2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My injury still hurts. I tried to jog a couple of blocks yesterday. Still painful, but a little better than the run where I cut short. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those injuries where I just need to go for it at some point based on pain level getting down to a 1 or 2. If it comes back full force, then CIM is done. Looking at timing, my guess is that I need to start running again by early next week in order to make CIM work. I'm not going to fly cross country and spend all this money unless I think I can PR given the shape I am (was?) in.

Probably will try to jog today, but will shut down immediately if it's bad. I will only push through it starting early next week.

*fingers crossed* that this clears up.  This really sucks.

JHudak - have a great race!  Really excited to see what you can do!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks guy. What's frustrating is I actually have done a lot of strengthening work this cycle, especially with lunges/squats/crab walk type work. Sometimes though the injuries still get you.

I don't feel the need to go find some new cardio source as I think my aerobic condition is great at this point. Not too worried about that. It's more about the leg strength.

Today definitely isn't happening. Still felt like I had to alter my gait to run and there was no way the pain was going to "warm up" through the run. I usually can tell that by about 1/4 mile in if it's going to get better if I keep going.

I'll try again tomorrow. Wednesday is the go/no go date based on my schedule. Still feeling optimistic it will be good to go by then, hopefully much earlier! But hey, at least this one wasn't a taper craziness issue 

RP - forgot to add: great job buying those shoes! You're going to love them. It makes the Zoom Fly feel like bricks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac well now I need to get through training. youngest kid was just "exposed" to COVID 19 at daycare. So his class is close for a week unless he can show a negative test (earliest would be Sunday). The problme is getting him tested since the testing advertised everywhere requires a person to be at least three years old. I'm not srure how some parent had their 6-12 month old tested. DAycare mentioned ONE place willing to test and it's $150. This is the STUPIDEST thing ever. Mostly because of how they handle COVID 19 so different from anything else. A week ago my oldest had hand, foot, and mouth diease. He got it FROM daycare, and NO NOTICE was sent out about "we have a kid with this disease." They sent MY kid home. RSV...yeah they just send home the kids who have it, and daycare stays open. COVID 19 exposure closes an entire classroom for a week when there is almost no possible way to have the kids tested. It's honeslty "fucking bullshit" to do this for COVID 19 with such a high recovery rate, and them literally never handling any other contagious disease spread through daycares like this.

*end rant*

So I'll have to see about getting in that 6E + 10M + 2E run.

Marby I appreciate the honest input. I'm not baggin on McMillan. I just don't think I could have run the times they suggest having broken 3 hours one. Sub 19 5k? no way. Not only because I doubt myself, but also because I' don't think I could run that fast for a 5k. ever. Interesting to see such a large difference between Daniels and McMillan training/racing paces.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

need2tri

RP, try calling your child's pediatrician. That was how we were able to get our son tested when he was one.  Good luck!

JMac well now I need to get through training. youngest kid was just "exposed" to COVID 19 at daycare. So his class is close for a week unless he can show a negative test (earliest would be Sunday). The problme is getting him tested since the testing advertised everywhere requires a person to be at least three years old. I'm not srure how some parent had their 6-12 month old tested. DAycare mentioned ONE place willing to test and it's $150. This is the STUPIDEST thing ever. Mostly because of how they handle COVID 19 so different from anything else. A week ago my oldest had hand, foot, and mouth diease. He got it FROM daycare, and NO NOTICE was sent out about "we have a kid with this disease." They sent MY kid home. RSV...yeah they just send home the kids who have it, and daycare stays open. COVID 19 exposure closes an entire classroom for a week when there is almost no possible way to have the kids tested. It's honeslty "fucking bullshit" to do this for COVID 19 with such a high recovery rate, and them literally never handling any other contagious disease spread through daycares like this.

*end rant*

So I'll have to see about getting in that 6E + 10M + 2E run.

Marby I appreciate the honest input. I'm not baggin on McMillan. I just don't think I could have run the times they suggest having broken 3 hours one. Sub 19 5k? no way. Not only because I doubt myself, but also because I' don't think I could run that fast for a 5k. ever. Interesting to see such a large difference between Daniels and McMillan training/racing paces.

need2tri

JMac, I am also dealing with hip flexor pain.  Like JT, standing with one leg with the other hanging bent at 90 degrees at the knee and hip helps a lot. I do that just for a minute twice before a run.  I even do it in the middle of the run when I feel the tightness coming.

I also have a massage gun, but I am seeing a Chiropractor who specializes in manual cross friction massage. She is very aggressive and she prods around until she finds the most tender place and massages that with her fingers. It hurts! But I see an immediate difference. The massage gun helps but there is a difference compared to what she does.

One other thing is using lacrosse ball to release my psoas. Google it.

Good luck

JT - I have a PureWave massage (similar to a theragun) that I've been using. I looked up cross friction massage with it, very similar to what I'm doing. Might as well make the machine work for me, it's so hard with your fingers!

My injury still hurts. I tried to jog a couple of blocks yesterday. Still painful, but a little better than the run where I cut short. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those injuries where I just need to go for it at some point based on pain level getting down to a 1 or 2. If it comes back full force, then CIM is done. Looking at timing, my guess is that I need to start running again by early next week in order to make CIM work. I'm not going to fly cross country and spend all this money unless I think I can PR given the shape I am (was?) in.

Probably will try to jog today, but will shut down immediately if it's bad. I will only push through it starting early next week.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Apparently urgent care has testing for those under 3. Pediatrician put in an order. Unfortunately the THREE testing locations are booked solid. Literally the exact opposite of what I’d expect given how dangerous COVID 19 is. Since it’s only the unvaccinated people who need testing I’m not shocked. As a state we’re still under 65% vaccinated. Maybe even under 60% completely vaccinated.

RP, try calling your child's pediatrician. That was how we were able to get our son tested when he was one.  Good luck!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Good luck jhudak! You definitely is able to do that!

RP - interesting with covid and kids in school. My 7 years old was already twice in contact with covid positive kids. What they do here is giving you a choice - either 10 days quarantine(staying home) or, if you kid doesn't have immediate symptoms, you can continue going to school, bu t you have to provide 2 negative lab tests within 10 days - first test - 3 days after notice of contact and then the second one - within 5 days after the first negative test result. There are like 3 or 4 mobile testing sites near our home - you can either make an appointment, but, also, because of so many test sites, you can just go straight to the site and register there. I would say, it's pretty easy to do the tests here. Though I agree with you - they are treating this as an ultimate threat.

Was going to buy Next% 2 yesterday at Nike site but then read what is the difference between version and basically the only difference is the upper, so, I have Next% already, and I have original Vaporflys, and I have Endorphin Pro  - so, at this point it's not about shoes, it's mostly about training Smile.

JMac - hope everything will be fine.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Was going to buy Next% 2 yesterday at Nike site but then read what is the difference between version and basically the only difference is the upper, so, I have Next% already, and I have original Vaporflys, and I have Endorphin Pro  - so, at this point it's not about shoes, it's mostly about training Smile.

Cal - I forgot to ask what you think of the Vaporflys/Next% and how much of an advantage timewise you think they give you compared to non cheater shoes?  I have an unopened box of Endorphin Pro which I was going to wear for my cancelled March marathon...maybe I’ll use them for speed workouts next year!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I downloaded the Indy app to track JHud, but it says he hasn't started yet. So either a bib malfunction or something happened. Hopefully it's the former.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JHud in 2:59:45 per Strava!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

corland

JHud in 2:59:45 per Strava!

Nice!!  Good to meet you today, Jhud!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Fantastic job to both of you (I see you broke 3:00 as well, Corland)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jhudak55

Thanks for all of the well wishes! What an awesome day! Weather was perfect and felt really good through 16. After that had to really dig for it, but got across just under three. 

I got back to the hotel, checked the app and found out none of my splits were recorded. I went down and met with the timing guy and he said that they were unable to post some peoples ‘cross the start’ time to the app. As a result, they didn’t have a baseline to record splits from. However, they have my net time to start recorded (29 seconds) in the official results. That was a huge relief. Official time should be 2:59:45!

jhudak55

Nice meeting you as well. You ought to start posting weekly. 

Congrats on sub 3!

OMR

congrats, Jhud!