2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - given all your running, I'm guessing your COVID is about as light as it comes. Glad to see it. Sign up for Grandma's!

RP - that was a very serious response for a very silly  / non-serious rant! Just trying to fill these boards during this very dead season of marathon training.

I'm going to set up the new thread soon. This one has run it's course. However, one tradition I always like a year in review, so here's mine:

My year was the ultimate roller coaster. I ran a total of 207 miles for all of January, February, and March. Things kicked into gear in the spring. I didn't run really any good races throughout the summer though. Even by late September, I was a bit worried with my progress, but I saw a ton of growth in October and ran my HM PR in mid-October.

In a case of ultimate jinxing, I said on these boards this was the strongest I've ever felt in a marathon cycle. I had none of the real dead leg feeling, nothing beyond the smallest niggles, and my mileage was as consistent as ever. Of course that all came crashing down with my stress injury, with no opportunity to see if I could run a PR in the marathon. It actually was a lesson for me that maybe running very consistent mileage wasn't the best fit. I only cut my down weeks to 80% of mileage, instead of my usual 40-70%. So that's a big takeaway for me next year: be more lazy during down weeks in the middle of a cycle.

Mileage this year (projected 1960) is my lowest since 2016. Not surprising with my Q1 numbers and 4 weeks out with this injury (and a slow recovery since then). I am still very excited to train for a marathon again, which shows me it's nowhere near retirement time.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Couldn't agree more about enjoying the moment rather than recording it.  There will always be a better video of exactly the same thing somewhere.  And I think you may have been born as a cranky old soul so I wouldn't expect to see too many changes.

Our govt doesn't care about enacting illegal policies.  They really are shameless.  They came into power promising to be the most open and transparent govt ever, and appointed a Minister for Open and Transparent govt, who had to resign within a year for having secret meetings with the head of the State owned radio station about content.  The position doesn't exist anymore....at least with you in power next year there will be no such promises made.

With all racing done for 2021, it makes sense to kick off the 2022 threads.  It would be great to see no important cancellations in 2022.  NZ is the most likely place to be stuck in the 2020/21 funk of course.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

I accomplished some massive goals. 5k PR, 10kPR, back to back half marathon PRs during my Marathon PR. I actually ended up running the year in miles (more currently) and I think this board, and the people who tolerate me here, are the number two reason why. Ultimately it's all me on race day but there is a LARGE amount of credit I attribute my success to on this website. It is probably the greatest year in running I've ever had and I never told anyone here but in March 2021 I told my wife "I'm probably not getting in to Boston so I'll just requalify at CIM. I have 9 months to get into sub 3 shape."

JMac I can occasionally be serious in a "non-blunt" manner. Truthfully, after working from home, and now returning to the office, I've learned a ton of people I THOUGHT cared don't actually give a flying fuck about anything in my life. They're content excluding me and when people ask questions to me they don't actually give a shit what my answer is because they've ultimately made up their mind the question was rhetorical after I asked it. So just let people do their thing knowing they couldn't care less about you. Opinions are like farts. We all have them and they all stink.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - Couldn't agree more about enjoying the moment rather than recording it.  There will always be a better video of exactly the same thing somewhere.  And I think you may have been born as a cranky old soul so I wouldn't expect to see too many changes.

I hear ya. Nothing worse than someone watching a concert through a phone screen so they can then put the footage on YouTube and get like 8 views. Tours from international bands to NZ weren’t that common even before the pandemic, if you’re gonna fork out for concert tickets, you’re there to enjoy the show!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Merry Christmas, and day after Christmas, to everyone.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT - Thanks for being a great thread leader this year - looking at the table and we ended up with 5 Sub3 marathons out of 13 and you ran 2 of them!  But I think the percentage will be much higher next year. 👍

Happy Boxing Day to everyone!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Merry Christmas/Boxing day/whatever.  (our cats like box day).

I'll drop off two weeks since I didn't get around to posting last week.   Life has been very busy.

In rehab news, I started physical therapy - they watched me run on a treadmill and agreed that my issues looked neurologic (to the point where they would have sent me to a neurologist, except that I had been referred to them by one....)   My running muscles are just firing out of sync - my leg muscles contract and then don't relax, or contract at the wrong time.  They've got me doing a whole bunch of exercises that focus on firing muscles in the correct order, along with glute strength stuff.

I've gotten MRIs of the brain and cervical/thoracic areas of the spine that didn't seem to indicate much (I haven't talked to the doctor yet, but I've read the report).  Another doctor ordered MRIs of the lumbar spine and pelvis just to be complete, but he isn't expecting much helpful info from those.  So I'll do those, and complete the PT, and then decide next steps.

I am NOT doing a review of my year.  Looking forward instead.

Week 1: 34 miles running, 5 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 80 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga
                T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 2x1200 in 9:01, 5:11, 5:13. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                W: 4 miles (10:13)
                Th: 1:40 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                F: 9 miles, with a tempo workout of 2 miles, 1 mile in 13:57 (7:02/6:55) and 6:52. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                Sa: 7 miles (9:36), streaming yoga, and 4 miles (9:29) plus drills/strides.
                Su: 2 hours pool-running and upper body weights/core.

Week 2: 61 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and 1500 yards swimming.

M: 3 miles on treadmill (10:03) and 1 hour pool-running.
                T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 800, 1600, 800, 400 in 8:49, 3:17, 6:42, 3:12, and 1:33. Recoveries of 6 minutes after the 2000 and 1600, and 3 minute recovery after the first 800. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                W: Upper body weights/core and 10 miles (9:37) plus drills and 4 hill sprints.
                Th: 2 hours pool-running and streaming yoga.
                F: 11 miles, including a track tempo of 6400m in 28:03, split as 7:15/7:03/6:57/6:48. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                Sa: 10 miles (9:36) plus drills and strides
                Su: 14 miles progressive split as first 5 miles averaging 10:00, next 4 miles averaging 8:27, next 5 miles averaging 7:27. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Darkwave wow! Muscles firing at the wrong time sounds awkward. Is there any plan for trying to get things into sync? Do you need a marathon Scott to come help out, or are you trying new things with the physical therapist each session? Ordering an MRI not expected to help sounds like a waste of time. “I just want to be sure” should be followed by an offer to pay since they want to be helpful...or not.

edit: my weeks are going good. If lightly decided to do a running streak for a year and see how it goes. Today was hard. Ice. Snow. Feels like 22 plus. 10 to 15 mph winds from all directions. I can defiantly recommend YaxTrax spikes after today’s run. Nothing like leaning into a cross wind while on snow covered ice to make you test a set of spikes.

VDOT 53.37 

Marby

Ash

RP:  Thanks for those very generous reports and the insights into the race and Marathon Scott. Such a ballsy pacing decision so early in the race.

Darkwave: The Physio approach sounds logical, hope that does it.

Jmac: Thanks for taking on the 2022 thread for marathon maniacs!

I didn’t run for 9 and a half days following the marathon.  The trigger to run again was being able to walk downstairs with zero awareness and it took that long!  The runs on Wed, Fri & Sat felt a bit off but by Sun all was good. I feel refreshed and ready to get stuck in.

2021: A solid base for 2022. In a year where stuff kept on getting postponed or cancelled, I managed to get in a 50km race and two marathons.  I’ll end up having run 800 miles more than any other single calendar year and not far short of my combined total for the last 4 years.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marby - I love your new sig line. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Marby - A bit of advice from a veteran....walk down stairs backwards after a marathon. 👍

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marby - I love your new sig line. 

Didn't even catch that, and agreed, love it 

I'm starting the new thread today. Head over there and introduce yourself, and hopefully we get some newcomers!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

VDOT 53.37 

Frumbley

For me, this is a very cool and interesting phrase "We are just delaying the inevitable again."

There are quite a few topics about immigration here.

Arrynard

Good article, thanks