2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Laura - Great to see you back as your knowledge and experience will be great for this thread. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

Happy 2021!  Welcome aboard everyone Smile  Thanks again JT for starting this thread.  I kind of fell off from somewhat regular posting in late 2020 so lets start anew.

My bio: Joe from Melbourne, FL and originally from Buffalo, NY - so go Bills Wink  I've been running pretty consistently for the past 11 or so years which started primarily as a health thing, but then eventually got competitive running races of all sorts of distances.  I just turned 40 back in August so I'm officially now in the Masters category.  I'm also married, but without children.  My job allows me quite a bit of flexibility to run so pretty blessed in that regard.  Eventually began following a Daniels training regime about 3 years ago and began knocking down all sorts of PR's from the 5K to the marathon.  As for 2020, I was able to PR in just about every distance - mostly before COVID turned the world upside-down - as a culmination of very high volume (4060 miles), really slowing down most of my days in general, and capitalizing on several years worth of fitness gains.  I've been lucky to live in FL where we still have the occasional races like my half marathon last December as well.  My bigger race goals out of the state have pretty much been all cancelled though.

As for 2021 not exactly sure as of yet except to continue racing local events whenever possible.  Other than a few short races and a couple of small workouts I've gone 3-4 weeks of nothing but mostly easy running since early December so that will probably bode well down the road. I'd like to finally knock out a sub 75 half this spring (I ran 75:03 in early December) and perhaps chase down a 5K or 10K PR at some point.  I'm hopeful for a fall build for a marathon which will likely be CIM.  Fingers crossed!

So here are my "official" plans for now LOL

Best Damn Orlando: Mar 6 (sub 75)

Buffalo 20th Anniversary Half Marathon: May 2021

CIM: December 2021???

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Laura: Welcome back! Great to have you back here. I remember your win at Buffalo, that was awesome. I'm glad you're back running and hope this year brings you positive things on all fronts. Nice week; I'm sure you will get the fitness back quickly. I like the idea of 5k or 10k time trials; I've done both on the track and may do a 5k after this 2 mile nonsense if things go well.

Weather: Great to have you back as well! 2020 was a great year for you; look at all those PRs! You are close to sub 16 in the 5k which would be awesome. I also think there's a lot more time you will chop off that marathon PR as well. As I mentioned before, I think you're a bit faster than JMac and if you run CIM you should be able to better his time from that course.

DW: Just read your race report. I definitely would not worry about that one. Your training has been going much better than that reflects. Seems like a lot of things came together at once and threw you off your game. Did you slip on the wooden bridge or just lose your balance? I know when I run in MI, there are wooden bridges on the trail I use and if it is raining they are very slippery.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Losingrace wow you must have been REALLY close to me at CIM 2019. I ran 2:59. Wonder if we were in the pace group for a while.

I might sign up for CIM again. I really think it will happen and I said that about 2020. It all depends on how I train this year. Kid #2 due soon and I don't want to run CIM at anything less than my best. The race has done wonderful things for my marathon training motivation (I PR there every time) and has even captured the passion of people I typically run with all year long. I think I've hyped it up so much, then take training so serious that anyone who comes along for the ride is going to do great things.

oh yeah...I expected to be training for an April marathon on the East Coast right about now. It was to be my first one. Eventaully they'll open registration and I'll ideally get in with ease. I REALLY don't want to have to beat my BQ by six minutes "due to covid 19."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I spend most of my time in sub-90, but I'll jump in here as well.

Kyle here. 36 years old and from flyover country (Oklahoma) USA. Married (11 years in March) with 3 daughters (ages 3, 6, 9). I'm an adult-onset runner, starting in July 2015. I jumped in to running headfirst after doing a 5k with my wife's family and discovered I loved it and wondered just how fast I could end up getting at the distance.

Obviously not much of a racing year in 2020. I did get in a marathon (Cowtown in Ft. Worth, blew up in unseasonal heat) and a 50k (Landrun, 2 weeks post marathon, and at the very start of races really shutting down for the year). I planned on running a small marathon in November, but ran into a back/hip/leg issue that, while I'm confident wasn't caused by running, did severely impact my running - both mileage/workout wise and desire, and so skipped the marathon.

Right now I'm building back and thinking of targeting a HM in March and there's the possibility of a local 5k (typical fundraiser for the XC/track teams) early in March as well. I'm not sure I can be in PR shape by then, but I'm going to give it all I can. After that I'll just see where things (my fitness, the racing calendar...) are before making more plans/goals for the year.
            I also want to finally win that blasted HM in Texas that I've placed 2nd at 4 of the 5 years it has been run. Oh, and run MOAR miles. That goes without saying.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

from flyover country (Oklahoma)

Sometime, you should hear me sing "surry with the fringe"!   (I'm from one of the "Big, Square States", so I can take liberties.)

Apologies for derailing with non-running stuff, but I was asked about vaccine side effects (me and colleagues recently got Pfizer #2).

shot #1: just a sore arm (that starts the following day)

shot #2: fever&chills during the night (goes away by the next day).  Nearly everyone got this.

Younger people get a stronger immune response (sorer arm, higher fever)

If you had covid before, expect fever after just the 1st dose.

Everything is easily manageable (and resolves in a day).

Cheers and happy running.  (Hopefully lots of actual races this year!)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sometime, you should hear me sing "surry with the fringe"!   (I'm from one of the "Big, Square States", so I can take liberties.)

Let me show you the way...

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marby

Ash

OMR, Losingrace - Looking forward to watching a return to form for all on the comeback trail.

JTR – Good call on ditching the fourth 800.  You sure have got a lot faster since we last connected.

DWave - Think you are onto it with the racing a bit too much.  Took a squiz at your log, 4 races within 5 weeks and no rest day for over 7 weeks. No doubt you could have achieved more doing less.

Weather – I’ve been absent here but have peeked occasionally and also watched your progression on strava over the last few years, very impressive! Interesting in your bio you put that down to consistently stringing years together, volume and easy running (plus a bit of Daniels). It’s not rocket science, or atmospheric science for that matter, and the antithesis of everything I’ve done.

DPS, Mikkey, RP, Keen, Rovati – Hi, looking forward to connecting/reconnecting and the 2021 journey.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Keen: Welcome to the thread! I've lurked/followed your training on the 1:30 group and you've been very consistent over the years, with impressive mileage. Winning that half would be impressive and sounds like a good target! I hope your build-up goes well and 2021 is injury free for you. Let me know the details of your March races if you'd like me to put them in the table. I may post on the 1:30 half (beyond the occasional drop-in to joke with Piwi Kiwi) once I figure out what half marathon I will target this year. Need to do some research and find a really flat one within driving distance.

rovatti: Thanks for letting us know how the vaccination went. Looking forward to getting it.

Finding myself stuck in a common winter morning mental debate: go drive to the track and run a workout in the wind, bitter cold and dark or go downstairs and do it on the treadmill....

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Finding myself stuck in a common winter morning mental debate: go drive to the track and run a workout in the wind, bitter cold and dark or go downstairs and do it on the treadmill....

track.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'll allow it, so long as I can follow it up with "Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin'".

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

OMR

JT:  Thanks.  There's a guy in my age group that has run the Fall 50M several times.  He was ranked #2 in the world that year.  I kind of want to try to beat him, hahaha.  Looking forward to following you on Strava.  Regarding going to the track in winter, the other day I noticed a guy shoveling off one lane of the track that is just a couple of blocks from me.  400 meters of shoveling...

Losingrace & Dwave:  Thanks for the condolences on the passing of our cats.  Definitely a sh***y year on so many levels.  My wife looks at the local pet adoption page nightly, so I don't think we will be pet-free for too much longer.

Losingrace:  Impressive PRs.  Good to know someone else is attempting to make a comeback.

rovatti:  Glad to hear you didn't have serious side effects.

Marby:  Hi!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cheers and happy running.  (Hopefully lots of actual races this year!)

rovatti - You need to post a bio as I think only darkwave and myself remember your Garmin Sub 3 marathon. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I went with the treadmill yesterday.  Mostly because I wanted to try out my new fancy speed sensor for the treadmill.  And also because I thought things were about to get sketchy in the DC area, so why run outside if I could stay in.

To put in context - I'm nowhere near the Capitol - about 5.5 miles away.  But...our house is VERY close to one of the hotels where the out-of-town protesters were staying (9 out of 10 of whom I'm sure were peaceful and just came to have their say - it was the other 10% I was worried about).

I felt pretty safe during the day, when everybody was downtown.  My worry was about what they might do before or after (especially after) the day's events.  In events like these, people who feel like they haven't been fulfilled during the day will act out their aggression in other areas at night.  Thankfully, our Governor enacted a curfew on Arlington from 6 pm to 6 am last night - I felt a bit safer once I heard that.  Probably the first time I've been enthusiastic about a curfew.

And...as far as we can tell, nothing happened in our neighborhood last night so yay!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.