2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

jhudak55

jhudak: you're brave to do 10 x 400s followed by a long run the next day if you felt your achilles last week and now planning a 5k TT? You sure about this? 

Cinnamon - You're right about this, but I can usually take some rest/very easy days and the achilles will take care of itself. When I had the flare, I stupidly decided to stick to the schedule.

Keen - I have a track in mind that I know will be open. I'm considering a 5k which will probably have limited participants and be run in groups of 10. This will more than likely end up being a solo event as well with so few participants.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Keen - I have a track in mind that I know will be open. I'm considering a 5k which will probably have limited participants and be run in groups of 10. This will more than likely end up being a solo event as well with so few participants.

Are you considering the Bishops Events 5K this weekend on Hains Point?  I'm hopping into that one.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ian5

Mikkey-I wouldn't be confident about Big Half,even though it is allowed PR wise it wouldn't look good having so many people together,but I think Richmond will be fine.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

jhudak55

Are you considering the Bishops Events 5K this weekend on Hains Point?  I'm hopping into that one.

Yes, but I was considering their 5k on Hains on 3/7. I've run one other race (half marathon) with them last February and I was alone after mile 3 because there weren't many running.

I think they have good races if you choose the course carefully and aren't expecting too much. Have you run any races with Bishop Events?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think they have good races if you choose the course carefully and aren't expecting too much. Have you run any races with Bishop Events?

This was exactly my experience - I've done two of their 5Ks in the past few months.  They start them off on time and clearly mark the start and turnarounds.  The other two races weren't certified courses, but they didn't claim they were.  For HP, I'm assuming they'll just use the certified course as marked.

For the 5Ks, there were a few people in the 18:30-20:00 range.  Not enough to have a pack to race in, but it provides someone ahead to chase.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Heh - thought of JHudak this morning.  Just so you (JHudak) know - they aren't using the posted Hains Point course for those Bishops Events races.  At least they didn't today.  Instead they had us start/finish in a parking lot, with a few extra turns (here's my race report, complete with map of the start/finish).    If you use that race for your time trial next week, and they do the same thing, I recommend either a) being very aggressive at the start to get ahead of your wave or b) starting about 10-15 seconds behind your wave so that you don't catch up to them until you are on Ohio Drive and have room to maneuver.

Ran the race in 20:06, which is significantly slower than I expected to run.  But it is what it is, and it's something to build off of.    Splits were 6:42/6:30/6:17 on a pancake flat course with no wind, which indicates some poor execution on my part.

DW: Your race report was a good read as always. As you noted, with those positive splits you probably left a lot of time on the table.  Anyway, congrats on the win, that is a great accomplishment regardless of the time!

My week: Ended on a good note regarding the hamstring. Started with week only able walk at incline on the treadmill, and mixed in a few days off to let it heal. Also lots of cross-friction massage to help break up the scar tissue. I cautiously went from a walk to a run on Thursday on the mill, then a run outside Friday. I had dull pain throughout that run and had to slow down the second half as it started to feel like it was increasing. Went back to the mill to play it safe yesterday and that went well. Today I ran outside, not sure how far I would be able to go and just playing it by ear, but it felt great throughout and I managed a decent long run. I have an appt with my PT tomorrow and hopefully she can further break up the scar tissue. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do fast running again but at least I can get in easy miles for now.

Weekly for period: From: 02/22/2021 To 02/28/2021

Date Name Distance
                in mi
                Duration Avg Pace
                per mi
                Elevation Gain
                in ft
                Tue TM: 15% incline walk 4.05 1:10:08 17:19 0
                Thu Morning Run - walk to gradual run - 5% incline 6.82 1:10:09 10:17 0
                Fri Morning Run 8.02 1:09:52 8:43 433
                Sat Morning Run: 4-7% incline 11.02 1:31:22 8:17 0
                Sun Long run 18.03 2:24:51 8:02 961

Total distance: 47.94 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - *mostly copy pasta from sub-90* 12 hours seems reasonable in that light. I'll let my wife know that if I'm driving to a 5k I'll look for races as far out as Denver, or Anchorage if I'm willing to fly.
                  Good read on the RR, and interesting experience regarding it all.

JT - Great that your hamstring is showing good progress, and hopefully the PT tomorrow helps out as well.

Feels pretty good to have a regular week again. Good workout on Tuesday, then a solid TT Friday. Plenty of room to improve on the 5k distance, but I like where I'm at for now.
                  Just under 2 weeks until my half. Any suggestions for workouts this week and next? Since I should have plenty of room to recover after a big Monday workout, I'm thinking something like 3x 15 min T.

Date Name Distance
                  in mi
                  Duration Avg Pace
                  per mi
                  Elevation Gain
                  in ft
                  02/22/2021 2 rabbits & hundreds of geese on the frozen pond 10.10 01:25:18 08:27 354
                  02/23/2021 2x 12 min T, 10 min T, 5 min T 11.76 01:23:35 07:06 302
                  02/23/2021 Vitamin D! 2.25 00:18:20 08:09 95
                  02/24/2021 2 deer (2 strides) & 1 skunk 8.30 01:08:30 08:15 397
                  02/24/2021 This morning's missing miles 2.25 00:18:48 08:21 121
                  02/25/2021 Moonset, sunrise, & 1 hawk 8.50 01:11:29 08:25 463
                  02/26/2021 Next time I'm getting a drawstring bag to carry the fancy shoes 1.50 00:11:36 07:44 20
                  02/26/2021 5,000m Time Trial, Han style 3.15 00:18:56 06:01 43
                  02/26/2021 3 ducks 5.10 00:39:45 07:48 164
                  02/27/2021 4 deer (4 strides) & too much fog to see anything else 16.11 02:10:38 08:07 623
                  02/28/2021 1 hawk 2.75 00:22:35 08:13 112

Total distance: 71.78mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My week: Ended on a good note regarding the hamstring. Started with week only able walk at incline on the treadmill, and mixed in a few days off to let it heal. Also lots of cross-friction massage to help break up the scar tissue. I cautiously went from a walk to a run on Thursday on the mill, then a run outside Friday. I had dull pain throughout that run and had to slow down the second half as it started to feel like it was increasing. Went back to the mill to play it safe yesterday and that went well. Today I ran outside, not sure how far I would be able to go and just playing it by ear, but it felt great throughout and I managed a decent long run. I have an appt with my PT tomorrow and hopefully she can further break up the scar tissue. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do fast running again but at least I can get in easy miles for now.

That actually sounds like really good progress.  You've come a long way in a week with it!  Fingers crossed the trend continues.

BTW, thought of you also.  I got Fluffy the treadmill repaired on Friday.  Tech was talking the whole time, with a lot of interesting comments.

a) He noted that Landices were just spectacularly reliable ("I almost never work on them.  And I know there's a lot of them out there.  They just don't ever need to be fixed.")

b) Even though I've had a long saga of poor customer service with Horizon, he noted that I was much better off with them than with NordicTrack ("if this was a NordicTrack, you'd still be waiting.")

c) he informed me that I didn't need a treadmill as big or strong as mine is (60x22 in belt, 4 CHP motor).  Since I'm short I could do with a lot smaller machine and lower power motor.  I decided to let that one go.  I've run on a shorter belt before, and I didn't like it.

My week: 45 miles, 1500 yards swimming, and 2 hours of pool-running
                    M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                    T: 12 miles on the treadmill, including 6x0.5 mile with 2:30 jog in 3:09, 3:08. 3:07, 3:09, 3:07, 3:06. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming
                    W: 10 miles very easy (9:09), drills and 6 strides.
                    Th: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
                    F: 7 miles, including a 1600 on the track in 6:30 (half-marathon/10 mile effort). Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.
                    Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:04).
                    Su: 4 mile warm-up; 5K in 20:06, 5 miles easy. Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming and 20 minutes pool-running.

My next goal race is a half-marathon that should happen on April 2.  But...I have good news that may unfortunately affect it.  I got pinged on Friday that my group is now up to get vaccinated - I'm scheduled for my first shot on Wednesday (so yay!!!).

But...I don't know whether I'm getting Moderna or Pfizer - it depends on what the county receives that week.  If I get Moderna, then the second shot is 4 weeks later, which will be right before my goal half-marathon.    If so, then so be it - I'm really fortunate to be getting vaccinated.  But I am crossing my fingers for Pfizer and 3 weeks between shots.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - I like 3x15 minutes or 4 miles at HMP.  Probably the second a little better. But what you are doing is clearly working.

Your run titles require explanations?  Drawstring bag?  I have one if you really need it...

Date Name Distance
                      in mi
                      Duration Avg Pace
                      per mi
                      Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      02/22/2021 2 rabbits & hundreds of geese on the frozen pond 10.10 01:25:18 08:27 354
                      02/23/2021 2x 12 min T, 10 min T, 5 min T 11.76 01:23:35 07:06 302
                      02/23/2021 Vitamin D! 2.25 00:18:20 08:09 95
                      02/24/2021 2 deer (2 strides) & 1 skunk 8.30 01:08:30 08:15 397
                      02/24/2021 This morning's missing miles 2.25 00:18:48 08:21 121
                      02/25/2021 Moonset, sunrise, & 1 hawk 8.50 01:11:29 08:25 463
                      02/26/2021 Next time I'm getting a drawstring bag to carry the fancy shoes 1.50 00:11:36 07:44 20
                      02/26/2021 5,000m Time Trial, Han style 3.15 00:18:56 06:01 43
                      02/26/2021 3 ducks 5.10 00:39:45 07:48 164
                      02/27/2021 4 deer (4 strides) & too much fog to see anything else 16.11 02:10:38 08:07 623
                      02/28/2021 1 hawk 2.75 00:22:35 08:13 112

Total distance: 71.78mi

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Your treadmill tech's comments make me feel better regarding the ~15 y/o Landice in my garage.

Will you be able to find out which shot you have the opportunity to take prior to your appointment?

I carried the endorphin pros I wore for the TT in my hands the mile from my house to the track and back before ditching them for the rest of my cool-down. I have some drawstring bags I could (should) have used for this, I just didn't think of it until I was halfway to the track.
                        Also, "Han Style", for anyone wanting clarification, is a really bad joke meaning "solo".

4 at HM effort it is! Partially because you favor it, partially because it's just one I haven't done before.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - Your treadmill tech's comments make me feel better regarding the ~15 y/o Landice in my garage.

Will you be able to find out which shot you have the opportunity to take prior to your appointment?

He was raving about Landices.  Completely unsolicited.

No idea.  I show up and they tell me.  Which is understandable.  I think they don't want people picking and choosing which one (especially since the Pfizer and Moderna are so similar).  i.e. you tell someone they're getting Pfizer, and they wanted Moderna for some reason, so they no-show. The county wants (and we need) shots in arms.

Interestingly, the rumor is that when we get the J&J one that just got approved, that one will be given at a different site and you will know if you are getting it ahead of time.  That's supposedly because it's a live vaccine, so some people who can get Moderna or Pfizer can't get J&J.

Ian5

Darkwave- Congrats on the win,it may not have been the time you wanted but great getting the win knowing you have more to give.

JT-Good to hear you are on the mend,long may it continue.

CK-That's a really good weekly mileage,what do you normally aim for in a training cycle?

I had a decent week,my highest mileage since September and managed a couple of runs where I put a little effort in.No bike rides to confuse people this week 😁

The PF gives ne a little soreness in the morning but it's generally gone by the time I get to work,so my theory is that I'm ok to keep running if the pain doesn't get worse after each run or during the run,I can't feel it at all during the run.

Date Name Distance
                            in mi
                            Duration Avg Pace
                            per mi
                            Elevation Gain
                            in ft
                            02/23/2021 Can you get marathon ready in 10 weeks? 🤔😥 8.77 01:11:49 08:11 384
                            02/24/2021 Afternoon Run 8.83 01:12:36 08:13 384
                            02/25/2021 Afternoon Run 8.82 01:13:23 08:19 384
                            02/26/2021 2 easy,3 faster then jog home 6.78 00:50:46 07:29 285
                            02/28/2021 Lunch Run inc 5 Rest Hill loops 13.42 01:52:24 08:23 906

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Good job  DW & JT

Commander- I really like that your runs are marked by the animals you spotted!

Ian - The pain associated with PF is the result of fluid pinching the nerve.  The pain goes away when you run as the fluid drains away and comes flooding back when you finish.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I've had a history with it that led to a metatarsal stress fracture from running high mileage on it while it changed my form temporarily.  For me, the only thing that ended it was my foot in a boot for the fracture and tearing the other one on a run.  It's rough, hang in there.

I have managed to put a couple of good weeks together with running 5 days out of each 7 day week with a 7 mile "long" run on the weekends.  Progress is slow but progress is progress so I am happy.  7.2 mile run today was averaging 7:42 pace and felt controlled.

cinnamon girl

M: 9 mi (8:03) +390 ft   
                                T: 7 mi (8:43) +260 ft        
                                W: 7.5 mi (8:20) +285 ft        
                                T: 7.5 mi easy +350 ft with 6 short/fast (~40 sec/5:2x) on flat – fartlek style intersection to intersection   
                                F: 7.5 mi (8:31) +350 ft    
                                S: 8 mi (8:15) flat
                                S: 12 mi (7:27) 801, 754, 749, 742, 741, 730, 717, 707, 715, 659, 709, 654. 1 mi c/d. flat
                                This weekend I took a break from my hilly routes, drove to the valley and ran along the river for the first time. I was wondering what elevation it is at - it’s still at 3900 ft. The 400 ft lower and flat will be nice though. Sunday I was just planning on 13 easy – 8:00 to 8:20 or whatever it would take. But after the 2nd mile it seemed like the legs felt like running again so I took a chance and went with it. After 6 weeks of returning to running - it felt good to get in a sustained effort – it’s been a long while!

Keen: looking at workouts like what you did on 2/9 and your weekly mileage, I would do 2 x 3 mi HMP with 4 min rest this week. Then either 800s at 10k and/or 400s at 5k early on in race week, something faster than HMP.  I wouldn’t run longer than 90 min for your long run. Or something like that - but feel free to disagree! There are so many options.

JT: good to hear about the hamstring and that you’re able to get in tomorrow.