2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

How the heck did both CalBears and Running Problem end up in 1013th place at the conclusion of the 2019 CIM?  Did you cross holding hands?

Possibly, and without proof I'm sure a lawyer could support the belief you can't say we didn't if you can't prove we did. wow....that sounds like the office in my logic.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

How the heck did both CalBears and Running Problem end up in 1013th place at the conclusion of the 2019 CIM?  Did you cross holding hands?

Oops... Sorry, my bad - I finished 1041, used RP's table as a template and left last row unchanged Sad Good eye!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

OMR

Oops... Sorry, my bad - I finished 1041, used RP's table as a template and left last row unchanged Sad Good eye!

I like the hand-holding story better. 

Good luck to all of you CIM-ers this weekend!  And Mikkey!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I was pretty okay until about today where the FOMO hit. I'm upset I won't be joining you guys. May have to drink a few beers this weekend on your behalf .

Either way, I predice three sub 3s and Keen coming in at 2:56.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was pretty okay until about today where the FOMO hit. I'm upset I won't be joining you guys. May have to drink a few beers this weekend on your behalf .

Either way, I predice three sub 3s and Keen coming in at 2:56.

As long as it’s Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Wouldn’t want you drinking anything local or good. I was going to bring you some beers from Revision Brewing since they make a bunch of IPAs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Good luck Cal, RP and Keen! I agree with JMAc; three sub 3s for you guys.

Good luck Mikkey! Your race will happen first and set the tone for the CIM boys. I saw Geoffrey Kamworor is running there; your best bet is to tuck in behind him the first 40k and then torch the last 2.2k in around 6 minutes flat. 

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ah yes, good luck Mikkey!

In a burst of optimism (to steal a phrase from DW), I am looking at spring races. I didn't want to run a marathon this spring, but I've realized I really do love the distance and now with my last two marathons cancelled (one by COVID, one by my femur), I want to run the damn distance.

For those that have run Grandma's, thoughts on it? I know the weather can be iffy, but that's true of every single marathon in the spring, at least here in the US. I am willing to travel internationally if there is something great in the spring.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For those that have run Grandma's, thoughts on it? I know the weather can be iffy, but that's true of every single marathon in the spring, at least here in the US. I am willing to travel internationally if there is something great in the spring.

I have done Grandma's several times, and will be returning for the half this coming year.  As you can tell, I like the race a lot.  In its own way, it's every bit as quality as CIM.  The race organization is excellent, and it will pull in a LOT of runners at your ability level.

The weather can be iffy, but less so than Boston or other spring marathons, I think.  Certainly I've always been willing to take the risk.  One thing to consider - the later the race falls in the spring/summer, the more acclimated you are, and so you've got a higher margin for weather - i.e. a marathon in the high 50s/low 60s might be tough in February but is totally doable in June.

The course is great and easy on the body - very gentle rolling hills.  It's not the most exciting of courses, but neither is CIM.  The first 18 miles are pretty much just trees and a bit of lake off to the side.

Logistics need some effort, coming from the east coast.  You can fly into Duluth, but I don't recommend it - there's only so many flights per day from MSP and O'Hare, and if your connection gets screwed or cancelled, it can be very hard to get on another flight.  Far better to fly into MSP, rent a car, and drive about 2.5 hours to Duluth.

In terms of staying there, I like the UMD dorms as an affordable option (there are other dorms also at U-Wisconsin and College St. Scolastica but they are generally of lower quality).  You can get a hotel, but they range from stupid expensive and lousy to really stupid expensive and OK.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey good luck at Valencia!  And good luck to Commander KeenRunning ProblemCalBears, CH17, and DavePNW at CIM!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Ah yes, good luck Mikkey!

In a burst of optimism (to steal a phrase from DW), I am looking at spring races. I didn't want to run a marathon this spring, but I've realized I really do love the distance and now with my last two marathons cancelled (one by COVID, one by my femur), I want to run the damn distance.

Didn't run Grandma (doubt I will ever), but I will mention Napa Valley marathon - March 6 - though it might be too soon for you.

I am willing to travel internationally if there is something great in the spring.

Since you are willing to travel, I have two strong recommendations for the spring: Eugene and Vancouver (BC), both on 5/1/22. Both are fairly flat, and that time of year in the PNW it's less likely to get too warm compared to many places.

I've run Eugene; there were only about 1500 marathon finishers, but it is well-organized with good crowd support, and has the feel of a bigger race. Plus the finish on the track at Hayward Field is pretty cool, assuming they still do this. FindMyMarathon calls it "mostly flat," but I only remember one minor hill.

I have not run Vancouver, but will next spring; I was registered in 2020, and applied my deferral. A lot of people around here run it and I hear nothing but rave reviews. It includes a loop around Stanley Park which is quite scenic. (Note: Do NOT accidentally sign up for the Vancouver USA Marathon in Oregon. That one is a trainwreck.)

I've also heard good things about Napa Valley, in March.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks folks. Napa is definitely too early - I will not be in marathon shape by March. I'd probably only want to run a marathon in May or June.

DW - Grandma's pretty much sounds perfect except for the weather. I wish they ran it just a few weeks earlier, but so be it. I feel like only CIM has good weather in this country. Everything else is a crapshoot (except NYC perhaps, it always seems to workout for that race except for the rare storm day)

Dave - Eugene actually looks pretty good! 30 people finished sub 2:40, which is a decent number. Vancouver a bit more spread out, but still not bad. My only concern with Vancouver would be that it's on the water: I imagine that must be pretty windy, no?

ETA: Looks like Ottawa is the other big one to run. I'll decide how I feel in a few weeks. Or maybe I'll just throw more money away on race registrations for races I won't actually run

My only concern with Vancouver would be that it's on the water: I imagine that must be pretty windy, no?

IDK, I haven’t heard anything about that. I don’t imagine it’s any windier than anyplace else, unless it is on that day. It’s not directly on the ocean, it’s kind of on a bay/inlet.

Dave

Marby

Ash

Jmac: Paris, Rotterdam, Gold Coast

Good luck Mikkey, Dave, Keen, Cal, RP.

Trifecta bet is on Keen, Cal & RP - all going through half in 1:28 (possibly holding hands) and sub 3.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

CalBears

Jmac: Paris, Rotterdam, Gold Coast

Good luck Mikkey, Dave, Keen, Cal, RP.

Trifecta bet is on Keen, Cal & RP - all going through half in 1:28 (possibly holding hands) and sub 3.

Ha-ha... Don't know what to expect from Mikkey, but putting me near Keen is just plain offensive Smile Keen's training was totally on another level. Just compare his monthly mileage for the last half a year at least and mine (or RP's for that matter Smile - and mileage is still a KING for the marathon. And btw, 1:28??? - I barely beat 1:30 when I ran half marathon race, even my latest downhill marathon I was only somewhere around 1:29 at the half. I absolutely have no clue what I end up on Sunday. I won't be surprised if RP also misses sub 3 - I do not see his training on par with his 2019 one - but keep in mind I am a "glass half empty" guy Sad. But I believe in Keen, if he stays calm and focused and not panicking when it gets hard for some moments, he should be 2:55 at least - all his tune up races point to it and mainly - the MILEAGE!!!

But nevertheless, good luck to Keen, RP and Mikkey (and Dave) - I hope you all surprise yourself and me Smile