2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

'm interested in your experience with the Adios 5; how do you think it compares with the Adios 4? I'm torn between the Adios 4 and the Endorphin Pro for my marathon; though the Adios is not a "supershoe" I feel like I might be a tiny bit faster in it than the Endorphin. If the Adios 5 is better than the 4 it may be the clear winner.

So.... the 4 and the 5 are different.

Basically, the Adios Boost has always had a "torsion plate."  In versions 1 and 2, the plate extended up into the forefoot, resulting in a pretty stiff shoe with some spring at push-off.  In versions 3 and 4, the plate was pulled back some so that the shoe was more flexible, while in version 5 it's back into the forefoot.

The big difference between the 2 and the 5 is that the 2 used Boost foam, while the 5 uses a combination of Boost and Lightstrike Foam.  The Boost in my experience has a better feel - the Lightstrike just feels clunkier.

The end result is that the Adios 5 feels like a slightly thicker, clunkier version of the Adios 2.

For me, I would go with the Adios 5 over the Endorphin Pro over the Adios 4.  But that's because I really like that stiff foot feeling that I get from the torsion plate extending all the way to the forefoot.  I just wish the 5 was a bit less clunky and closer to the Adios 2.

The Adios 5s are selling for about 80 dollars on closeout right now, so they're a great deal if you like them (I'm about to stock up on several more pairs).

Marby - I'm glad you're back from the strained calf.  I assume you're tapering now?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jhudak55

Good week for you!  I'm assuming this was one of the Arlington tracks? I've heard that they're now closed to non-school kids from 3:30 to 7:30 or 8 pm each weeknight, which really sucks for afternoon/evening runners.

This was a Fairfax County PS track. I did have a brief conversation with the administrator who was overseeing the event regarding availability for public use. He said the tracks at all FCPS are open to the public except during games on the field, track and field practice and PE class which is using the track. I was able to run on the track through the warmups for the field hockey game right up until the game actually started. I thought this was a pretty favorable policy.

I'm not sure why the Arlington tracks changed to being closed in the afternoons.

Marby: I'm glad the calf strain is healed and you're back running. Let me know if you want that 50k race on the table.

DW: Thanks for the review on the Adios 5. I just ordered a pair. Reading through some of the online reviews was interesting: some said it was a real disappointment compared to the 3 and 4, not as fast and responsive. Others said it was great and an improvement. It will be interesting to try it out!

2:52:16 (2018)

cinnamon girl

M: rest 
          T: 9 mi (8:10) flat
          W: 9 mi (8:14) flat
          T: 7 mi (8:48) +325 ft and 30+ mph wind
          F: 10 min easy, 12 min fartlek (6 various speed sections of ~20 – 80 sec), 25 min easy
          S: law exam
          S: 15 mi (7:45) 1st half (7:52) 2nd half (7:38)
          I didn’t take the time for an easy run on Saturday as it was more important to cram and take a law exam. I’m supposed to get my second covid shot this week but I’m thinking of delaying it a week since I’m on graveyards all week and I’m not sure I want to handle another stress stimulus. People at work in my department say it’s been about 80% of them felt like crap from 2nd dose. Or maybe I do it anyways and get it over with since I won’t be feeling great anyways. I'm not sure.

It is great to see you running and posting Mikkey  September isn't really that far off. But if you just ran 15 miles out of nowhere at 7:30 - you're going to be fine! I hope the heel doesn't interfere with your plans.

That's awesome news and long run JT!! I'm so glad it's come around. Hopefully you didn't feel any residual today.

OMR: 30s and 40s (above) sound fabulous. I'm glad you're back outside. I would probably do the 14k. Any of those distances would be nice options to get the legs and lungs going for fun.

Otter: I agree with you on the ultra marathon community description. Relays are another great thing. They have been some of my most treasured experiences. I think my team even placed last in one of them (?) lol. But we got first too - in our division - since we were the only Women's only Ultra team. Good times (in the real sense)!

OMR

Marby:  That strain must be feeling better if you managed a 21+M long run.  Good to hear the 50k is on.

Dwave:  Solid week as always, and congrats on getting the second shot.

Ian:  Do you have a link for the Dartmoor 55k?  I've used the 1080s as well (not for PF, but just got them fairly cheap), and liked them.

JT:  Solid week, and nice work on the LR.  I think Dwave may have been right about the mini-break being good for you.  You're correct about things picking up...ran 7 x 100 strides today, and the cadence was back in the 190-200+ range.  Felt good to not feel like I'm 80, hahaha.

jhudak:  Nice week as well, do you often have 3 quality days in addition to a LR?

cinnamon:  Does a law exam count as cross-training?  I'm going to say yes.  FYI, tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 68 degrees here. :-)  Then a front is going to come through, and "fake spring #1" will come to an end.  I could envision a relay that involved a group of people from this thread...that could be a fun experience.

S: law exam

from pharmacy to law?  that is some change!

cheers!

Ian5

OMR-It is called Dartmoor discovery,run by a really good local club.

https://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/our-races/dartmoor-discovery

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

OMR

OMR-It is called Dartmoor discovery,run by a really good local club.

https://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/our-races/dartmoor-discovery

Thanks for the link, that looks like fun!

cinnamon: A law exam! So does that mean you're joining to the Darkside (pun intended DW)?  I hope it went well!  Definitely a good reason to cut back the training a bit.

OMR: I agree it would be fun to have an ultra relay team (or any distance relay) put together from people here.  BTW, that cadence looks great!

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

from pharmacy to law?  that is some change!

cheers!

I was going to say...I liked how she just snuck that in there....And Cinnamon - that looks like a hard week coming up between the shot and the graveyard shifts (just the graveyard shifts would be tough).

Jhudak - regarding the Arlington tracks - the reasoning was that those times are when the various school sports (which started before they restarted the schools) might be in session and using the track.  And so they're barring anyone outside the school from using the track or infield during that time to ensure not too many people are there - it's a social distancing thing.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have a lot of respect for cinnamon....I remember reading one of her race reports a couple of years ago and she took a knee at the start line when nobody else was doing it.  A leader and and not a follower. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Weekly for period: From: 03/08/2021 To 03/14/2021

Date Name Distance
                          in mi
                          Duration Avg Pace
                          per mi
                          Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          03/09/2021 Afternoon Run 10.05 01:22:18 08:11 472
                          03/10/2021 Afternoon Run 5.95 00:49:37 08:20 243
                          03/12/2021 Afternoon Run 10.07 01:18:23 07:47 469
                          03/14/2021 Warm up 1.48 00:11:24 07:42 23
                          03/14/2021 Trying to keep HR below 150 HM 13.12 01:34:05 07:10 502
                          03/14/2021 Cool down 1.43 00:11:55 08:20 66

Total distance: 42.09mi

Mikkey-Any news on Richmond,I've noticed a fair races opening entries for the end of April,so I think it's promising.

A hectic week in work stopped my plans for a second successive 50m week so happy enough with 42.

If my spring race goes ahead I'm planning on running it around 155 HR so did a half today at 150max to see how it came out,finished in 1:34 so pretty happy with that after the last few months as it felt controlled and no where near full effort.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My week...

Mon - 6 @ 8:16

Tue - 14 @ 7:38

Fri - 10 @ 8:46

Sun - 18 @ 7:29 w/2x3 @ 6:42 avg (1 mile recovery)

Total - 48

I was planning on more miles, but the weather was awful from Wed to Sat and had to force myself out the door on Friday for a shuffle. I would normally do all my faster workouts and a good 40% of my training at the gym on the TM during this time of year...but they won’t be opening for another 4 weeks even though more than 1/3 of the UK has already had their first jab (all over 60s and the younger at risk folk) and infection rates/hospital admissions are WAY down! I’m booked in for my first jab in a couple of weeks time and second one middle of June as we have them 12 weeks apart.

I’m heading to Belfast next week to see the parents, so I’m tempted to do a 5000m TT at the Mary Peters track as it’s only a mile from their house. I’m not sure if I’ll be running any tune-up races before Richmond as all the local ones that I know of have been cancelled. I’m not like darkwave and would never travel more than a 90min journey for any race less than a marathon. 

Ian - Good encouraging half run 👍 ...if it was controlled effort at 150 then you’ll probably be able to go higher than 155 in a race environment. I haven't heard anything from Richmond so I’m assuming it’s still on. They’re still going ahead with the Olympic Trials there on the 26th March (on a 5.5km loop)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi all - quickly dumping off my week; will come back later (likely Tuesday) for shoutouts.

62 miles, 1500 yards swimming, and 2 hours of pool-running
                              M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                              T: 12 miles including 2x1600m, 2x800m in 6:24, 6:14, 3:02, 3:00; 5 minutes jogging recoveries after the 1600s; 2:30 jogging recovery between 800s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming
                              W: 10.5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:11), drills, and streaming yoga. .
                              Th: 3 miles very easy on treadmill (9:33), 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                              F: 12 miles, including a tempo workout of 4 miles in 25:42 (6:25/6:32/6:22/6:23). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                              Sa: 11 miles very easy (8:46), 6 steep hill sprints, and upper body weights/core.
                              Su: 14 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 8:44 pace, next 5 miles averaging 7:44 pace, next 4 miles averaging 7:18 pace, and then a .5 mile cooldown (notable tailwind for first half; notable headwind for second half). Followed with leg injury prevention work, 500 yards recovery swimming and 20 minutes pool-running.

Hey everyone,

My last two weeks have been interesting.  This past week was my first week over 30 miles since 2015.

I did a 7 miler mid week at 7:26 pace on trails.  Yesterday, I got out and chased my team around a park for their fartlek run and ended up with 5 miles at varying paces without really intending on doing a workout.  Today one of my athletes talked me into running the first 5 of his easy long run with him and we averaged 7:04 pace on trails so I am fairly happy and surprised to be able to do that and still talk the entire time.

Still about 10-15 pounds too heavy but I am slowly feeling like myself again.