2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marby - the other thing to consider with NZ is a lack of certified courses. I wouldn't run one there unless you know it is. And even if it is, anyones guess if it's actually measured correctly.

I heard that even their running tracks are inaccurate and only measure 380m per lap!

RP - I’ll read your RR at the weekend when I have a bit more spare time. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That wasn't meant as a joke Mark. I thought only one marathon was certified, but I guess I was wrong (maybe it was only one half, I don't know) . Maybe I'll rephrase it as: don't run a race in NZ unless it's on a track or certified, especially if you were making an international trip our of it.

I'm also not through that report. This weekend. Maybe.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Well, two years into the pandemic and I finally caught it...  Just mild cold symptoms that lasted for 3d...  I'm triple vaxed.

Current spike is very contagious (even if you're vaxed), but quite mild (especially if you're vaxed).

Maybe my new (natural) immunity will be a benefit down the road?

Mostly, it's just a nuisance for planning stuff....

Good to hear you are fine Rovatti. Let's hope these new strains get weaker.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

There are many certified races in NZ.  I wouldn't plan training for an NZ race if you're relying on a sensible border policy though.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I heard that even their running tracks are inaccurate and only measure 380m per lap!

No doubt you miss the good old days when tracks were 500m and uphill the whole way, in both directions.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well, two years into the pandemic and I finally caught it...  Just mild cold symptoms that lasted for 3d...  I'm triple vaxed.

Current spike is very contagious (even if you're vaxed), but quite mild (especially if you're vaxed).

NYC is insane right now, I feel like everyone has it. At this point, I actually want it for the reasons you said: give me the mild version and make me super immune. You are right it's more annoying for planning stuff.

Anyway, feel better. I'm sure you'll be good within a week.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Can't we all just go back to handling things like it was March 25, 2020? lock it all down, limit stores to 25% capacity, and close all businesses without massive financial connections to elected officials. Life was so much easier when going out to do anything at any time, other than running, wasn't allowed. Just keep daycares and schools open to 100% capacity because they're essential. Yeah, I'm THAT guy.

edited for ‘super immunity’

interesting news article.

https://mynews4.com/news/coronavirus/study-finds-breakthrough-cases-provide-super-immunity

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It’s surely a good thing that this new Omicron variant is milder/more contagious as it will give herd immunity. In the UK we’re most likely going into another lockdown because so many folk have tested positive for mild cold symptoms...but deaths haven’t gone up. 🤷‍♂️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No doubt you miss the good old days when tracks were 500m and uphill the whole way, in both directions.

I know mate, in the UK are track marathons are 28 miles...and I have proof. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/2358741670

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marathon Scott - Finally read your RR and congrats again on a great performance - I think the CIM course just brings out the best in you!

I think the “train where you’re at, not where you want to be” is always very good advice!  Have you ever run a half marathon?

And you stayed at a $426 per night hotel?  I would be expecting hookers and blow included at that price. 😳

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey I have run a few half marathons. I actually said I’d never run a full marathon after my first half marathon. My goal has been to get a Boston qualifier for a few years now, and I enjoyed the 6 to 8 mile (10-13k?) runs on lunch a lot. I have focused on the full, and I was signed up for a half in April 2020 and I’d planned to train specifically for it until covid 19. 
                          the hotel was an absolute ripoff. It was the only option I could find and was stubborn when cal offered to give me the information for the one he canceled. It was all my own fault, well partly my fault. I’m sure a metric tonne of the price has to do with the race not happening last year AND covid 19 making everything more expensive after hotels not being allowed to operate for a while.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

I know mate, in the UK are track marathons are 28 miles...and I have proof. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/2358741670

Hahaha.

GPS drift screws up those track measurements something terrible... when I last raced a 5,000m in 2019, my watch thought I'd run almost an extra lap. Having said that, I'm picking you still would've run further on that track marathon than any road marathon.  Over 105 laps (!!!) running anything less than the perfect line in lane 1 will add up... a lot.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - I finally had time to read that report. I didn't want to just skim it: I needed the full Marathon Scott report. I would need my own 500+ word post to respond to everything in there. So many good cultural references (star power being one of my favorite) but just a great insight into your approach and I loved very minute of that report.

I think more importantly, you know what works for you. I train so differently than you, but we get to the same place. You keep doing you.

And finally: maybe the doubt is good for you, maybe not. But this was the best lesson you could have had that you will go through valleys in training if you train like you (and I do) : the ultimate lazy man off-season. But who the fuck cares: all that matters is you perform on race day, and you always do.

Congrats again, perhaps the best race of 2021 in this entire thread.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - I finally had time to read that report. I didn't want to just skim it: I needed the full Marathon Scott report. I would need my own 500+ word post to respond to everything in there. So many good cultural references (star power being one of my favorite) but just a great insight into your approach and I loved very minute of that report.

I think more importantly, you know what works for you. I train so differently than you, but we get to the same place. You keep doing you.

And finally: maybe the doubt is good for you, maybe not. But this was the best lesson you could have had that you will go through valleys in training if you train like you (and I do) : the ultimate lazy man off-season. But who the fuck cares: all that matters is you perform on race day, and you always do.

Congrats again, perhaps the best race of 2021 in this entire thread.

Thanks. It's just a little insight into how I get through marathons. I still think everyone else is an adult and stays laser focused on racing while I'm off in "LaLa Land" being a kid.

Honestly, I think the only thing working for me is running. Running is one of the few things I can do and not be afraid to be wrong. If I fail, I fail and move on. I continue to prove myself wrong, and I can experiment with whatever I want whenever I want without needing to justify it to anyone. I've taken the advice from the people here and found out it works so I keep doing it. I almost think I'm trying to constantly prove every wrong, but with running I'm more helpful to myself. I think some of the self doubt is the tone. Saying "Can you really run 2:58 today" can be an insulting question, or an impressed one. One of disbelief, and one of complete amazement. Once the race actually starts it's time to put all the hours training to work otherwise "why the fuck are we here, and what the fuck are we training for?" I sometimes think if I was on a good college team I might not have been the best, but I might have been the one everyone wanted to watch because of races like CIM 2021.

The doubt is just there because I refuse to accept the attitude I expect a sub 3 marathoner to have. The "I'm here to race. Don't talk to me because you don't spend $250 on super shoes, and don't eat 20 milers for a late night snack. I run in 1" shorts for better range of motion. Get those Kirkland Signature basketball shorts off my certified course."  It's weird and sadly carries into a lot of personal life. I think the second greatest thing I did in 2021 was give up on trying to convince anyone they're line of thinking was wrong. I just brush it all off as a "you're the guy in the park with the sign saying change my mind, and you will actually argue any point. It's what people absolutely hated about me, constantly pointed to for any negative term they could use against me, then did it themselves without taking anything I said into mind.'

Maybe for my next trick I'll try to figure out when I can qualify for the TCS New York Marathon 2023. Wouldn't THAT be something to see...since it would be the same bullshit as Boston and I don't get any extra time because I pick these stupid ass bullshit goals when I'm young so I can't sand bag them. Any suggestions on what I should do for a mid life "I'm turning 40" crisis?

VDOT 53.37