2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks folks. Napa is definitely too early - I will not be in marathon shape by March. I'd probably only want to run a marathon in May or June.

DW - Grandma's pretty much sounds perfect except for the weather. I wish they ran it just a few weeks earlier, but so be it. I feel like only CIM has good weather in this country. Everything else is a crapshoot (except NYC perhaps, it always seems to workout for that race except for the rare storm day)

Dave - Eugene actually looks pretty good! 30 people finished sub 2:40, which is a decent number. Vancouver a bit more spread out, but still not bad. My only concern with Vancouver would be that it's on the water: I imagine that must be pretty windy, no?

ETA: Looks like Ottawa is the other big one to run. I'll decide how I feel in a few weeks. Or maybe I'll just throw more money away on race registrations for races I won't actually run

Grandma's allows bib transfers through a portal up until May 1.  If you register and decide not to run by that time, you shouldn't have any issue finding someone to buy your bib.

My worry about Ottawa would be the same for any Canadian race - how certain are you that you'll be able to cross into Canada, run a race, and return to the US easily.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My worry about Ottawa would be the same for any Canadian race - how certain are you that you'll be able to cross into Canada, run a race, and return to the US easily.

This is good advice. I signed up for Vancouver because I had a deferral from 2020. They gave 3 years to use it, but I guess I was anxious; plus I think when I signed up it was one of those moments in time when it seemed like everything was getting better. I guess we’ll see if I made a mistake.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck Mikkey! Your race will happen first and set the tone for the CIM boys. I saw Geoffrey Kamworor is running there; your best bet is to tuck in behind him the first 40k and then torch the last 2.2k in around 6 minutes flat. 

Thanks!  Well I might have to tuck in behind somebody as it’s going to be a bit windy tomorrow - 20mph/35mph gusts according to metoffice!  I’m in wave 2 out of 4 along with the 3:00/3:15 pacers so I’m guessing there’s quite a few competitive jerks participating. (they also have 2:50 pacers in wave 1)

Good luck at CIM Cal, Keen, RP, Dave and NO holding hands! (elbow bumps only)

Milkman - Great to hear that you’re thinking of running a Spring marathon and hope you find a suitable race!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey what about drafting during a downhill marathon? Keen looks like he could block some wind and maybe I could be sucked into a vortex behind him running 7:00/mi effort with a 6:45/mi pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Good luck to everybody tomorrow!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Live tracking is on the CIM website now:

Tracker for Cal, Keen and RP

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow super cool that its pre-loaded. Thanks Steve.

Once again, best of luck to the three amigos. Will miss you guys out there. I drank a Sierra Nevada last night for ya'll.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

BIB 9258

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

My move has kicked my butt along with my sons move to Guam and still a lot going on with Work.

Haven't really put much effort into running over the last 2 months.

I managed a bit over 20 miles last week and expect to squeeze out another 20 this week.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Has anyone been able to find Valencia results? I've been looking, but can't seem to find on website.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marby

Ash

3:10:18

Well done Mikkey!

Had a crack at 3:05, half split was 1:32:35 and held that pace through 30k. Got tough after that by the look of it.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Congratulations Mikey.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The good news is I qualified for Boston! The bad news is that I crashed into a barrier at the 500m to go marker landing on my nose! A couple of spectators managed to get me on my feet eventually and was able to jog it in. I had a feeling that would happen as I was all over the place for the last couple of miles and couldn’t run in a straight line! Anyway good run a marathon again and hopefully get in sub 3 shape for Brighton next April!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Great run Mikkey! I looked at your splits on the app (each 5k) and they were incredibly even, 7:04-7:08 pace the whole way, and then that last bit from 40k to the finish dropped to 7:16 pace; now I see why. I hope you're ok from the fall.

2:52:16 (2018)