2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Marby: Great job on the 50k! You held the pace really consistently throughout, so I'm assuming it was a relatively pleasant experience.

DW: Nice week. What is your usual weekly mileage while marathon training?

jhudak: Looks like the fitness is definitely returning with that tempo and LR.

Mikkey: Great to see the quality training and mileage from you, and sounds like you are really enjoying it which is most important!

My week went well; a good 3 x 2 mi workout on the road and a decent LR today with a fast finish. 3 weeks till race day, so this week will be similar to previous weeks but then tapering will begin!  I'm scheduled for dose #1 of the vaccine Wednesday afternoon which works well; I'll do my weekly workout that morning, then easy running the next several days in case I feel lousy.

Weekly for period: From: 03/15/2021 To 03/21/2021

Date Name Distance
    in mi
    Duration Avg Pace
    per mi
    Elevation Gain
    in ft
    Tue Morning Run 10.02 1:24:30 8:26 545
    Wed Morning Run w/ 3 x 2 mi 13.05 1:28:51 6:49 528
    Thu Morning Run 6.30 54:49 8:42 394
    Fri Morning Run 10.11 1:25:36 8:28 0
    Sat Trails in Sega Park 8.22 1:15:40 9:12 630
    Sun Long run 22.02 2:37:41 7:10 974

Total distance: 69.72 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

Ian5

Marby-The 50k was very well paced,well done.

Just-I had my jab on Thursday,I was fine easy running yesterday,but rough when i tried to push up hills and the HR got high.

A quiet week this week again,mainly due to the jab putting me out of action for a couple of days,worth it though.39 miles,all easy,hopefully have a better week this week as I have an extra day off.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

jhudak55

Nice week to you as well.

We had a sorta-forum encounter....I parked in Parking lot A (right near the 395 bridge) just before 7:30 am - I got there by taking 395 in, and then taking the Potomac Park exit before making a right onto Buckeye and another onto Ohio Drive.  As I was waiting to make the right, two guys ran by on Buckeye, going counter clockwise.    Based on your Strava - one of them was you...

(I remember the runners specifically because I had really struggled with the tights/shorts decision before going with shorts this morning.  So I was checking out runners to see if anyone else was wearing shorts.....)

DW: That sounds like me. I was the taller guy who was likely running in front with a teal long sleeve. I hope you went with shorts, it was an almost perfect morning.

Mickey: Solid week. Especially with the tempo work considering your time off from it. Good luck on the TT.

JT: Good week. The long runs appear to have been going really well. How are you feeling about sub 2:50?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Nice week. What is your usual weekly mileage while marathon training?

Generally around 65-70 as an average (with a lot of variation in my weekly mileage, depending on where my pool-running days fall).  I don't really target a weekly mileage goal - marathon training is more a matter of shifting to longer marathon specific workouts, which bumps my weekly mileage up simply because the workouts are longer.

Good workouts for you - that 22 miler looked very strong!  And congrats on getting scheduled!

Ian - congrats on the jab to you as well.  Your second is not for six months, right?

JHudak - yup - definitely saw you.  And I went with shorts.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ian5

DW 11-12 weeks is the schedule,so early June.I have my ultra 5th June so will try and get it just after that if possible.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

JT: Good week. The long runs appear to have been going really well. How are you feeling about sub 2:50?

Thanks. I'm feeling like sub 2:50 is possible if everything lines up...but then again I've felt that way for the past 3 marathons and it didn't pan out. This time around I think I should not be over-trained, given the shorter cycle and the down time from the hamstring strain, so hopefully that will be a plus.

the Mary Peters track is soo amazing and therapeutic and in beautiful surroundings.  

How old were you when you left Belfast?  My memories (just from the news) were grim.... the troubles, bombs, BobbySands, etc

Was it actually like that?  Sound like you have fond memories?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

How old were you when you left Belfast?  My memories (just from the news) were grim.... the troubles, bombs, BobbySands, etc

Was it actually like that?  Sound like you have fond memories?

I meant that the track is in a nice location!...plus there are some scenic trail runs nearby. I remember the hunger strikes and recently watched the Bobby Sands documentary (66 days) which was very moving and sad. I left about 35 years ago and it’s much better now!

Anyway, managed 19:11 this morning which I’ll take. My GPS always shows about 25sec/mile too fast, so I went for manual splits every 4 laps....5:58, 6:12, 6:16. 0:45. I’ll probably do another 5k TT on the road in a couple of weeks time.

And the great Mary Peters....

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks. I'm feeling like sub 2:50 is possible if everything lines up...but then again I've felt that way for the past 3 marathons and it didn't pan out. This time around I think I should not be over-trained, given the shorter cycle and the down time from the hamstring strain, so hopefully that will be a plus.

Is this finally the race you get it done? I hope so! I've always been optimistic about your ability to get it done. I know you'll probably dismiss this, but maybe try running more than once in the 4 days prior. You have a very extreme taper, more than anyone I've ever seen. You don't need to run every day, but even getting out for 30 minutes one additional day could make a big difference race day. Peaking around 70ish MPW, I would do 7 5 0 3 the 4 days prior. Since you like more of a taper, maybe do 5 4 0 3. But I do think just getting your legs moving those days can help. Going from running 6 days a week to just 2 or 3 is a shock to the system.

Just a friendly thought. Or, just blow this off and still break 2:50 to show me how wrong I am 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey, that track and surroundings is a dead ringer for the Brookfield HS track near where I live. Amazing how similar it looks! You sure you didn't sneak over to the US to run that TT? Great job BTW.

JMac: I value your advice and won't just dismiss it! In my defense, I think you're a bit over-stating my usual taper, which is just to take the 2 days before the race off. I think in once case I took 3 days prior off, but it's otherwise just 2. It seems the classic formula is to take the day 2 days prior off and then do a short run the day before. I'm willing to give that a try this time. How's that for compromise? 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Running Problem: Boston, CIM, and COVID.... your 3 favorite topics. Why not branch out to a different marathon?

Travel restriction in place at work due to COVID 19. Boston is probably not going to happen for me and it's been a goal race for probably 7 years with three or four being a point I got serious about it. I guess I could pick a different marathon but it seems like every marathon I find is either sold out, or doesn't allow people outside of a specific area to participate. SO it's really hard at this point to just branch out to a different marathon when the goal I've had and the bar I've set has just been ripped away from me. It's actually seriously hard to even motivate myself to go run when I could start doing more jeep stuff. It could include the family, and outdoor recreation has been socially distanced since the beginning of time.  COVID isn't a favorite topic of mine. It's a pain in the ass. If I leave the state I have to stay home for 10 days. If I get vaccinated I don't get any more or less freedoms. I have friends and family who don't visit and have said we can hang out as soon as covid 19 vaccinations allow it. Also, it's caused me to work from home, which I love, and now I'm hearing it's not going to be allowed when COVID 19 ends and just further proves to me work doesn't give two fucks about what I enjoy or don't like about the office. It's more important to them I show up and be miserable in the office where no one wants to talk to me, than let me sit at home like I have for the past year and let no one talk to me.  So NOT in a nutshell, it isn't just so simple as to branch out to a different marathon. Heck, it was just announced a local 5k and 10k can happen, on different days, with no medal, and absolutely no after party. I'd rather run a time trial and keep my money than follow that bullshit. I can't wait until COVID 19 is no longer in the news and all the unvaccinated people who weren't able to jump the line by claiming they are essential are sitting next to a stranger at a restaurant and no one wears a mask because we don't worry about COVID 19. I look forward to CIM along with other friends because I have GREAT memories of that race including meeting people from this and the last forum. I don't know of another opportunity where 3-7 people from this forum are going to show up and have brunch, or spend an hour together or maybe even sight see on a casual jog ever again. I could just as easily isolate from the forum as many others have and no one would really miss me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

WTF?

RP - How about you dump that post onto the half thread...and any other covid related stuff that you want to get off your chest in the future? Totally bored with the rants now.

JT - Thanks and fingers crossed that you go sub2:50! You’ve had some bad luck with the weather in your previous marathons...plus running solo is mentally tough!. I’m also in the very little mileage camp in the final week with 2 or 3 days off...but JMac is pretty knowledge, so I may have to think about changing my taper in May. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Regarding tapering, I remember from The Four Minute Mile that Roger Bannister took 5 days off running before big races. Now that's a serious taper, especially since he was racing a mile most of the time! But it obviously worked for him.

JMac, I wanted to ask how running at 9000 ft has been? Seems like you got used to it fairly quickly, or at least are able to run your sea level easy pace. If you train a significant time up there you should be able to really tear it up once you come back down to the lowlands.

OMR

Marby:  Congrats on the 50k (I'm a little late to the party, but congrats anyway!).

Dwave:  Nice week, I've done the treadmill pace miscalculations more times than I'd like to admit.  Are you targeting anything specific for the upcoming HM?

jhudak:  Nice week and 18M LR.

Mikkey:  60 is a nice round number, and those two workouts are impressive.

Ian:  Congrats on getting the jab.  I'll hopefully be getting one next week.  I've had to wait because I got the shingles vaccine a couple of weeks ago, and was told I need to wait three weeks before getting another vaccine.  I figured the COVID vaccine wouldn't be made available to me until sometime in May at the earliest, and suddenly there seems to be an abundance of vaccines around here.

RP:  Interesting how different North Dakota is handling things.  Fargo had St. Patrick's Day races this past Saturday.  I chose not to run because I was concerned about how they would handle COVID restrictions, but I saw a photo on the local news of the start.  Everyone jam packed together at a narrow starting line, masks obviously were not required, and they also had an after-party.  I'm glad I chose to run by myself instead.

JT:  Things seem to be shaping up nicely for you.  I'm not familiar with your previous PR attempts, but I'm curious about how you taper.  Based on JMac's comment, I'm wondering if you struggle with getting the right muscle tension on race day due to how you approach the last few days.  If you're not familiar, I'll dump a link here to an article about muscle tension.  I had a link to another article by Steve Magness about his approach to the last 7 days (more specific workouts), but I can't seem to find it right now.  I've used this info to make plans/adjustments in the week leading up to goal races with a fair amount of success, meaning that I usually wind up pretty close to how I want to feel, but it is somewhat of an art form, so I don't always get it right.  But one of the things the article talks about is how taking too much rest causes the muscles to relax too much, which has a negative impact on race day.  Having said all of that, I'm not anywhere near as fast as you and some others around here.

Speaking of muscle tension, my legs seem to have begun springing to life this past week, so maybe all that elliptical work is starting to transfer over to running.  Best week I've had in a long time...

S:  10M @ 7:45 w/6 x 1000m cruise intervals

M:  8.5M @ 8:17

T:  6.5M @ 8:23

W:  9M @ 8:07

T:  17.5M @ 8:12

F:  Rest

S:  8.2M @ 7:59

Total:  59.8M

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Maybe I just remembered that one odd one, but I always thought you did 0 4 0 0 or something like that. It's funny, Pfitz I don't think even tells you to take a day off, so I always thought my taper was a bit more conservative as I always take 2 days off before the race.

I actually do agree with the little mileage camp. I will say for someone running 70 miles a week usually, if you're doing 7 5 0 3 the days before the race, that's only 15 miles! You could even do 6 4 0 3. The minimum I would do is 5 4 0 2.

Probably something in the middle does make sense so it's not a shock in the other direction! I think your compromise makes sense. I will also agree with Mikkey that running solo is probably the bigger issue. however, I will say that I have done a ton of research into tapering and it seems like the vast majority of people that fail are the ones who take too many days completely off or over taper more than a few days out.

Elevation - it sucks. My first night here, I walked up one flight of stairs and was completely out of breath. I also was out of breath sleeping, which was fun. I don't know why but it hits me harder than most. My first run was a complete disaster, ran a 5K and literally felt like I raced it, I was coughing for hours afterwards like I do with a race. Now, I'd say I'm pretty used to it. I still find hills to be tough, something about the lack of oxygen gets me there.

I have a lot of respect for these guys who train constantly at this altitude. Most guys I think train lower in the US, like Boulder which is about 5K feet and Flagstaff which is 7K, but even that is pretty rough. Seems like Kipchoge trains around 8K. I imagine if you start getting too high (10K+) you start losing the benefits.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)