2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

jhudak55

Ian: That half looks really good keeping your HR at 150. Curious how/why you picked 155 HR to run your spring half at?

Mickey: Do you have a goal for the 5k or is it a fitness check?

DW: Nice week, especially with the variety/quantity of workouts.

My week:

23.1 miles

M: 3.3 miles easy (8:24)

T: 8 miles with a 15 minute tempo (6:38), 4 minute rest, 12 minute tempo (6:40)

W-T: Off

F: 5.1 miles easy (8:29)

S: 3.1 miles easy (8:12)

S: 5k race in 19:12

Lower mileage week, partly because I took off Wednesday/Thursday and partly due to no long run. I did get to run a real race though and came in second overall in a very small field. The winner finished 45 seconds ahead of me and third was a minute or two back, so it was solo pretty much the entire time. Regardless, it was great to race and this was a good indicator that I am running workouts pretty much right where I should be.

Ian5

Jhudak-That is a very nice solo time,well done.

I didn't explain properly,it is a marathon I am aiming for.As I'm still getting fitness back after my injuries I don't want to over exert and aim for a time.I seen my last few marathons I've gotten to around halfway at 155 ,so thought if I can keep to that then effort wise I'm in the right ball park and the time will be what it is.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mickey: Do you have a goal for the 5k or is it a fitness check?

Definitely a fitness check as I haven’t raced in a couple of years!  Congrats getting silver medal in the 5k....I’m pretty sure you’d have gone sub 19 in a group. 👍

Ian - So 155bpm is your normal average marathon HR? Yeah it needs to be lower than that for MP training runs.

otter - Good to see you back again. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Mikkey-Frankfurt was probably my best paced race,I had the first couple of miles at 153,then steady at 155 for 4-14,then gradual increases to end at 163,average was 157.Todays run averaged 145.Would you say that is in the right ball park?

Ian: Nice work on that half!

Mikkey: Great job on that long run; your fitness is already looking pretty good and by London should be PR-level! Good luck on the 5k time trial if you decide to do it.

DW: Strong looking week.

otter: Sounds like things are progressing nicely if 7 min pace on trails felt easy!

jhudak: Excellent job on the 5k race! I agree with Mikkey; if you had people around you to race you would have been under 19.

I managed a workout this week with no issues with the hamstring which was a relief. It got very warm and I was able to run in shorts a couple of days this week. The warm weather melted all the snow so I was able to run on trails again for the first time in many weeks. On today's long run I took a detour on trails I'd never gone on before which led to a beautiful outlook over a cliff where you could see forever; did not have my phone but I'll definitely take it next time and get some pictures.

Weekly for period: From: 03/08/2021 To 03/14/2021

Date Name Distance
            in mi
            Duration Avg Pace
            per mi
            Elevation Gain
            in ft
            Tue Morning Run 10.16 1:24:22 8:18 564
            Wed Lunch Run w/ 2 mi + 2 x 1 mi 10.35 1:09:39 6:44 358
            Thu Morning Run 6.24 54:17 8:42 394
            Fri Morning Run w/ hill loop 11.13 1:34:56 8:32 994
            Sat Trail run 8.56 1:20:03 9:21 522
            Sun Long run 22.02 3:06:22 8:28 2113

Total distance: 68.47 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

DW - I'm a big fan of the water running,  I wish I can get my athletes in the water more often.  I also like the short steep hills.  We do a lot of this kind of work.

Jhud- Good to take an easier week.  Nice race

Ian - Nice controlled half

Thanks Mikkey - I like the 2x3.  That is a favorite of mine and will be doing that kind of work once ny volume is higher.

JT - It was my athlete's easy run but unfortunately still hard for me but I'm happy anyway!  Nice huge hilly long run today!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ian - very interesting use of HR for training. I'm familiar with Hadd training, or of training by zones, but this is the first time I've seen of running a prescribed race distance at a set fraction of your expected HR for a race at that distance.

Mikkey - congrats on getting scheduled. Enjoy the trip to see family!

Otter - those runs are sounding promising.  And yup - I'm a big fan of water-running.  I just wish I could book longer slots.  We're officially limited to 45 minutes a day (with enough leeway that you can usually fit in an extra 5 minutes)

JHudak - nice job on the race! How was the towpath near Georgetown?

JTReeves - more good news on the hammy. I'm really glad to see this.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

jhudak:  Congrats on the 5K!

Ian:  I've done something similar for marathon pace workouts (not as part of a race), just to get a reading on where my fitness was at.  It usually wound up being just slightly aggressive for my actual marathon pace.

Mikkey:  I totally understand the weather misery.  Nice miles given just the four runs.

Dwave:  Nice week, and a solid Tuesday workout.  FYI, I think I've discovered one additional potential benefit of the elliptical work.  I haven't had any hip pain since I returned to running.  I normally have had what I've thought was arthritis pain in my left hip, but now I'm wondering if some strengthening occurred while spending all of that time on the elliptical.  I'm planning to keep one elliptical workout per week - heavy on the resistance - to see if that continues.

otter:  Congrats on getting over 30!

JT:  Solid week, well-done on the LR and mid-week workout, and good to hear there are no issues with the hammy.

My week was a bit odd.  Had an SVT event on Friday that messed things up for the day, and a planned family visit on Saturday (outdoors and socially distanced, although everyone except for me has had at least their first vaccination shot).

S:  7.2M @ 8:19

M:  5.7M @ 7:56 w/7 x 100m strides

T:  15M @ 8:24 (long run Tuesday)

W:  5.4M @ 8:27

T:  6.6M Elliptical

F:  Rest

S:  Rest

Total:  33.3M running, 6.6M elliptical

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just dropping in to say Boston has announced they'll allow 20,000 runners IF in person racing is there. I don't expect to be selected with my time so I'll probably go back to CIM and try to requalify for 2022 unless Boston changes the rules again. Yes I'm bitter over it. Yes I fully expect BAA to tell me "The 2018 times were extended two years because of COVID 19 and your 2019 time won't be even though the race capacity was reduced due to COVID."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR: That's great your hip has no pain since the all-elliptical period. Good idea to keep a session on it. What muscles do you think it is strengthening, glutes? Or hip flexors?

Running Problem: Boston, CIM, and COVID.... your 3 favorite topics. Why not branch out to a different marathon?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

On the branching out topic, if you had to pick Indy or Richmond, which would you pick (putting aside location, they're about equidistant for me). Seems like my buddies may be scheduling a Vegas trip the week before CIM as a way to "get back to normal." I don't think 3 nights in Vegas is the recipe for success in the last week of a taper 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ian5

RP-How many internationals usually do Boston? That could reduce the numbers a bit.I am -13 but won't be entering as I don't want to take a chance on flights,surge etc.

Good news I have been selected for my first vaccine on Thursday so should be fully done by mid June.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

On the branching out topic, if you had to pick Indy or Richmond, which would you pick (putting aside location, they're about equidistant for me). Seems like my buddies may be scheduling a Vegas trip the week before CIM as a way to "get back to normal." I don't think 3 nights in Vegas is the recipe for success in the last week of a taper 

Indy, honestly.  Richmond is a well run race, and not a bad choice, but it has some rollers in the first half that are a little harsher than you expect (keep in mind that I ran Richmond after training for flat Indy, so my perception may be biased).   I think Indy is the faster course, based on reports from friends who have run Indy, combined with my own and others' experiences with Richmond.

Also worth noting that for Indy, the expo is traditionally downtown, right by the start/finish and the hotels.  For Richmond, the expo is a few miles outside of the start/finish and hotels, so you have to factor in some extra time and effort to get there.    (All of this is assuming that expos will be a thing this fall).

I think Indy also works a bit harder at appealing to people in your pace range, meaning that you'll have more people to run with (though you should have some people at both).

Both are good choices.  I think Indy is slightly better (and is what I chose).

Hotels for Richmond traditionally go quite fast, so if you are considering it, I would book now.  Indy has a larger number of hotels, so finding a room isn't quite as tough.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW is the expert, but I would also go for Indy between those two, mainly because it's flat and Richmond is quite hilly. I lived in Indianapolis for a couple of years and it is a very convenient city travel-wise. I also know a lot of people who ran Indy and they loved it.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey-Frankfurt was probably my best paced race,I had the first couple of miles at 153,then steady at 155 for 4-14,then gradual increases to end at 163,average was 157.Todays run averaged 145.Would you say that is in the right ball park?

If that’s all you’ve got to go on then I would agree that 155 is a good guideline for a half MP run. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)