried to start it the next spring to a point of frustration would understand.

Oh and I was fortunate to drive past a sulfur plant twice a day in high school for about 2 years. Thankfully I enjoy eggs.

wait....we're going to make it out of 2022?

WAIT....THEY'RE REQUIRING A VACCINATION FOR BOSTON 2022!?!!??!?!?! FUCKING WHAT THE FUCK?!?!??!?!?!!?? I could fly there, go to baseball games and bars, spit in someones face and yet I can't run a fucking 26 mile race unless I show them I got my cootie shot?

*looks at not so fine print* 30,000 participants. Yeah doesn't look like I'll be running Boston 2022. If the cutoff is less than 6 minutes I'm honestly going to be shocked.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I hope Mikkey is still alive by then - I need to stop those speculations re who is faster and better looking.

Hi there! 👍

Vaccination proof to run Boston now?  Maybe we’ll need to race some place else if that’s still the case in 2023 as I’m never going to be into that BS.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hi there! 👍

Vaccination proof to run Boston now?  Maybe we’ll need to race some place else if that’s still the case in 2023 as I’m never going to be into that BS.

Tucson, Arizona would be an excellent location. Downhill course in early December with no vaccination requirements (as of this moment). It's probably as "fair" of a race as possible for you two.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Tucson, Arizona would be an excellent location. Downhill course in early December with no vaccination requirements (as of this moment). It's probably as "fair" of a race as possible for you two.

Comparing to Tucson elevation profile CIM looks like a Spartan course Smile. That would be too easy for Mikkey - he would PR even if he runs backwards. What about a little bit different course - QuickSilver 100K in May in San Jose, 13,500 ft of elevation gain, nice sunny weather, bunch of new experiences and emotions, guaranteed dead quads but dinner after the race, no vaccination requirements 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Why not Houston?  It's a great race and a bit more centrally located.  There might be some direct flights from the UK to Houston.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Why not Houston?  It's a great race and a bit more centrally located.  There might be some direct flights from the UK to Houston.

Too much concrete surface...

Running Problem

Problem Child

Also Texas sucks. 

VDOT 53.37