2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Dave - nice race! The psychological benefit of passing people in the 2nd half  (vs being passed) is huge for most of us.

Cal - excellent result and strong mentality to finish so well when feeling a bit down recently.  AG% must be pretty high?

RP - I didn't expect you to run so well. Major kudos!

Keen - hope you're not injured.  Marathons suck when you do the work and shit happens. (that's why I learned to prefer 5K-1/2M)

Running Problem

Problem Child

SteveChCh I think PE is the ONLY class I received an A+ in without studying.

JMac I really wish I knew what you were thinking when the updates came in. I did honestly think of this thread each time I crossed a timing mat and imagined the conversation being had here, or at everyone’s home when seeing my pace. Especially after the amount of self doubt I put up. And yes, I was doubting myself Saturday night. 
      oh yeah, the Sun 3 pacers went out at 6:45/mi pace for a while again.

Marky Mark man I appreciate that a lot.

darkwave I found a good Mexican place in Downtown Sacramento about 1/2 mile from the Capitol building. A second option was literally chipotle. Trade secrets of the club.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

If you go back a few pages RP, you'll see everyone extremely impressed with your race throughout the whole thing.  And even some shock at just how well you were going.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you go back a few pages RP, you'll see everyone extremely impressed with your race throughout the whole thing.  And even some shock at just how well you were going.

Running Problem ‘liked’ this comment.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

need2tri

RP congrats again! Looking forward to reading your RR. If you may,  two things for your consideration when you write your RR that I would be very curious to read about:

1. Were you continuously looking at your watch? As others said your splits are amazing ( from your RA log). Or did you pull a DW and run by effort?

2. You heartrate was ridiculously low for a marathon.  Do you think it is HRM error ( I noticed that twice on my FR235 before: low heat rate error though high HR error is more common with cadence lock) or it is as a result of the relative low elevation of CIM with good weather compared to where you live. ( the lack of heartrate drift makes me feel it is more of the former than the latter).

Hope you will comment on these.  Thanks.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP congrats again! Looking forward to reading your RR. If you may,  two things for your consideration when you write your RR that I would be very curious to read about:

1. Were you continuously looking at your watch? As others said your splits are amazing ( from your RA log). Or did you pull a DW and run by effort?

2. You heartrate was ridiculously low for a marathon.  Do you think it is HRM error ( I noticed that twice on my FR235 before: low heat rate error though high HR error is more common with cadence lock) or it is as a result of the relative low elevation of CIM with good weather compared to where you live. ( the lack of heartrate drift makes me feel it is more of the former than the latter).

Hope you will comment on these.  Thanks.

1. I was absolutely continuously looking at my watch.

2. I believe the heart rate was accurate. I say this because I have done enough marathons with very heavy breathing, a 165-174 heart rate, and this year I actually calmed my breathing down in the middle of the race. I have also gone "checkers or wreckers" enough times to know how I feel when I push that hard and this was completely different. I'm no expert so I'll say it's a combination of "train high, race low" perfect weather (45-48F for 3 hours with cloud cover the whole way and a 3 mph breeze/head wind) and "the magic of CIM."

This year was about 8-10 degrees warmer, with probably the same humidity.

Previous CIM Marathons

CIM 2015 3:23

CIM 2016 3:13

CIM 2019 2:59. This year was about 8 degrees warmer, and I was in the sub 3 pacing group

CIM 2021 2:56. Ran "solo" or with whoever was continually around me.

As for a race report....I will have to see what I can do.

JMac I had to read your comment about my mile splits being "insane" a few times. I guess it's another time I do things differently than everyone else. Those who can stay tuned in to their body and "live their best life" "Run their best race on that day" amazing me probably the same way I can amaze you by putting up tight mile splits. I really with the guy who runs my marathons could show up to work.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - I didn't expect you to run so well. Major kudos!

FINALLY! SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOUBTED ME AS MUCH AS I DID! I knew I wasn't the only one.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

FINALLY! SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOUBTED ME AS MUCH AS I DID! I knew I wasn't the only one.

I doubted you mentally 2 months ago. Does that count?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - finally have time to comment on your race. What a crazy ending. Did your legs give out, or did you get dizzy and fall? I have to say though, being assisted by people on the course: another cheater move. We never really spoke about that as part of all the cheating we do in this forum, very creative and something I plan on implementing soon. 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - finally have time to comment on your race. What a crazy ending. Did your legs give out, or did you get dizzy and fall? I have to say though, being assisted by people on the course: another cheater move. We never really spoke about that as part of all the cheating we do in this forum, very creative and something I plan on implementing soon. 

I never thought of that - In my defence, the 2 spectators yanked me up without my consent!  I think it was a bit of both as I was feeling lightheaded and my legs felt like lead at the stage. I must’ve landed on my knees and hit my face on the barriers. I just need to start training properly for a marathon again!

RP - Top man!!!  I didn’t think you could do it simply because I thought you had a running problem!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Forgot to also congratulate Mikkey and Dave for really good races.  Has that ever happened to you before Mikkey?  Great effort to drag yourself over the finish line.

RP - Do I remember correctly that you're off the beers these days?  How did you celebrate that one and how have you pulled up?

I doubted you too, simply because some of your comments suggested you didn't think you could do it.  I think you have way more talent than you think.  When you realise that, you might be able to go even faster.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I doubted you too, simply because some of your comments suggested you didn't think you could do it.  I think you have way more talent than you think.  When you realise that, you might be able to go even faster.

I know we are always shooting for faster times whenever someone sets a PR, but this one really rings true for RP. If he put up a serious block this spring or next fall, there's no reason he's not running 2:4X. There's just something about the marathon that he always knocks it out of the park.

As for a race report....I will have to see what I can do.

RP is a man of few words... the RR will be a struggle.  

Running Problem

Problem Child

I doubted you mentally 2 months ago. Does that count?

Bullshit. You need to respect your elders and not tell lies.

edit: TWO FOURTY!?!?!?! Fuck you. You’re as bad as my trail runner friends planning out when I could do a 100 miler and try for western states. Fuck those guys too. It would be kind of cool to run a 2:49 though.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP is a man of few words... the RR will be a struggle.  

I think I’ve finished the “non running“ portion. It’s about 6 pages...

EDIT: Garmin says I did 655 ft of ascent and 986 ft of descent. This kind of explains the phrase "even when you're going down, you're going up" in regard to the rolling hills along the course. Overall it is a downhill marathon, and in reality it is rolling hills until about mile 21 or 22 (stupid bridge might as well be Mt. Whitney at that point) where it becomes pancake flat.

EDIT #2:

Forgot to post my weekly.

I TRIED to do a 10/8/6/4/2 mile countdown run leading up to CIM. I missed the 2 mile mostly because I had to drive and get to the expo, and it was too cold in the morning, plus I overslept and my wife woke me up around 8am with an aggressive "are you sick? Then get out of bed. I need your help with the kids."

A little 1/2 mile warm up hobby jog on Sunday morning and a marathon shortly after. 59 miles if I count the pre-race shakeout walk trying to get the oldest kid to nap. Overall a good week for running.

Weekly for period: From: 11/29/2021 To 12/05/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                11/29 Might want to get that checked out 1.00 1.61 00:20:40 20:40 12:50 7
                                11/29 That time the countdown begins. 10.01 16.10 01:20:07 08:00 04:59 364
                                11/30 Rambling vs thinking out loud 2.12 3.41 00:47:55 22:36 14:03 46
                                11/30 That time I saw a ten foot tall ⛄️ and a 🐉 8.01 12.88 01:04:31 08:03 05:01 144
                                12/02 That time sick leave must be pre-approved. 6.01 9.67 00:47:57 07:59 04:58 72
                                12/03 That time it was icing on the cake known as today. 3.86 6.20 00:31:16 08:06 05:03 213
                                12/04 Pre-race shakeout. 1.28 2.06 00:31:20 24:29 15:13 16
                                12/05 That time I ditched Kyle 0.48 0.77 00:03:16 06:48 04:15 23
                                12/05 That time you don’t call it a comeback! 26.33 42.37 02:56:11 06:41 04:09 610

Total distance: 59.09mi

VDOT 53.37