2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow that's a hell of a negative split. This would suggest stepping back two groups, but it's hard for me to imagine making up that much time on the course. Of course I agree it's great to be able to chase down people. I've only negative-splitted, once (and not by nearly that much); I still consider that my greatest race even though it's no longer my PR.

I think with how many people will be going out too fast, along with the relay runners, it could be beneficial to do as she does. You really will have people to reel in the entire time starting farther back. The only reason I'm personally starting ahead of the 3 hour pace group is becuase, like JMac said, they go out too fast and I didn't like running with them through aid stations last year. I was doing a flat 6:50/mi when I caught up to them, ended up at the front of the pack, and they just hung with me instead of slowing down a few seconds per mile. Pacer kind of realized he went out kinda fast around the last mile. I think they crossed halfway around 1:28 or 1:29. I was at 1:30, I think, and I was ahead of them by a minute.

Oh and darkwave FLEW by me that year. I think I ran 3:20 or 3:15 and when she came by I looked over thinking "JESUS what gear is THAT??"

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW and I run very similarly, but she has even slower first miles than I do. Here is how I ran CIM in 2019. The course does have those rolling hills, but I do think you can keep within a 10 second range of pace. If you're outside of that, it's on you, not the course. Moreso than any other race, the marathon requires a slow first mile, even if you warm up a bit beforehand. The dangers of overcooking your pace are much higher in this than any other distance.

2019 CIM

ETA: I checked the official results. If you want to see what a somewhat negative split will do in terms of your placing, this is it. This demonstrates how silly fast way too many people go out. I passed people in every single 5K, and I was running effectively even pace after the first mile:

<caption> </caption>
      5K 390
      10K 385
      15K 360
      20K 342
      25K 329
      30K 316
      35K 300
      40K 281
      Full Course 271

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Looks like I had a similar result in 2019. 6:49-50/mi the entire race.

5k 1340
        10k 1354
        15k 1280
        20k 1190
        half marathon 1182
        25k 1159
        30k 1129
        35k 1075
        40k 1034
        full 1013

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just imagine if CIM was a legit Marathon Major!

I would definitely sign up. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

2019 CIM

Incidentally, that was a fun race to revisit on Strava. Very very nice.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's a marathon minor.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This would ruin CIM, and no one really wants to travel to Sacramento as a destination.

Edit Darkwave LMAO!!!!! Marathon Minor. HAHAAHAHAHAAH!

Since we're all going down Memory Lane...

Here is the 3 hour pacer from 2019. He's doing 2020.

VDOT 53.37 

Some crazy impressive CIM performances up in here.

Dave

CalBears

Looks like I had a similar result in 2019. 6:49-50/mi the entire race.

5k 1340
                    10k 1354
                    15k 1280
                    20k 1190
                    half marathon 1182
                    25k 1159
                    30k 1129
                    35k 1075
                    40k 1034
                    full 1013

My 2019 marathon story was a little bit different - people were passing me almost up until half point and then after 25K mark I started to pass up to 70-80 runners within 5K, just last 2km 195m I passed 60 runners Smile. Comparing to 2019, I ran a about 200 miles more but back then most of my miles were ran later in the year and this year I started to run evenly starting in April. Plus, back then I had an uninterrupted training cycle, this time my training was interrupted by 3 marathons. My bet is that I was prepared better in 2019, but we will see in a few days.

5k 1259
                    10k 1301
                    15k 1339
                    20k 1303
                    half marathon 1323
                    25k 1295
                    30k 1226
                    35k 1140
                    40k 1074
                    full 1013

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

I thought you were much closer to the pack. You really turned on the speed later in the race.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Some crazy impressive CIM performances up in here.

Yeah, and to think back to setting a goal of Sub 3:20 was a massive deal to me.

VDOT 53.37 

Yeah, and to think back to setting a goal of Sub 3:20 was a massive deal to me.

That’s mine.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Edit Darkwave LMAO!!!!! Marathon Minor. HAHAAHAHAHAAH!

HOHOHO!!!!!

EricSmile  We need a Santa emoji now that we’re into December.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My 2019 marathon story was a little bit different - people were passing me almost up until half point and then after 25K mark I started to pass up to 70-80 runners within 5K, just last 2km 195m I passed 60 runners Smile. Comparing to 2019, I ran a about 200 miles more but back then most of my miles were ran later in the year and this year I started to run evenly starting in April. Plus, back then I had an uninterrupted training cycle, this time my training was interrupted by 3 marathons. My bet is that I was prepared better in 2019, but we will see in a few days.

5k 1259
                              10k 1301
                              15k 1339
                              20k 1303
                              half marathon 1323
                              25k 1295
                              30k 1226
                              35k 1140
                              40k 1074
                              full 1013

How the heck did both CalBears and Running Problem end up in 1013th place at the conclusion of the 2019 CIM?  Did you cross holding hands?

Running Problem

Problem Child

well shit...Boston apparently charged my card. Non-refundable, Non-transferrable, and non-deferrable entry fee paid. Thankfully they required a credit card when I applied for entry without knowing if I'd be in or not.

VDOT 53.37