2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ian - that's good news about vaccination rates - you are way ahead of us.  I see Tuesday's effort was a cycling race on Zwift (it threw me off at first...."he's battling PF and he did a 22 mile running race?"  (of course, the pace was another clue Smile )

OMR - FWIW I think it was smart not to jump into 17 miles.  Regarding taking a periodic block of just elliptical, I would worry about the loss of durability, which can be harder to get back as we age.  Maybe better to just cycle 2-3 days of running with 1 of elliptical?  My observation is that, as we age, we need to build more recovery into every week but also CAN'T take big long breaks as it is too difficult to come back.

JTReeves - !!! I'm sorry about the back/hamstring.   That's really unfortunate.  But...as you note, it may play well overall into the cycle.

My week:

64 miles, 1500 yards swimming, and 1 hour of pool-running

M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.

T:  12 miles, including 8 Iwo Jima hill repeats (2:00 up, 90 second jog, 25 second stride, 75 second jog).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming

W: 10 miles very easy (9:11), drills and 2 strides, and streaming yoga.

Th: Upper body weights/core and 5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:15) (pool was closed due to ice and snow, so no pool-running)

F: 12 miles on treadmill including 6x1K in 4 minutes each with 75 seconds recovery jog and then 6x45 seconds at 6:00 pace with 75 second jog in between.   Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Sa: 10 miles very easy on treadmill (9:10) and streaming yoga.

Su: 14 miles progressive on treadmill, split as first 4 miles averaging 9:17 pace, next 5 miles averaging 7:48 pace, next 5 miles averaging 7:08 pace and then a ~.5 mile cooldown.  Followed with streaming yoga, injury prevention stuff, and 500 yards recovery swimming + 10 minutes pool-running.

We had some icy/snowy (most icy) weather starting Thursday morning, so I just ran on my treadmill the rest of the week rather than cruise around looking for a reasonably clear place to run.  As I think I've mentioned, my treadmill is currently stuck at a slight incline with no variation since my incline motor is broken.  Not ideal since I think it's good to have some variation in incline.  Fortunately, my normal easy run route is fairly hilly and I've done a hill workout each week, so I think I have some balance in there anyway.

I've found a fairly close half-marathon  (the Salisbury Half-Marathon) on April 3 with a clear Covid plan, so that's my next goal race (no goal time yet).  The nice thing is that my parents live between me and the race, and by April 3 they should both be fully vaccinated (dad is already done; mom gets her first shot this week) so I may actually be able to combine the race with a careful visit.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ian5

Darkwave-Are you trying to imply a 22m run in just over an hour is beyond me

Hope you get to do the half,I'm getting more hopeful about May.Latest predictions are all adults vaccinated by the end of July so at least Autumn races are looking good.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave-Are you trying to imply a 22m run in just over an hour is beyond me

Hope you get to do the half,I'm getting more hopeful about May.Latest predictions are all adults vaccinated by the end of July so at least Autumn races are looking good.

I am so terribly sorry to imply any doubt of your running prowess.  I am certain a 60 minute 22 miler is well within reach as soon as you kick the PF.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

Weather - love it!!  That sounds like so much fun!  The time on the clock says very little about the actual story.

JTReeves - I said stay niggle free! I hope they are very short lived. You have a massage/phys person, no? Might be good time to get in for an appt. Be careful with that hammy.

OMR -  7 1/2 hours is solid. Good work on the 2 hr commitment on the elliptical.

52 mi easy +2200 ft on 6 days. I took Tuesday off to give the ribs a rest day and a soak in Epsom salts. They have been improving. Friday I got my first dose of Covid vaccine and I was exhausted on Saturday and still felt wiped today.

jhudak55

OMR: Nice job on the elliptical. That's some serious cross training.

DW: Nice week. I ran the Custis to W&OD this weekend for the first time since the bridge underpass opened up. I thought it was pretty funny that they put in a pedestrian roundabout at the intersection.

JT: Sorry about the injury luck. Hopefully those incline walks give you a chance to stay strong for the second half of your block.

My Week

45 miles

M: Off

T: 5.1 miles easy (8:55)

W: 6 miles with 3 mile tempo (6:57, 6:58, 6:51)

T: 5.1 miles easy (9:05)

F: 5.1 miles easy (8:50)

S: 8.1 with 10x400 @ goal 5k pace, I overran most of these

S: 15.6 mile long run

Good week for me. Took a bit of time off the previous week because I ramped up too quickly and got some achilles soreness. Planning on running a 5k race or TT on 3/6. Not sure whether I'll do it solo on the track or try and find a race.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Nice week. I ran the Custis to W&OD this weekend for the first time since the bridge underpass opened up. I thought it was pretty funny that they put in a pedestrian roundabout at the intersection.

Hahahaha.  I HATE that thing.

For the rest of you - this is what we're talking about.  It's an expensive safety improvement that really was overkill.  All they needed to do was pull out the intersection slightly so it wasn't a blind turn.  The roundabout just gets in the way.

I have to admit that it's changed my running route.  I used to make a left there on to the Custis under the bridge.  But now I just find myself going straight there instead rather than do a 3/4 circle of that thing.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - Pretty solid week, even being all on the elliptical. Smart about not jumping straight in to a 17 mile run.
                We got a solid 6" or so of really nice powder snow, which is in stark contrast to our usual ice storms. Over the weekend (I was out of town visiting my parents) someone in the neighborhood actually cleared off every single driveway in the neighborhood (snow shovels and especially snow blowers are uncommon here).
                No real ill effects from the snow (no power outages, pipe bursts, etc.), aside from having to post hole my way through some knee deep drifts to get to the trail. I did pick up a cold bug from my girls and hardly got any miles during the week, though, which was the worst of it.

DWave - Solid week. Any prospects on having that elevation motor repaired or replaced? Or perhaps manually turning the drive screw to level it out?

jhudak - Nice week. If you can't find an open track do you have a road course in mind for your TT?

Last week was very light for me (27mi in total) - just 2-5ish mile runs, all easy as I was getting over a cold. Feeling much better now and glad to be getting back to my usual mileage this week. I've planned for a 5k (ok, 5,000m track) TT for Friday, which it looks like I'll have good weather for. The plan is to use that as a fitness test and see what I should target for my half in a few weeks.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OMR

JT:  Sorry to hear about the back/hamstring issues, hope that clears up quickly.  It's early in your cycle, so there's plenty of time to get back to things.  I've done the walking treadhills @ 15%, those can be exhausting!

ian:  I had to take a second glance at that 22-miler, haha, hopefully the PF goes away soon.

Dwave:  I totally get your point about not taking a complete break...the elasticity and hip extension seems to disappear pretty quickly.  Sorry to hear Fluffy is stuck at an incline.

cinnamon:  52M in six days...things are improving for you, it seems.  Hope that rib pain goes away, as wells as the covid vaccine soreness.

jhudak/Dwave:  That round-about made me chuckle.  They are starting to put those in around here (for cars), and they are the scariest things because nobody seems to know how to use them properly.  Doesn't help when there's ice on the roads.

Keen:  Good to hear you haven't had any plumbing/electrical issues.  Areas here were put on 30-minute rolling blackouts because apparently we are tied into the same electrical grid.  Did effect us at all, but did impact some areas of the city.  And the snow here is horrible for skiing, etc., but it looks like we might get a few inches tomorrow night, so maybe things will "improve" (but I really just want it all to go away at this point).

Got up in the mid-40s here today; felt like April (or early May).

Ian5

Darkwave-I was just looking at that roundabout and thinking what's the deal,then read it's a pedestrian roundabout? That makes no sense to me.We have tons of them for cars but never known a pedestrian one.

Great news here,looks like we can race again from March 29th,pity I'm not race fit but something to look forward to,and if all goes well then all restrictions lifted in June.Light at the end of the tunnel.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Darkwave-I was just looking at that roundabout and thinking what's the deal,then read it's a pedestrian roundabout? That makes no sense to me.We have tons of them for cars but never known a pedestrian one.

Great news here,looks like we can race again from March 29th,pity I'm not race fit but something to look forward to,and if all goes well then all restrictions lifted in June.Light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m guessing the roundabout is more for high speed cyclists, but most of them go through red lights anyway so probably a bit pointless. 

You think racing can start from 29th March??? I thought it was from 17th May but hope you’re right!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Mikkey-Pretty sure,this is where I got the info from

Here is the PDF of the new government guidelines.
                        https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf

Under 29th March, point 102 includes:  "Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies".  So, we will need to wait for EA to confirm, but it does look like races in a Covid secure environment should be allowed from 29th March.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OMR - There were some areas that were threatened with rolling blackouts (I wasn't included in that), but they didn't actually go through. The vast majority of the wind turbines that blight the landscape around here simply weren't operational (natural gas electrical stations in the area were just fine, of course). There were times when the wind was blowing too hard and they were shut down with the blades feathered, and other times when most were shut down for ice on the blades (turning laminar airflow into possibly damaging turbulent flow) and/or internals were just frozen.

It's quite strange to go from such prolonged (for the area) cold temperatures to highs in the 50s/60s and not even being forecasted to have more than a couple hours below freezing for the 10-day forecast.
                          Hopefully your weather clears up soon as well!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey-Pretty sure,this is where I got the info from

Here is the PDF of the new government guidelines.
                            https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf

Under 29th March, point 102 includes:  "Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies".  So, we will need to wait for EA to confirm, but it does look like races in a Covid secure environment should be allowed from 29th March.

I’ll be interested to hear the next Big Half update and how it would pan out with 16k+ runners as it would mean roads closed for the entire day if it was staggered starts. I’m not particularly bothered about that race but would be a bit pissed off if the Richmond marathon is postponed.

JT - Sorry to hear about the hamstring...that is the one twinge that I always dread the most...so don’t rush back into the faster workouts!

OMR - A few years ago I mixed elliptical with running during a marathon cycle when recovering from an injury...I remember doing a few marathon HR workouts and it was gruelling....but strangely satisfying!

Cinnamon -  That’s great to know that you being a key worker got your vaccine jab and hope that you recover from it soon. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

jhudak: you're brave to do 10 x 400s followed by a long run the next day if you felt your achilles last week and now planning a 5k TT? You sure about this? 

Thanks OMR and Mikkey - I was just exhausted for 2 days but I'm back to normal now  I'm more concerned about the second shot.

JT: how are you feeling?

jhudak: you're brave to do 10 x 400s followed by a long run the next day if you felt your achilles last week and now planning a 5k TT? You sure about this? 

Thanks OMR and Mikkey - I was just exhausted for 2 days but I'm back to normal now  I'm more concerned about the second shot.

JT: how are you feeling?

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes.

Hey Cinnamon, feeling better; finally walking normally, but still not ready to run again yet. Unfortunately I couldn;t get an appt with my PT until Monday; she is in high demand. But I've been trying to massage it each day, cross-fiber, to hopefully break things up. Great to hear you got to get vaccinated! I hope the 2nd shot is not as bad. My mom had no issues with the 2nd one.

2:52:16 (2018)