2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

There is so much going on in this picture:

- Girl on the right missed the message on the arm warmer color

- How does one choose the right direction of arm sleeves, because the two women with white chose opposite

- They even have matching sunglasses???

- Shorts guy: come on, wrong color orange

- Nice shoes by you! I'm sure you loved them during the race.

All three had matching tattoos on the left shoulder. I literally thought I was passing the same girl multiple times until someone pointed it out.

The direction of the arm sleeve depends on the direction of the logo. Underarmour was smart with their logo design as it works both ways. I personally believe the direction of the arm sleeve is "the smaller end goes near your wrist" because mine are tapered. If your's aren't you have to act as a sponsored athlete and have the logo in the most optimal position for the business to have their brand displayed. Much like "action sports" athletes who are required by contract to have a specific sized sticker in a specific location, and pricing reflects this (i.e. larger sticker in a highly photographed area is more expensive than a small sticker in an odd location).

Yes. I very much enjoyed the shoes. Excellent suggestion on your part. Even if they end up costing $1/mi. The laces are impressive and interesting. They didn't come untied and I think it's due to the "alligator teeth" design.

darkwave I personally give slower runners a thumbs up or high five or whatever I can. I know how far I've come since I started running and never forget being a 3:56 marathoner and how much my first half marathon hurt. The phrase "there out there doing the same distance, but it takes them even longer" really resonated with me. I got nice cool rags at mile 24 of Revel. My buddy who had to walk a lot said "yeah they were out of those and the water wasn't cold." The struggle of a marathon got REALLY real at that point. Almost as bad as saying they ran out of aid while I'm complaining about missing a water cup.

I'm trying not to rack up a list of races I want to do this summer. I'm reminding myself I have a wife and kids who don't want to spend all weekend waiting for dad to get home from his run so they can do things. An ultra DOES sound appealing though...because why not exercise for 6-15 hours. "it's in town. I don't even have to travel. I'll be home by dinner time after leaving before anyone wakes up. You could come see me for a few seconds."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It always fascinates me that people who are slower (and sometimes overweight) think the "faster" runners are judging them. We aren't! I'm so happy to see those people out there.

You know who I'm judging? The Chads out there who refuse to let you pass them, as they MUST be the fastest runner out there on any day! My favorite is when I'm running marathon pace workouts and they do everything they can to keep up with me. The longest I've had one of these guys last was about half a mile. But they love really "racing" me when I'm doing my easy runs in the 7:15 range.

DW - excited to take on Grandma's, the timing is just perfect for me to be careful with my recovery here from my injuries. You mentioned the dorms. What are the best other options? I know you said they kind of suck and are expensive, but want to see what's out there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - excited to take on Grandma's, the timing is just perfect for me to be careful with my recovery here from my injuries. You mentioned the dorms. What are the best other options? I know you said they kind of suck and are expensive, but want to see what's out there.

There's a big list on the website.  There are hotels, with the best options being either at the finish line, in downtown Duluth, or at the Miller Hill Mall. Each is going to be several hundred dollars a night.

Edited to add:

At Grandma's, the start and finish are separated by 25 miles.  You can stay at the start in 2 Harbours, but I don't recommend it for logistics, especially since the expo is near the finish.

Grandma's offers shuttles from the finish area in Canal park to the start, between each dorm and the start and finish lines, and between the Miller Hill Mall area and the start and finish areas (there may be some other shuttles as well).

I would not recommend staying in a place not near a shuttle - you could do so and drive into Canal Park in the morning, but that's adding the time and stress of finding parking there.

I also would not recommend staying in an Air-BNB.  There isn't that much housing in Duluth, and nothing outside of Duluth for many many miles - if your Air BNB cancels, you could be stuck camping in the parking lot near the finish (which some people do).  It's not like NYC, where in the worst case you can find a hotel in Brooklyn or NJ.

Here is a link to the guide for the 2021 race.  Pages 15 and 17 cover transportation.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It always fascinates me that people who are slower (and sometimes overweight) think the "faster" runners are judging them. We aren't! I'm so happy to see those people out there.

You know who I'm judging? The Chads out there who refuse to let you pass them, as they MUST be the fastest runner out there on any day! My favorite is when I'm running marathon pace workouts and they do everything they can to keep up with me. The longest I've had one of these guys last was about half a mile. But they love really "racing" me when I'm doing my easy runs in the 7:15 range.

Agreed.  I love seeing people out there who are clearly just starting out.  They're the ones who really need encouragement because the first month or so really sucks.

I've had plenty of Chads try to go with me, especially at easy pace.  Mostly I just find it funny, but now and then I decide to prove a point and progressively increase the pace until they're done.  Once when I was doing Vo2 Max intervals I passed a guy and heard him speed up to try and stay with me.  He flies past during my recovery then stops doubled over by the exit to the park.  As I jogged past I said "great effort mate, I'm doing 15 repeats if you're keen?"  I understand the impulse, especially when someone passes me at easy or recovery pace, but I care far more about my plan.  It's really just proving they're genuine hobby joggers without a plan.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JT - The 5k/10k races were 10-15F colder than CIM, which could account for some of the HR difference. It was only a couple bpm higher for the same distances as my marathon PR (which was 15F or so colder than CIM). I certainly wasn't working anywhere near 10k effort though, I felt like I was just cruising along without a care in the world.

DWave - I routinely had training runs (multiple per week) with more elevation gain than CIM had - loss was lesser, though, as all my runs were loops. Could have been a factor. Or perhaps I have the world's worst speed surplus in that my kinda hilly, windy 5k PR only suggests that I'm good for 3 hours flat.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think Marby is about to start. Good luck!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Marby through 5km in 21:22, bang on 3 hour pace.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Melbourne Marathon Live Stream

The forecast is for 26C (79F) but the conditions now with the early start couldn't be more perfect with a current temperature of 11C (52F).  The live stream shows barely a breath of wind.

Marby through 10km in 42:33, slight lift in pace with projected time of 2:59:31.

I love the live tracking!

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks for tracking Steve. Is there a website or you need the app?

Thanks for tracking Steve! Looks like great conditions and he's off to a perfect start.

2:52:16 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I can’t find it on the website but you can track on the Melbourne Marathon Festival app, bib 1462

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

https://www.sportsplits.com/races/melbourne-marathon-2021/events/1/results/individuals/1462

Found it.  Through 15km in 1:03:56.  Consistent pace with projected finish of 2:59:48

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Feeling very nostalgic for my old home town watching the live stream.  The course follows a lot of my old running routes, round Albert Park Lake and down the coast.

Marby through 20km in 1:25:17.  Perfect first half of the race, hopefully he's set himself up nicely.  Projected time 2:59:55.

2024 Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Splits of 21:21, 21:11, 21:22, and 21:21?  Ridiculously smooth.  I assume it's a pancake course?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

There's some small ups and downs particularly towards the end but no huge climbs.  Through halfway in 1:29:31 with a sudden surge of speed (3:52/km) which most likely is due to the mat being slightly out.

2024 Races: