2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Thanks Cal. I thought that Western States was probably the one you talked about and were trying to get into. I watched a lot of Youtube and documentaries on ultras when on the treadmill a while ago and though I never thought I would be, I am interested in them now. I already talked about it before here but it was during your absence. I was just amazed by Walmsley in particular. But running in those kind of environments, in the mountains and on trails, looks like so much fun. So I think I'll try some trail races this summer and maybe try for a 50k race and see how it goes. No ambitions as big as a 100 mile race, but you never know. Was there anyone from the old thread (or new one) who did Western States? I seem to remember Tom did a 100 miler, and maybe that guy from TN (relentless-something?).

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Anyway, let's not go down the rabbit hole on too many topics here. Otherwise, we'll be discussing ...if marathoners go to die in ultras.

Mikkey - I just said let's avoid that sensitive topic! Although you know you tug at my heart strings with golf. My golfing buddies say I waste too much time running because I can't play 36 holes on weekends with them during peak marathon training. They loved last year when I only casually ran and had no races.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Jesus wept.

No way would I ever do ultra stuff as it’s a completely different thing.  I’m 55yo, but I’ve still got a bit of speed in me and definitely still capable of PRs.  After that I’ll stick to golf rather than walk/shuffle ultras. 

You totally right - it's absolutely different comparing to a marathon. It's probably as different to it, as a marathon different to 1 mile race (though I never raced 1 mile Smile )

I was not sure for quite some time why I continued running ultras. First 100K I ran to qualify for Western States, and, probably because of curiosity and a little bit of ambition? Right after I ran it my first on, the reaction was - "I probably won't be running this thing anymore" - cannot imagine fighting and struggling for so long (first time was 12 and a half hours, 14K elevation gain). But after awhile, I got hooked (relatively, of course - I maybe ran about 10 100Ks and maybe few 50Ks - 50Ks with elevation of course). After all those ultras, I think the reason I continue is that you have to prove to yourself that you can still have it, that you can overcome the pain, the despair, finish what you eventually started in a relatively short period of time. Things that hard to emulate in real life (in real life if you get to a point of despair, it's much harder to overcome and it takes much much longer time). So, basically, it emulation of an unhappy life where you know you can end up as a happy camper after all. Seriously, it is so different from a marathon experience (and I love marathons) and that's why I like it.

P.S: all the above is only related to ultras with a significant elevation gains, flat road ultras is a different category, I think.

JTR - if you remember RWOL forum, there was a very fast marathoner (sub 2:40 after he was 50+ and first AG in Boston) - kayry. He ran Western States and ran it just under 24 hours - so, he got that awesome silver buckle. (envious). I think a participant of this forum (I think his nickname "paul" plus some numbers after paul) ran it too in 2017 or 2016 if I remember correctly.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I just said let's avoid that sensitive topic! Although you know you tug at my heart strings with golf. My golfing buddies say I waste too much time running because I can't play 36 holes on weekends with them during peak marathon training. They loved last year when I only casually ran and had no races.

But I know that you love a bit of drama. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

But I know that you love a bit of drama. 

True, now that Cal is back maybe we should all start that discussion about whether an Age Graded equivalent time means you actually could have ran that time if you were younger 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

True, now that Cal is back maybe we should all start that discussion about whether an Age Graded equivalent time means you actually could have ran that time if you were younger 

I’m not really bothered about AG, but I was obsessed about winning a Moose Mug since 2013!  I finally did it in 2019...but, I didn’t go under 2:50...and that is my London goal this year. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I actually think the AG predictor is very pessimistic. There should not be any discussion - I JUST KNOW I would run much faster than my AG predictor pessimistically predicts 

CalBears

I’m not really bothered about AG, but I was obsessed about winning a Moose Mug since 2013!  I finally did it in 2019...but, I didn’t go under 2:50...and that is my London goal this year. 👍

Sure, you can probably do that - but that will definitely be reported to marathon investigation site 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Very nice Mikkey. You were well under too. I bet the beer tastes better out of that 😋

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

That's fine - I have the same, just 2+ minutes faster (and no marathon investigation was issued  Wink

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Very nice Mikkey. You were well under too. I bet the beer tastes better out of that 😋

I would like to thank Nike from the bottom of my heart. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

CIM registration opens April 6. The race will probably go on with COVID 19 going away so rapidly these days.

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/

9am pst April 6. I think it's a Tuesday but who knows what day of the week it is anymore?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I actually think the AG predictor is very pessimistic. There should not be any discussion - I JUST KNOW I would run much faster than my AG predictor pessimistically predicts 

I hope I can run as fast as you at your age. Fun times at CIM thinking I dropped you/you faded back to your 3:01-2 prediction only to see you seconds after I crossed the finish line. Hopefully I can get back to that spot.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

nice. Hopefully this keeps going. Didn't it die out when the RWOL forums died?

VDOT 53.37