2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yes, I’m a good rich samaritan and will give £200 to RP if he beats you. 👍

I am so happy my adopted father has a nice inheritance waiting for me 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am so happy my adopted father has a nice inheritance waiting for me 

I actually had a meeting with my solicitor last week about my will!

Don't worry son, you’re going to be looked after when I pop my clogs. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

One of my favorite posts of all time. I swear to you I think about you every time in NYC when I'm about to run across the street with a light and some biker runs the red light and then yells at ME for getting in their way. It gets worse every year because now it's all electric bikes and mopeds trying to weave through pedestrians in the crosswalk going 25 MPH.

That was so freakin' funny in and of itself, but towards a person who thinks internal combustion engines are evil and that bikes are Gaia's gift to humanity just make it so much better.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CalBears

Cal She isn't nice to you anymore? weird. I think I offended her too much when I said I'd throw a stick into bike spokes. She apparently follows me on Strava, and I stopped following her when she ignored comments/questions I'd ask her. Unsure how she's doing now. I think she signed up for CIM, however I've no idea her training as no strava and no posting. Either way, I hope you and I can work together for another sub 3. I'm starting to feel better about it, so this means tomorrow will be miserable.

Almost exactly my story with her. I think I wrote couple of critical lines about how her training is not in sync with her race results. A little bit later, I think, I told her on Strava, after she PR-ed (I think at CIM?) that her training was pointing out to something 10 minutes faster.  She deleted my post because it way off from all the shmoozing posts there. After that I said, ok, what is the point to have a link between people if you do not communicate, I would be again distracted when I saw her runs and write something, then she would be upset and I just cannot write a BS just to be nice. So, I unfollowed her, but, of course, I know she is extremely nice - so, let he be happier without my comments Smile

RP - I think, there is no way I could run as a Team (unless I am pacing or running for fun) - I am planning to run by feel and following others would just be a distraction, in my experience.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

One of my favorite posts of all time. I swear to you I think about you every time in NYC when I'm about to run across the street with a light and some biker runs the red light and then yells at ME for getting in their way. It gets worse every year because now it's all electric bikes and mopeds trying to weave through pedestrians in the crosswalk going 25 MPH.

That was so freakin' funny in and of itself, but towards a person who thinks internal combustion engines are evil and that bikes are Gaia's gift to humanity just make it so much better.

This was all pre-"mysteriously missing thread about airborne virus." I'm confident someone could pull up the exact quote if we weren't all so busy discussing marathon training while marathon training.

EDIT:

Cal I'll split the winnings with you. Sandbag it when I start to struggle before the bridge. Just enough you can be seen behind me in the photos, then come back and help me to a sub 3. I'm going to be deep in the pain cave, or somehow feeling the magic of CIM at that point.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

EDIT:

Cal I'll split the winnings with you. Sandbag it when I start to struggle before the bridge. Just enough you can be seen behind me in the photos, then come back and help me to a sub 3. I'm going to be deep in the pain cave, or somehow feeling the magic of CIM at that point.

I honestly do not know what I am going to target for. Tell you the truth, for Santa Rosa all I wanted is to run sub 3 - didn't happen, but only 14 seconds over 3. In Boston I told to Struggler that anything slower than 6:35 pace would be a failure and look what happened - 7:01 pace at the finish. So, I am still struggling - I think deciding on getting sub 3 would be very good and productive, but I honestly want more and going for more might get me actually have less at the end, but probably that's ok - I had enough sub 3 races in my life, so, maybe still going for more? Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I honestly do not know what I am going to target for. Tell you the truth, for Santa Rosa all I wanted is to run sub 3 - didn't happen, but only 14 seconds over 3. In Boston I told to Struggler that anything slower than 6:35 pace would be a failure and look what happened - 7:01 pace at the finish. So, I am still struggling - I think deciding on getting sub 3 would be very good and productive, but I honestly want more and going for more might get me actually have less at the end, but probably that's ok - I had enough sub 3 races in my life, so, maybe still going for more? Smile

A 2:54 is possible. You seem to be amazingly fast in your workouts. Plus you're getting some really strong miles in with that Mt. Diablo run last weekend.

After more data analysis it appears over the past 3 weeks, when I started doing 6:50/mi pace for marathon pace, my average heart rate has always been 170, or higher. Almost as if 6:50/mi commands this high of a heart rate from me. The only thing I can think of blaming, other than my lack of athletic ability, is mostly likely NOT the cause. I'm sure a cleaner diet would be better.

I'm putting off 9M until Friday. It will be 40s with a light breeze. Tomorrow is 13+ mph winds so it's going to ruin any shot I have at building more confidence, and properly executing a workout with the goal being to hit the paces. I made it through Thursday. I was smoked/gassed when the workout was over, and if that's how CIM ends with a 6:50/mi pace I'm going to be very accepting, and happy. Another race simulation, and I'll get my Maurten gels so I can PROPERLY execute the race paced training run. I'd love for a sub 3 to be easy, and it just humbles me every time I go for it. Maybe when I'm older like my running buddies I can BQ-10+ with ease. Right now I just want another BQ-5 for 2023 so I can run Boston twice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I know you fairly successfully came back from injury. Anything else you'd recommend off the list I provided a few posts ago?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - you're still running in Zoom Flys? You gotta bite the bullet and get the Next%2. That alone may get you another minute closer.

I bit the bullet. Nike has a 20% of for MEMBERS (code) on the white and pink versions. Size 10.5 Vaporfly Next% 2 will be here next week. $221.94 USD. I don't know what I was waiting for, and I don't think the local running store would give me $50 off if I told them I'd come back next week. I wanted the orange/yellow ones because "orange makes you faster" so I'll have to make this up elsewhere on race day.

VDOT 53.37 

JT - I know you fairly successfully came back from injury. Anything else you'd recommend off the list I provided a few posts ago?

I've found some success with Tim Noakes's concept of cross-frictional massage, for both muscle and tendon injuries. You can do it yourself or have someone else do it; the key is to go across the tendon or muscle and not lengthwise, and really apply pressure. If it's done right it really hurts badly while it's being done, but there is noticeable relief afterwards. When I had the horrible hip flexor injury after my 2019 marathon, that helped. The other thing that helped was doing some simple balance exercises. The main one is just standing on one leg with the other leg raised, bent 90 deg at the knee, and holding the pose; I started at a minute and built up to 4 minutes, doing each leg for 2-3 sets. That and doing simple legs lifts (lying on your back, hands under your butt, 3 sets of 30) really made the difference for that injury. It sorta sounds like you have something similar so maybe these will help but "hip flexor" can mean a lot of different things. Anyway, I hope it's just the obligatory pre-race injury scare for you!  You at least have a decent amount of time till the race and looks like you caught it early and are addressing it in a smart way.

2:52:16 (2018)

Marby

Ash

My question for the Aussie's: what percentage of people ever travel inland? I realize it's a complete wasteland, but is it a journey Australians feel they must make once in their life, or does nobody care?

Macca:  Although on the bucket list of most it’s probably not that many that actually do it, I suspect. They aren’t easy or very family friendly trips to do self-guided. Flying in and guided tours are expensive. There is a sense that exploring inland can wait, many young Aussies prefer to head abroad for extended periods (if you are going all that way, why not hang for while). Families are more likely to seek a beach in Queensland/Indonesia/Thailand/Fiji.

I hope that 3-5 day thing sticks to the timeline.

Marby Didn't Australia also name a pool after an elected official who drowned?

RP: Not just any elected official, he was Prime Minister.  Maybe drowned, assassinated, or taken by a Chinese submarine, who knows (no body ever found)?  We might name one of the new subs we are buying after him as well, or the Macron after our Gallic friends.

I reckon sub 3 mara pace feels hard because you aren’t in that shape yet. Sorry, 39:40 is generous for that 10k, I give it 40:00 (take 0.1 from your 9.83k for GPS error gives your 4min per k exactly and I’m also assuming that you could have continued same pace to the full distance) And that was in a race in excellent conditions.  Converts to a 3:07 something in McMillan, rather than the 3:02:30 that you get using 39:40 and Daniels.  Then it just takes a bit of an off day – weather/diet/sleep/stress/etc/etc – that’ll turn an attempt to run that workout into suck.  I still think you are on a steep improve and have time/taper/altitude/next%/fast course that means sub 3 is a realistic goal for your race.  As long as you wear an orange/yellow shirt.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

jhudak55

Got an easy 4 mile shake out in this morning and now I’m on my way to Indy. Legs feel great, it seems all of the niggles have subsided. For anyone interested in tracking there is an app (CNO Monumental Marathon), but for whatever reason my phone won’t copy the link. I’m not sure what splits they’ll have. 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marby - I'm not superstitious at all, but I'm also not sure I'd want to man a submarine named after someone who drowned.

JHud - Glad to hear all systems are GO and best of luck this weekend!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck Jhud! Looks like pretty ideal weather to me. Sunny, 0 wind, starting around 30 and ending at 43 as you're crossing the line in 2:5X!

Marby - makes sense on priorities. It feels like something I would have loved doing either right after college, or maybe after doing a bunch of exploring in my 20s and do it more in my late 20s early 30s. Have you been?

JT - I have a PureWave massage (similar to a theragun) that I've been using. I looked up cross friction massage with it, very similar to what I'm doing. Might as well make the machine work for me, it's so hard with your fingers!

My injury still hurts. I tried to jog a couple of blocks yesterday. Still painful, but a little better than the run where I cut short. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those injuries where I just need to go for it at some point based on pain level getting down to a 1 or 2. If it comes back full force, then CIM is done. Looking at timing, my guess is that I need to start running again by early next week in order to make CIM work. I'm not going to fly cross country and spend all this money unless I think I can PR given the shape I am (was?) in.

Probably will try to jog today, but will shut down immediately if it's bad. I will only push through it starting early next week.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My injury still hurts. I tried to jog a couple of blocks yesterday. Still painful, but a little better than the run where I cut short. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those injuries where I just need to go for it at some point based on pain level getting down to a 1 or 2. If it comes back full force, then CIM is done. Looking at timing, my guess is that I need to start running again by early next week in order to make CIM work. I'm not going to fly cross country and spend all this money unless I think I can PR given the shape I am (was?) in.

Probably will try to jog today, but will shut down immediately if it's bad. I will only push through it starting early next week.

Damn that sucks! I wouldn’t panic just yet...even if you have 7/10 days off. Is there any cardio you can do in the meantime that doesn’t aggravate it? The only time I ever get soreness in that area is when I start doing squats after a lay-off. I don’t know if you do any strength work, but I’m guessing that squats/single leg squats/core work in your routine next cycle will help keep the niggles away.

jhud - Your training has been very impressive and I’m sure you’ll have a great race. Enjoy!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)