2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Go for the half marathon time for NYC! Although for you, you run so much better at distance that the NYC marathon time is probably easier for you than the half time.

I see NZ closing their borders for even longer, so definitely need to avoid that Marby.

My right hip is seeing slow, jagged improvement. It's mainly getting better though, and I've been able to up my runs to 45 minutes for now. The stress reaction is definitely healed, just need to keep working on the side effects of all of that and the hip impingement / torn labrum, as that's the only thing left bothering me. It's still a very long road back to being ready to run the 71-85 MPW 2Q JD plan I was running. Best case, I'll be there in late February.

But hey, it's December 21, so there are only brighter days ahead.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I don't think you comprehend how fast a 1:22 half marathon is for someone who runs a 1:29 half marathon. Also, I expect you to do quite well since you have a 12 month training cycle for CIM 2022. I'll come spectate along the course and yell awkward things at you to keep you motivated. Glad you're able to improve. Sitting on the couch just isn't your style. Maybe you should do a "run you zipcode" thing in the big apple. Gets you out of the park and makes nice pretty squares for your runs.

My brother in law told me he is getting married in Christchurch in November 2022. I HIGHLY doubt it for multiple reasons, and if I end up going there I'll be expecting a guided tour of the area.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

I see NZ closing their borders for even longer, so definitely need to avoid that Marby.

Once again we are just delaying the inevitable.  Only this time a bunch of people (mostly returning residents) had booked flights on the basis the border opening date was locked in.  At some point you have to question whether it's actually legal.  At the moment, even NZ residents and passport holders can only get into the country if they manage to get a spot in MIQ via a lottery which is ridiculously (and unsurprisingly) oversubscribed.  People accepted this was necessary as a short term measure but... 20 months isn't exactly short-term.

RP - my brother lives in NY and was planning to come home for my dad's 70th in June.  Hard to see that happening.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hahaha.

GPS drift screws up those track measurements something terrible... when I last raced a 5,000m in 2019, my watch thought I'd run almost an extra lap. Having said that, I'm picking you still would've run further on that track marathon than any road marathon.  Over 105 laps (!!!) running anything less than the perfect line in lane 1 will add up... a lot.

I only run on a track when I’m visiting my parents as there’s one about half a mile behind their house which is obviously very convenient!  But the GPS drift is always crazy...my 19:11 5000m earlier this year gave a Garmin reading of 3.35 miles/5:43 pace. 

Marathon Scott - Suggestions for I’m turning 40 crisis?  Get rid of your truck and buy a motorbike...it doesn’t need to be a Harley as an off road trail bike would be sufficient. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Once again we are just delaying the inevitable.  Only this time a bunch of people (mostly returning residents) had booked flights on the basis the border opening date was locked in.  At some point you have to question whether it's actually legal.  At the moment, even NZ residents and passport holders can only get into the country if they manage to get a spot in MIQ via a lottery which is ridiculously (and unsurprisingly) oversubscribed.  People accepted this was necessary as a short term measure but... 20 months isn't exactly short-term.

RP - my brother lives in NY and was planning to come home for my dad's 70th in June.  Hard to see that happening.

I know an Australian resident who was concerned she wouldn’t be allowed to return home just a week ago. It’s like ‘why can’t I as a resident come home? If quarantines work why can’t I return? If quarantines DONT’T work why are you mandating them?’ 

I don’t think my brother in law comprehends the impact of his wedding overseas and literally cannot pick any other day so he’ll be at the courthouse videoing it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Based on what I'm seeing in NYC, Omicron is a great development in COVID. I don't know how lowly vaccinated areas will do, but it seems like everyone has it here and it's all mild (for most people). So different than what we experience in March/April 2020.

Mark - is your brother a USA citizen or NZ? If he's NZ, how can NZ ban its own citizens from coming back? Seems illegal but I'd look to actual lawyers.

Mikkey - if you buy a bike for 40, what do you sell that bike for at 50?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac they close the borders, except not in the United States way. They actually close them.

https://covid19.govt.nz/travel/international-travel-and-transit/travel-to-new-zealand/#:~:text=The%20New%20Zealand%20borders%20are%20closed%20to%20almost,a%20New%20Zealand%20resident%20with%20valid%20travel%20conditions.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/border-closures-and-exceptions/entry-to-new-zealand/critical-purpose-reasons-you-can-travel-to-new-zealand

it’s like Biden closing travel from South Africa, except you can’t just go to a different country and fly in from there. They are closing their borders. Like a club with bouncers outside. You have to have the bouncers approval to get into the club.

edit: I can only imagine how wrong it would be for the U it’s States President to do the same travel ban New Zealamd is doing ‘due to Covid 19’ and I remember the exemption Joe Biden was given by society when compared to President Donald Trump’s ‘Muslim Ban.’ 

omicron has hit my county. I’m not shocked it made it here and there is literally no change. It’s almost being downplayed as a ‘nothing to see here’ news article. Third case in the state yet March 2020 with no vaccine we had to close stores and wait outside in sub-freezing temps to hope we could buy toilet paper.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - if you buy a bike for 40, what do you sell that bike for at 50?

A mobility scooter?

When I look at how other countries are reacting and seeing firsthand what Spain has become, I think I’ll stay put next year.  At least England has stayed fairly civilised (for now anyway) and you can still go into a bar/restaurant/cafe/gym without needing an iPhone. I’m old school and hate carrying a phone with me everywhere.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

When I look at how other countries are reacting and seeing firsthand what Spain has become, I think I’ll stay put next year.  At least England has stayed fairly civilised (for now anyway) and you can still go into a bar/restaurant/cafe/gym without needing an iPhone. I’m old school and hate carrying a phone with me everywhere.

My favorite vacation of the year is when we go to Vermont here in the northeast and I just leave my phone in the hotel room all day. If I need the news, I pick up the newspaper at the lodge. It's so refreshing not being bombarded all the time with nonsense. I find it very sad when everyone is out to a lunch or dinner and just looking at their phones, scrolling through Instagram. I also don't even think it's a generational thing: some people I see the most addicted to their phones are retired. Can't get enough of those Facebook memes I guess.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My favorite vacation of the year is when we go to Vermont here in the northeast and I just leave my phone in the hotel room all day. If I need the news, I pick up the newspaper at the lodge. It's so refreshing not being bombarded all the time with nonsense. I find it very sad when everyone is out to a lunch or dinner and just looking at their phones, scrolling through Instagram. I also don't even think it's a generational thing: some people I see the most addicted to their phones are retired. Can't get enough of those Facebook memes I guess.

It's the easiest way for them to interact with grandchildren. Some grandparents aren't very involved in their grandchildren's lives beyond liking a photo, sending a check with a birthday card, and watching 14 second video clips.

VDOT 53.37 

This is crazy, how will you play candy crush on a newspaper 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I look back fondly at the vacations my wife and I had with no internet or cell phones. No news/no shoes holidays in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Maldives....absolute bliss!

I feel blessed that I’ve had a good life before all this bullshit started!

And don’t get me on how much better music was back in the day. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My favorite time with phones was like 2010. It was where it had all the amazing benefits (e.g. texting, GPS directions, and Internet to look things up) but not a ton of the BS of a thousand social media apps.

Mikkey my favorite holiday by far has been an African safari. How can you top just sitting in the African Savanah, eating lunch, with a bunch of impala off in the distance grazing? Or just sitting watching 3 lion cubs wrestling with each other? We honestly never even recorded that stuff. I can always find the video of a cub playing online. It's like these idiots who all record concerts. Nobody wants to see a shitty video of a band from a terrible angle with 500 other phones in the way so you can show you were there on Instagram. How about you put the phone down and actually enjoy the concert? It's like my dinner comment: you go to dinner so that you can text other people? What's the point of going to dinner in the first place???

Ugh I'm officially a master outside the US, I guess this is what happens. The ranting only increases . But hey, now I just need to break 2:35 next year to get my moose mug, then I can really ride off into the sunset. Will it be at Grandma's at a warm marathon after a stress reaction / labral tear and lower training? Or will it be at NYC on a much harder course, but more miles under my belt? Maybe neither, and instead at Boston 2023?? Looking forward to it all.

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac You are getting kind of cranky. I think you need to relax and just let other people enjoy their lives and events how THEY want to. Just because YOU enjoy looking up videos from other people's trips doesn't mean THEY do. Why record your daughter walking/running/singing/dancing/crying/jumping/living when you can just look up videos of kids doing those things? Bro, like chill out. Go live your best life and don't worry about others living theirs. Honestly, they care  less about your opinion of them living their life the way they want to than you care being told their reasoning for experiencing the moment their way. I learned this due to covid 19. seriously.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac

Can't joke too much, as I'm in complete agreement.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: