2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I didn't say good job on the RR before, I was too interested in goal times! Sorry about that. Anyway, my guess is A goal is sub 2:55, B goal is sub 3:00, C goal is PR.

RP - wait did you actually sign up for this Boston???

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen - I didn't say good job on the RR before, I was too interested in goal times! Sorry about that. Anyway, my guess is A goal is sub 2:55, B goal is sub 3:00, C goal is PR.

RP - wait did you actually sign up for this Boston???

Did you expect me not to?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's great! Congrats. You're going to love the experience.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think I've ridden so many highs at CIM I block out the bad parts as much as I can. I remember you moving right past me a few miles into the race and I was floored by your speed, I remember cal introducing himself, and I remember JMac Strava stalking me letting us all know he was drunk at the beer tent. Even meeting back up with you, SeattleMax and kkrunner back in the day was a joy. The rolling hills just represent the training to get there.

I've never had an MRI. Is that where they put you in the tube and you can't move and it makes a bunch of loud noises while you're supposed to relax and stay calm?

Forgot to address this:

1) Yes, the MRI is the tube with the loud sounds. I actually have fallen asleep in one before. A dark space lying on your back after work? Easy nap time. I also have blown through my out-of-pocket max so the test is completely free for me. Easy decision to get one.

2) It's easy to get drunk at the post-race tent when you have a 25 minute start on everyone else 

Running Problem

Problem Child

That's great! Congrats. You're going to love the experience.

Well I'm not sure I've fully committed to running it. If I run it it will be just me flying across the country on a Saturday and flying home Tuesday. Should CIM result in another BQ-5 I'd run 2023 and bring just the wife so we could check out more of the area. I've wanted to explore the area, plus rumor has it more people will be running 2023 than 2022. The biggest reason I'd run it would be to put an end to the whole "CIM is an easy course. Boston is harder because of the hills" discussion. It's only fair to be at, or near, PR shape for both races and this is about as close as it can get for that to happen. I might hold off and run it in 2023 as a fun race hoping it's back to the 50,000 person capacity with all my online friends coming out to celebrate the Red Socks win a baseball event.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Pacing - I learned when setting my last PR that a nebulous goal such as "anything sub 3" isn't going to work for me and is about the same as saying my goal is 2:59:59 and setting an expectation for myself that that is as fast as I can go. I'll need to do something like (just examples) A= sub 2:55, B= 2:57:30, C= 2:59:59.

Forget about goal B or C and just focus on the A goal as this isn’t The Waltons thread.  Go big or go home.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Forget about goal B or C and just focus on the A goal as this isn’t The Waltons thread.  Go big or go home.

Going to slight disagree with you here Dad. I think B goals are good as long as you have the right mindset. You absolutely should go into races shooting for the A goal (some people use the B goal as an excuse not to push, which then I agree, only A goal allowed).

I think having a B goal can help if things aren't going your way that day but prevent you from just giving up. I remember one half I ran I set a goal of PR and when I knew that wasn't happening, I just stopped pushing at all. Other races where I've had a B goal it forced me to keep pushing.

No f-ing around with Mikkey!

JMac: I have a Long Island question for you. There's a marathon January 23 (Icebreaker) in Eisenhower Park, East Meadow NY. Are you familiar with the area? I'm wondering how windy it gets there. I'm interested in the race because it's almost guaranteed to be cold, while Houston is much more of a gamble in that regard.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Going to slight disagree with you here Dad. I think B goals are good as long as you have the right mindset. You absolutely should go into races shooting for the A goal (some people use the B goal as an excuse not to push, which then I agree, only A goal allowed).

I think having a B goal can help if things aren't going your way that day but prevent you from just giving up. I remember one half I ran I set a goal of PR and when I knew that wasn't happening, I just stopped pushing at all. Other races where I've had a B goal it forced me to keep pushing.

Or...you could just make it simple and try to run the best race you had in you that day.

(which I know is very touchy-feely and everyone wants solid measurable goals)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I agree with darkwave...if you miss A goal then just continue and give it your best shot.  With my marathon PR in 2019 I was only focused on going sub2:50...even though a sub2:53 would’ve been enough for a Moose Mug (which I was obsessed about). The last 10k in a marathon and your head will think of all sorts of excuses to slow down and if you’ve got goal B and C then....

JT - You are my brother and we must always continue to tease Cal about the downhill CIM course. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Or...you could just make it simple and try to run the best race you had in you that day.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That works for me on good days. It doesn't work for me on bad days. But goes to my mindset point: it depends on your mindset. If you're someone who uses excuses to run bad races, never set a B goal.

JT - you really love obscure marathons, they have finishers in the double digits and it's 8 loops! Crazy. You and I are polar opposites when it comes to marathons we like. I do see however there aren't many choices in Jan/Feb in the somewhat local area, so I get it. Based on past results, you are going to win the race, so that's exciting. One other thing though with that race: yes, it's guaranteed to be cold, but you run the risk of snow/ice cancelling it or a day in the teens and windy.

Anyway, yes, the middle of Long Island tends to be a bit more breezy than NYC for example. The other problem is that at least in this area, the windiest time of year is January, so it's a risk (the average wind is 12 MPH, so you're looking at 20+ probably a quarter of the time).

JT - you really love obscure marathons, they have finishers in the double digits and it's 8 loops! Crazy. You and I are polar opposites when it comes to marathons we like. I do see however there aren't many choices in Jan/Feb in the somewhat local area, so I get it. Based on past results, you are going to win the race, so that's exciting. One other thing though with that race: yes, it's guaranteed to be cold, but you run the risk of snow/ice cancelling it or a day in the teens and windy.

Anyway, yes, the middle of Long Island tends to be a bit more breezy than NYC for example. The other problem is that at least in this area, the windiest time of year is January, so it's a risk (the average wind is 12 MPH, so you're looking at 20+ probably a quarter of the time).

Thanks for the perspective on the wind. Yeah, definitely a risk for extreme winter weather at that date. I almost ran the half for this race 3 or 4 years ago, can't remember why I ended up not doing it; might have been because of snow or ice. Anyway, it's another option, just a week after Houston in case that ends up being too warm. There's a plethora of races in Florida in January and Feb but again the risk is high for warm weather.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Once you are looking at Jacksonville, FL  or north, you have a good shot of decent weather on race day.  I'd go with Georgia or South Carolina in January/February over the northeast any day.

Jacksonville, FL is chillier than you think it is in January.  Big difference between Jacksonville and Miami.  You even have a good shot of decent weather in Tampa in January.

(of course, this is pre-global warming in the early 1990s, but I used to shuttle down to Jacksonville to show horses in January and February.  The first time I packed like I was going to Miami.  That was an awful weekend.  More recently, I've travelled down to Tampa in January/February regularly, and temperatures in the morning were generally 40s and 50s; occasionally 30s.  Winter in Tampa is like fall in the Mid-Atlantic.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - what about the Charleston marathon? Looks like finishers of about 800, January 15, and average temps about 5 degrees colder than Houston based on what I'm seeing. There are also a bunch of options in February but it sounds like January might be better.