2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I love my Theragun. It was a "family" Christmas gift last year. I BELIEVE it was $320 shipped. They had a sale, and "we" picked up their elite. I like the app for the fact it has an indicator of how much pressure I'm putting on thigs. I've found the 2400 setting is actually easier to manage pressure, according to the app, than the 1750 setting. It just took me a while to get up to 2400.

Oh and I assume you're doing another 4x2T workout Thursday. I'm still tempted by your 6E +10M +2E workout. I just need to find time.

Cal Whatever you are doing seems to be working. CIM weather is hopefully better than Boston as well. Plus your sub 3 is a BQ- A LOT so I totally understand wanting another great marathon. I might join you in entering the lottery for other marathons. You know, in case I'm unable to run Boston 2022.

i took yesterday off from running due to running "daddy daycare" all day. I was just gassed and had no motivation. Plus Monday I never told my wife I was doing 10M with a warm up and cool down. I just went for it to make me feel confident about my shoe purchase. I don't think the exhaustion was related to the run. I think it was more "cold, dark and windy" than I was willing to deal with and push through for an easy 7 miles. Unsure what I'll do for a long run this weekend.

Is there any reason NOT to do another 10M workout this week? I don't personally think there is a problem with it, since the training plan has 2 workouts. I'm just torn between doing another 2x3 mile (or 3x2 mile) at 10 seconds faster than M, or more M specific paced work.

EDIT:

The Theragun is NOT what I'd call quiet. Looking at their website they say the Elite is "75% quieter" and I'd say "than what? A toddler yelling? A machine gun?" I will say it's nice for a quick personal massage after sitting at the desk at home.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Thank you. 51 miles in only three runs last week is great. How are you feeling about Valencia?

Feeling better than I did last month!  Just read your RR and that was a nail biting finish for sub 3 and overall you ran a great race...so take a bit of time off and savour the achievement!  It’s always tempting to stick to the same training plan when you have a good race...but I like your attitude in wanting to give JD a go...why not as it’s helped for other folks and I’d say it’s a step up from Pfitz.

Cal - Your training has looked really good and there’s no way I’ll be giving advice on your goal time for CIM as you’ll know exactly what to aim for on race day!  Brighton marathon low key?...cheeky sod!...that is my Spring race next April and am thoroughly looking forward to it!  I’m still 100% up for Boston 2023 (hopefully I’ll get a BQ at Valencia and improve on time next year). Maybe they’ll realise how ludicrous a vaccinated only race is by then..I’m not anti vaxx, but that is bullshit.

Milkman - Obviously its down to the UK government regarding regulations, but I’m sure London Marathon will continue to act responsibly...runners show a negative test to enter the expo and show a negative test to enter the corral, pretty simple really without discriminating anyone who chooses not to be vaccinated for whatever reason.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well CIM is now officially done for me. The pain was back to "I can't run through this" today, and that was my red line for proceeding. I'm going to go in for imaging next week. I guess it really could be a stress fracture (it really didn't warm up today, hop test is failing, and the pain feels a little "deep" and non-specific lately). Probably won't get the MRI done though for a couple of weeks given the waitlist. Obviously hoping it's something more minor and I'll be back on the road before the end of 2021. Missing CIM is not the end of the world, but if I'm on the shelf for 8+ weeks it's going to be tough to get the motivation again to do an entire build up into PR shape again.

I'll try to stick around as much as I can but you guys know how it is when you're not running. I'll definitely be around to cheer on the CIM crew though!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - *EXPLETIVE DELETED* I was hopeful based upon your last notes, but had a bad feeling about this as soon as I saw that run on Strava. I absolutely hate that for you. And some for me, too, I was hoping to at least get brunch or something post-race.
          Assuming this is a stress fracture, would there be an non-running cardio you could do to maintain some of your considerable fitness?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well CIM is now officially done for me. The pain was back to "I can't run through this" today, and that was my red line for proceeding. 

UGH UGH UGH.

I am so sorry - this sucks.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Well CIM is now officially done for me. The pain was back to "I can't run through this" today, and that was my red line for proceeding.

That sucks man.  Really sorry to hear that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Terrible luck JMac so tough given the great build up you've had

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Sorry to see the bad news JMac. You're a young guy and you'll get back to PR shape next time.

2:52:16 (2018)

jhudak55

Damn. I thought everything was going to work out after your run yesterday. Heal up and get back at it.

OMR

JMac: Sorry to hear, hope you get this figured out soon.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well CIM is now officially done for me. The pain was back to "I can't run through this" today, and that was my red line for proceeding. I'm going to go in for imaging next week. I guess it really could be a stress fracture (it really didn't warm up today, hop test is failing, and the pain feels a little "deep" and non-specific lately). Probably won't get the MRI done though for a couple of weeks given the waitlist. Obviously hoping it's something more minor and I'll be back on the road before the end of 2021. Missing CIM is not the end of the world, but if I'm on the shelf for 8+ weeks it's going to be tough to get the motivation again to do an entire build up into PR shape again.

I'll try to stick around as much as I can but you guys know how it is when you're not running. I'll definitely be around to cheer on the CIM crew though!

Gutted for you and to potentially lose our star man on this thread. But there’s no doubt that you’re capable of getting back into PR shape next year...even if you’re out for 8+ weeks.  But as you say, will you have the motivation to continue with this weird running hobby? I heard that fishing is less injury prone. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks folks, means a lot. I definitely felt I was in PR shape, which really makes this tough. Felt that 2:34:XX was in the cards with a great weather day. Nature of the sport I guess. We all saw JT go through the same thing, and DW is battling some health demons. It sucks. Might be a lesson for me that I should stick with my shorter marathon builds in the future: this could be too much on the body.

RP/Keen/Cal - if you know anyone looking to run CIM, I'm happy to transfer my bib to them. Let me know

Mikkey - If I can't run, it's time to work on my golf swing this winter!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac man that sucks. I was looking forward to chatting about dad life after the race, and turning down your beers. I  hope it is a stress fracture since you seem to be able to accept this diagnosis more than "everything seems fine, and you're just aging."  I hope you enjoy that Theragun, and I honstly don't know if CIM transfers bibs, but all my friends are signed up already.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Bummer JMac.  Sorry to hear that.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

and I honstly don't know if CIM transfers bibs, but all my friends are signed up already.

Few of my friends from running team here cannot run CIM and they say you can transfer bib to another person - $40.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile